Author Topic: So now that Doc is returning , Mike Miller to the C's?  (Read 6111 times)

Re: So now that Doc is returning , Mike Miller to the C's?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2010, 09:55:01 PM »

Offline rkls134

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
I am not a Mike Miller fan. He might be able to shoot the ball, but he refuses to take shots. He's as slow as anyone in the league and not athletic at all. A total below the rim player, regardless of the rebound numbers, witch aren't that great anyway, 6per game. Al Harrington averaged 5per game and is more athletic and a better all around scorer off the bench.

Mike Miller was being asked to do too much in Washington (and in Minnesota).  Seems like he was having trouble figuring out if he needed to be a finisher or a facilitator.  Here, he'd have a pretty specific mandate; keep your hands up and ready to shoot it when Rondo gets it to you in your spot.

His rebounding numbers are about as good as you'll ever see from the SF/SG position.  Pierce was one of the best rebounding wings in his prime, and at his best was averaging about seven (while playing forty minutes).  LeBron's probably the best rebounding wing today, and he averages a bit more than 7/game in forty minutes; pretty much the same as Mike Miller's 6.2 in 33 minutes.

His defensive numbers aren't great, but they aren't horrid, either.  Slightly below-average defensively, but the Celtics system has historically made mediocre defenders like Ray Allen play a lot better on that side.

Is Mike Miller an All Star, or an MVP candidate?  No - but I think he's pretty clearly the best available wing player who's a realistic target for the MLE.  

Sounds like your making excuses for Millers low production, plus Harrington has a better career rebound average, 5.8 to Miller's 5.1, so if Miller is one of the best rebounders for his position that I'll ever see :o ::) , then so is Al.

Plus the athleticism and versatility you conveniently left out.

Plus Al has already made a ton of money, more than mike, and would probably really, really like a chance to play for ring,
particularly against guys like Artest and Odom who he played against coming up in NJ/NY area. He might take a deal faster than mike would.

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2010, 10:03:57 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
Tweet per: WojYahooNBA

"Mike Miller is turning into hot property, league executives say. He can expect offers starting north of mid-level exception in 1st year."

half a minute ago via web

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2010, 10:08:05 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

"Mike Miller is turning into hot property, league executives say. He can expect offers starting north of mid-level exception in 1st year."

Well that's not good.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2010, 10:16:14 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412

Surprised to hear the Knicks are seeing him on the first day of free agency.

I think that makes Miller their backup option. A maximum contract + re-sign David Lee + sign Mike Miller as their second choice if two max contracts falls through.

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2010, 10:20:14 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Kat is out of the bag.

NBA as a whole lacks quality big-men & quality shooter. Teams are willing to overpay a Ray Allen or M. Miller just to have a shooter. This also goes with ShaQ too. I wouldn't doubt if someone gives double what he is worth.

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2010, 11:08:42 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I am not a Mike Miller fan. He might be able to shoot the ball, but he refuses to take shots. He's as slow as anyone in the league and not athletic at all. A total below the rim player, regardless of the rebound numbers, witch aren't that great anyway, 6per game. Al Harrington averaged 5per game and is more athletic and a better all around scorer off the bench.

Mike Miller was being asked to do too much in Washington (and in Minnesota).  Seems like he was having trouble figuring out if he needed to be a finisher or a facilitator.  Here, he'd have a pretty specific mandate; keep your hands up and ready to shoot it when Rondo gets it to you in your spot.

His rebounding numbers are about as good as you'll ever see from the SF/SG position.  Pierce was one of the best rebounding wings in his prime, and at his best was averaging about seven (while playing forty minutes).  LeBron's probably the best rebounding wing today, and he averages a bit more than 7/game in forty minutes; pretty much the same as Mike Miller's 6.2 in 33 minutes.

His defensive numbers aren't great, but they aren't horrid, either.  Slightly below-average defensively, but the Celtics system has historically made mediocre defenders like Ray Allen play a lot better on that side.

Is Mike Miller an All Star, or an MVP candidate?  No - but I think he's pretty clearly the best available wing player who's a realistic target for the MLE.  

Sounds like your making excuses for Millers low production, plus Harrington has a better career rebound average, 5.8 to Miller's 5.1, so if Miller is one of the best rebounders for his position that I'll ever see :o ::) , then so is Al.

Plus Al has already made a ton of money, more than mike, and would probably really, really like a chance to play for ring,
particularly against guys like Artest and Odom who he played against coming up in NJ/NY area. He might take a deal faster than mike would.

Al Harrington and Mike Miller aren't directly comparable.  Mike Miller's a 2/3; Harrington's mostly a 3, who might play a little 4 in smallball lineups.  You'd expect him to rebound a bit better.

Miller can back up Paul, back up Ray, is one of the best shooters in the game, is a good and willing passer, and is a good rebounder at his position.  How's that not versatile?

As to athleticism...  we ain't talking And1 ball.  Miller's a good offensive player and a slightly below average defender; why's it really matter if he can play above the rim or not?  That wouldn't be his role on this team.

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2010, 11:16:06 PM »

Offline Truth Hurts

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
I am not a Mike Miller fan. He might be able to shoot the ball, but he refuses to take shots. 

There's an old story that if Miller passed up an open shot in practice, Doc would make him stand right next to him while the rest of the team ran.
"Odom drains another 16-footer. It's 24-7, Lakers. They look so possessed on both ends that they've earned at least five sitting ovations from the Lakers' crowd." - Simmons

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2010, 11:20:14 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Maybe.

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2010, 11:50:42 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

Mike Miller was being asked to do too much in Washington (and in Minnesota).  Seems like he was having trouble figuring out if he needed to be a finisher or a facilitator.  Here, he'd have a pretty specific mandate; keep your hands up and ready to shoot it when Rondo gets it to you in your spot.

His rebounding numbers are about as good as you'll ever see from the SF/SG position.  Pierce was one of the best rebounding wings in his prime, and at his best was averaging about seven (while playing forty minutes).  LeBron's probably the best rebounding wing today, and he averages a bit more than 7/game in forty minutes; pretty much the same as Mike Miller's 6.2 in 33 minutes.

His defensive numbers aren't great, but they aren't horrid, either.  Slightly below-average defensively, but the Celtics system has historically made mediocre defenders like Ray Allen play a lot better on that side.

Is Mike Miller an All Star, or an MVP candidate?  No - but I think he's pretty clearly the best available wing player who's a realistic target for the MLE. 

Harrington plays the 4.  Miller plays the 2/3.  Miller is a great rebounder at his position.  Harrington is a terrible one at his.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2010, 11:51:10 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
It doesn't hurt the chances obviously and I guess if anything, it can only help...but there are no guarantees.

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2010, 11:55:14 PM »

Offline rkls134

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3

Al Harrington and Mike Miller aren't directly comparable.  Mike Miller's a 2/3; Harrington's mostly a 3, who might play a little 4 in smallball lineups.  You'd expect him to rebound a bit better.

Miller can back up Paul, back up Ray, is one of the best shooters in the game, is a good and willing passer, and is a good rebounder at his position.  How's that not versatile?

As to athleticism...  we ain't talking And1 ball.  Miller's a good offensive player and a slightly below average defender; why's it really matter if he can play above the rim or not?  That wouldn't be his role on this team.

Harrington has played in lineups with true PF's and C's who could rebound, in Indiana(O'neal/Artest/),GS(Murphy/Biedrins), ATL(Josh Smith/Pachulia),NY(Lee)and came off the bench most of the time to give 17 and 7.

Al can Backup Paul and KG, and gives you the option to go ridiculously big if you slide Paul to the 2, witch would have been good for the Lakers series. Bring Tony back and there is your back up for Ray.

Are you seriously saying we don't need athleticism? I'm not saying Al is all-world with athleticism or defensively, but we need as much of that as we can get, especially off the bench, where Al has played alot.

I also don't think, one the games best shooters when I think of Miller. Like I said before he never takes any shots, while starting his whole career its been like that, 10-12 per game that's it. That why his %is so high. Plus Miller has won absolutely nothing in his career, while Harrington was on the GS team that beat Dallas in '07 and played on playoff teams in Indiana.

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2010, 11:56:10 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Unless Mike Miller is here as an addition to Ray Allen and Paul Pierce, I don't see the point.  We'd need a ton of luck to win it even then, but with just Mike Miller, Pierce, KG, and Rondo, we'd need a miracle.  That'd likely be a weaker team than last year unless Pierce and KG found their 2008 form and Rondo and Miller stepped up their games.  And then all that is contingent on health.

I hope we bring everyone back and add Mike and a vet big.  But it's all very, very much up in the air.