Author Topic: So now that Doc is returning , Mike Miller to the C's?  (Read 6109 times)

So now that Doc is returning , Mike Miller to the C's?
« on: June 30, 2010, 07:07:53 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I know that Doc loves him and would love to have him on the C's. He is only 30 years old and can play both SG and SF. You could easily split the mintues between PP/Ray/Miller 32MPG. They would all be fresh and rested for the playoffs. It seems like its a no brainer.

You use the Vet min to pick up a big man . Shaq/Big Z/ Kwame/ Dampier.

You also have sheeds contract you could trade for a big man.

Miller even gives you the ability to do a S+T with Ray. Ray foe David Lee would be great. So I want Mike Miller to be signed with the MLE even if Ray isn't coming back. He will give you a great shooting, tough nosed starting caliber sg for about 6 mil a year.

Re: So now that Doc is returning , Mike Miller to the C's?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 07:11:37 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
The MLE will be used for a Center. The veteran minimum isn't enough for any of the Centers you listed here.

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 07:18:34 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
The MLE will be used for a Center. The veteran minimum isn't enough for any of the Centers you listed here.

None of those guys are worth the full MLE at this point in their career, I would be shocked if any of them get that except maybe shaq. Haywood and Lee are the only big man I would give the full MLE

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 07:21:09 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159

None of those guys are worth the full MLE at this point in their career, I would be shocked if any of them get that except maybe shaq. Haywood and Lee are the only big man I would give the full MLE

Maybe not the full MLE, but certainly not the veteran minimum. I like Miller, but I don't think his position is a top need.

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 07:36:42 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

Maybe not the full MLE, but certainly not the veteran minimum. I like Miller, but I don't think his position is a top need.

I would love grabbing Miller if we could fill the low post with Sheed's contract.

If could grab Tyson Chandler from CHA in salary dump trade and MMiller with the MLE, we would be well on our way to having filled the holes on the roster.

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 08:10:51 PM »

Offline Tradetime

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 115
I want to see the rook, Avery Bradley, get as much run as humanly possible. if he is the lockdown defender as billed, then I want him on the court to harass the opposing team from setting up their offense properly. Coupled with Rondo, we might be able to have a backcourt that leads the league in steals for many years.

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 08:23:52 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
     Can someone explain to me how we can afford Tyson Chandler? I did'nt think we could have any chance at that.
     I'd also rather have Josh Howard than Mike Miller.

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 08:24:22 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I want to see the rook, Avery Bradley, get as much run as humanly possible. if he is the lockdown defender as billed, then I want him on the court to harass the opposing team from setting up their offense properly. Coupled with Rondo, we might be able to have a backcourt that leads the league in steals for many years.

Would you let Nate walk?  Maybe sign and trade him for another piece?

It would be intriguing to see Rondo, Bradley, and TA all out there at the same time wreaking havoc defensively.  

Re: So now that Doc is returning, Mike Miller to the C's?
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 08:25:29 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
A backup wing may not be the team's biggest need, but it's at least a close second, behind only rebounding. And not only is MMiller a good shooter who could spell Pierce and Ray, he's a good rebounder at his position (6 a game last season, I think?). Sure, let's see what Avery can do, but he's a 1/2, whereas MMiller's a 2/3. So get MMiller, and there's our shooter off the bench (which we desperately need), a decent rebounder (which we also need), then all that's left is one or two solid big men.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 08:27:20 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
    Can someone explain to me how we can afford Tyson Chandler? I did'nt think we could have any chance at that.
     I'd also rather have Josh Howard than Mike Miller.

I believe Chandler makes 12.7 mil and in the last year of his contract.    You could package Sheed, maybe re-sign Scal to a partially guaranteed contract, throw in a draft pick if need be and get Chandler.   I think that would work.  

Re: So now that Doc is returning, Mike Miller to the C's?
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 08:35:33 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
A backup wing may not be the team's biggest need, but it's at least a close second, behind only rebounding. And not only is MMiller a good shooter who could spell Pierce and Ray, he's a good rebounder at his position (6 a game last season, I think?). Sure, let's see what Avery can do, but he's a 1/2, whereas MMiller's a 2/3. So get MMiller, and there's our shooter off the bench (which we desperately need), a decent rebounder (which we also need), then all that's left is one or two solid big men.

I'll keep saying it.

We'll only go as far next season as our best players take us.  That means that Ray and Paul need to get through next season healthy and rested.  That means no more than 30 MPG, and a lot fewer on the second night of back-to-backs.   That means lots of rest down the stretch, and not playing through injuries.

That means we need a starting-caliber wing on the bench - someone who can play both spots, and still help us win ballgames.

Mikey Miller.  That's my boy.

The hole in the middle; send 'Sheed to San Antonio for McDyess, so they can get a reasonable distance under the cap since Jefferson now opted out (they don't have the MLE any more, and now have less cap space to sign players than if they had it).  Failing that (or in addition to that), push hard for Ben Wallace at the minimum. 

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 08:40:16 PM »

Offline rkls134

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
I am not a Mike Miller fan. He might be able to shoot the ball, but he refuses to take shots. He's as slow as anyone in the league and not athletic at all. A total below the rim player, regardless of the rebound numbers, witch aren't that great anyway, 6per game. Al Harrington averaged 5per game and is more athletic and a better all around scorer off the bench.

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 08:47:10 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I am not a Mike Miller fan. He might be able to shoot the ball, but he refuses to take shots. He's as slow as anyone in the league and not athletic at all. A total below the rim player, regardless of the rebound numbers, witch aren't that great anyway, 6per game. Al Harrington averaged 5per game and is more athletic and a better all around scorer off the bench.

Mike Miller was being asked to do too much in Washington (and in Minnesota).  Seems like he was having trouble figuring out if he needed to be a finisher or a facilitator.  Here, he'd have a pretty specific mandate; keep your hands up and ready to shoot it when Rondo gets it to you in your spot.

His rebounding numbers are about as good as you'll ever see from the SF/SG position.  Pierce was one of the best rebounding wings in his prime, and at his best was averaging about seven (while playing forty minutes).  LeBron's probably the best rebounding wing today, and he averages a bit more than 7/game in forty minutes; pretty much the same as Mike Miller's 6.2 in 33 minutes.

His defensive numbers aren't great, but they aren't horrid, either.  Slightly below-average defensively, but the Celtics system has historically made mediocre defenders like Ray Allen play a lot better on that side.

Is Mike Miller an All Star, or an MVP candidate?  No - but I think he's pretty clearly the best available wing player who's a realistic target for the MLE. 

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 08:48:35 PM »

Offline Tradetime

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 115

Would you let Nate walk?  Maybe sign and trade him for another piece?

It would be intriguing to see Rondo, Bradley, and TA all out there at the same time wreaking havoc defensively.  

I loved Nate during the playoffs, but we really don't need three guys at the point. Now that we have Avery, I'd rather see him spell Rondo when he comes out of the game, and also take some of Ray's minutes after he is re-signed.

Not sure what we could land with a S&T w/ Nate. Maybe a future second rounder.

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 09:29:38 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
Geez, would I be a fool if I HAD to pick one of these options: resign TA or sign Mike Miller, and I picked resign TA?