Poll

Regular season only.  Who wins more games?

Celtics
Lakers

Author Topic: Who Wins More Game This Season: Celtics or Lakers?  (Read 6126 times)

Re: Who Wins More Game This Season: Celtics or Lakers?
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2019, 12:59:46 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I hate the Lakers

We have a winner !  The phrase that pays !   TP  :D

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2019, 03:42:18 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Before Lebron got injured, they were a top 3 team in the West. Now they've added a top 5 player in AD and Lebron is going to be well rested. They're going to be a really, really good team. People rag on them about their depth, but this is the NBA, stars win games and they have two of them.

I think we'll be an interesting team, but probably won't win as much as people think. Kemba is pretty much the only sure thing on our roster, everyone else is a question mark. Will Smart's offensive improvement carry over? Will one (or both) of the Jays make the leap? Will Gordon bounce back? Can Kanter be defensively passable enough?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2019, 05:22:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
What is so bad about the Lakers bench and depth? If you assume starters of

Rajon Rondo
Danny Green
Lebron James
Anthony Davis
Dwight Howard

Then a rotation that includes

Avery Bradley
Kentavius Caldwell-Pope
Kyle Kuzma
Javale McGee
Jared Dudley

seems pretty darn good to me. The Celtics starters are great but that Laker starting squad could be excellent as long as healthy. And I would much rather the Celtics have the Lakers rotational bench than Boston's of

Smart
Theis
Ojeleye
Edwards
Williams

If LAL have depth problems the Celtics have a depth disaster.

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2019, 07:49:08 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Rajon Rondo
Danny Green
Lebron James
Anthony Davis
Dwight Howard

Avery Bradley
Kentavius Caldwell-Pope
Kyle Kuzma
Javale McGee
Jared Dudley

seems pretty darn good to me. The Celtics starters are great but that Laker starting squad could be excellent as long as healthy. And I would much rather the Celtics have the Lakers rotational bench than Boston's of

Smart
Theis
Ojeleye
Edwards
Williams

I think there are rightfully a few question marks over a few guys. Can AB continue his Memphis form, or is he cooked? Can Dudley provide much, if anything? Can Howard/AD/Rondo/Kuzma/LBJ/Green say healthy for the season?

I think their depth issues are overblown right up to the point where they have a significant injury (like they do now, with Kuzma). With one guy gone - in this case their go-to scorer off the bench - I think their depth looks a lot more shaky. Who comes in and provides offence off the bench with no Kuzma?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2019, 08:22:08 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
Imma  Celtics fan

against all odds..

i put MONEY on ...

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2019, 03:17:41 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002

Rajon Rondo
Danny Green
Lebron James
Anthony Davis
Dwight Howard

Avery Bradley
Kentavius Caldwell-Pope
Kyle Kuzma
Javale McGee
Jared Dudley

Smart
Theis
Ojeleye
Edwards
Williams

That bench rotation seems depressing. I rather have Lakers bench 10 out of 10.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2019, 03:19:17 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
Before Lebron got injured, they were a top 3 team in the West. Now they've added a top 5 player in AD and Lebron is going to be well rested. They're going to be a really, really good team. People rag on them about their depth, but this is the NBA, stars win games and they have two of them.

I think we'll be an interesting team, but probably won't win as much as people think. Kemba is pretty much the only sure thing on our roster, everyone else is a question mark. Will Smart's offensive improvement carry over? Will one (or both) of the Jays make the leap? Will Gordon bounce back? Can Kanter be defensively passable enough?

The excuses are over for Hayward. It's time for him to put up Utah-number stats or get shipped out ASAP. Wasted too much money on him and him underperforming this season would be terrible

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2019, 03:44:18 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 733
Celts @ 52-30, Lakers @ 48-34.

LA is a 2-man team that has to learn to play together. Celts have depth and greatly improved chemistry with a coach who can get back to coaching instead of managing an unhappy team. Celts need to solve their interior defensive issues, but it will also be such fun to have an offensive rebounder back on the team.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2019, 04:27:23 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Rajon Rondo
Danny Green
Lebron James
Anthony Davis
Dwight Howard

Avery Bradley
Kentavius Caldwell-Pope
Kyle Kuzma
Javale McGee
Jared Dudley

Smart
Theis
Ojeleye
Edwards
Williams

LAL is in the West, so quality depth is more important to them than to us (we can coast a bit in the East imo, we won't be fighting for a playoff spot against quality teams like GSW, SAS, SAC, POR and UTA). That Laker squad's depth is pretty weak compared to other squads in the West (especially with Kuzma out), and they're starting McGee instead of Howard iirc. I don't see LeBron and AD carrying this squad to anything higher than the 6th-8th seeds, and even then I'm inclined to favour other West teams to clinch those spots instead of LAL. I think LeBron's fit issues with a superstar big man are being underrated here, and the duo will have more growing pains than expected, which imo will cost them a playoff spot in the ultra competitive West.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2019, 06:17:10 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550

Rajon Rondo
Danny Green
Lebron James
Anthony Davis
Dwight Howard

Avery Bradley
Kentavius Caldwell-Pope
Kyle Kuzma
Javale McGee
Jared Dudley

Smart
Theis
Ojeleye
Edwards
Williams

LAL is in the West, so quality depth is more important to them than to us (we can coast a bit in the East imo, we won't be fighting for a playoff spot against quality teams like GSW, SAS, SAC, POR and UTA). That Laker squad's depth is pretty weak compared to other squads in the West (especially with Kuzma out), and they're starting McGee instead of Howard iirc. I don't see LeBron and AD carrying this squad to anything higher than the 6th-8th seeds, and even then I'm inclined to favour other West teams to clinch those spots instead of LAL. I think LeBron's fit issues with a superstar big man are being underrated here, and the duo will have more growing pains than expected, which imo will cost them a playoff spot in the ultra competitive West.
This seems like a bit of a crazy take.  the Lakers will absolutely make the playoffs.  They were on pace as the 4th seed last year before Lebron got hurt.  The West isn't any better this year than it was last year, yet the Lakers are a lot better and have a much better constructed roster.  The Lakers will make the playoffs easily.  They are one of the better teams in basketball.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2019, 07:08:19 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Rajon Rondo
Danny Green
Lebron James
Anthony Davis
Dwight Howard

Avery Bradley
Kentavius Caldwell-Pope
Kyle Kuzma
Javale McGee
Jared Dudley

Smart
Theis
Ojeleye
Edwards
Williams

This seems like a bit of a crazy take.  the Lakers will absolutely make the playoffs.  They were on pace as the 4th seed last year before Lebron got hurt.  The West isn't any better this year than it was last year, yet the Lakers are a lot better and have a much better constructed roster.  The Lakers will make the playoffs easily.  They are one of the better teams in basketball.
I always thought that their run to begin the season was a hot streak rather than something reflective of last year's team-they won quite some close games that could've gone either way. The Lakers got better, but I think the teams fighting for playoff spots aren't any worse than them, and are constructed much better in terms of fit. I think the Lakers will be on the outside looking in when it comes to the playoff race in the West as they are nowhere near one of the better teams in basketball.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2019, 10:31:08 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Rajon Rondo
Danny Green
Lebron James
Anthony Davis
Dwight Howard

Avery Bradley
Kentavius Caldwell-Pope
Kyle Kuzma
Javale McGee
Jared Dudley

Smart
Theis
Ojeleye
Edwards
Williams

I always thought that their run to begin the season was a hot streak rather than something reflective of last year's team-they won quite some close games that could've gone either way. The Lakers got better, but I think the teams fighting for playoff spots aren't any worse than them, and are constructed much better in terms of fit. I think the Lakers will be on the outside looking in when it comes to the playoff race in the West as they are nowhere near one of the better teams in basketball.
A hot streak that lasted 34 games and included a 26 point beat down of Golden State on Christmas Day.  That happened to be Lebron's last game for awhile and the Lakers were 20-14 at that point.  Obviously not elite, but still basically a 48/49 win pace, and they are a lot better this year then they were last year. 

Heck even after Lebron came back (this basically includes the trade deadline rumors that destroyed the team, Ball going down, Ingram going down, etc.), the Lakers still were still a decent team with him and were just downright awful without him.  In his 55 games overall, the Lakers were 28-27 (8-13 post injury).  They were 9-18 in the 27 games he didn't play (all post-injury). 

This year the Lakers have a much deeper and better constructed roster.  The Lakers are a pretty clear 50 win team even assuming Lebron plays somewhere in the upper 60's and Davis is in the lower 70's for games played.  They have far too much talent not to be that good. 

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2019, 10:55:40 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Rajon Rondo
Danny Green
Lebron James
Anthony Davis
Dwight Howard

Avery Bradley
Kentavius Caldwell-Pope
Kyle Kuzma
Javale McGee
Jared Dudley

Smart
Theis
Ojeleye
Edwards
Williams

A hot streak that lasted 34 games and included a 26 point beat down of Golden State on Christmas Day.  That happened to be Lebron's last game for awhile and the Lakers were 20-14 at that point.  Obviously not elite, but still basically a 48/49 win pace, and they are a lot better this year then they were last year. 

Heck even after Lebron came back (this basically includes the trade deadline rumors that destroyed the team, Ball going down, Ingram going down, etc.), the Lakers still were still a decent team with him and were just downright awful without him.  In his 55 games overall, the Lakers were 28-27 (8-13 post injury).  They were 9-18 in the 27 games he didn't play (all post-injury). 

This year the Lakers have a much deeper and better constructed roster.  The Lakers are a pretty clear 50 win team even assuming Lebron plays somewhere in the upper 60's and Davis is in the lower 70's for games played.  They have far too much talent not to be that good.
34 games isn't a huge sample size, we've seen teams fall off after playing really well for half a season or so, and the Celtics slapped the Warriors by 33 points and ended up as a mediocre playoff team that dropped 4 games in a row after a blowout win in a playoff series. And I don't think they got a lot better this year. Obviously they got a massive talent in Anthony Davis, but I think they got worse in terms of roster fit. Last year's team didn't have the best pieces around LeBron on offense (lol at Magic for thinking that LeBron would thrive off ball), but they at least had wings who could defend at a high level to let LeBron rest on defense. With the injury of Kuzma (who isn't even a good wing defender) the Lakers only really have Green and LeBron who can credibly guard SFs, and I don't believe that LeBron can play as a two way monster like he did in Cleveland (first stint) and Miami full time. I also don't buy that Davis and LeBron will wreck the league to the point where the Lakers can finish with a record better than the high 40s in wins, LeBron has never really managed to mesh well with a superstar big man, and Davis' skillset doesn't give me the confidence that he'll be an exception.

8-13 is far from enough to make the playoffs in the West, being "decent" doesn't really cut the mustard imo, and even if I mentally curve that record to compensate for their mid-season issues (as you have stated their locker room implosion after the trade deadline), they will have to be very significant for that record to be that of a playoff team in the West, which I don't buy.

We have seen teams with as much (arugably more) talent on paper implode due to fit issues, and I see this iteration of the Lakers in the same vein. Anyways we'll see how good they are once the season gets under way.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 11:04:45 AM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2019, 12:27:49 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Rajon Rondo
Danny Green
Lebron James
Anthony Davis
Dwight Howard

Avery Bradley
Kentavius Caldwell-Pope
Kyle Kuzma
Javale McGee
Jared Dudley

Smart
Theis
Ojeleye
Edwards
Williams

34 games isn't a huge sample size, we've seen teams fall off after playing really well for half a season or so, and the Celtics slapped the Warriors by 33 points and ended up as a mediocre playoff team that dropped 4 games in a row after a blowout win in a playoff series. And I don't think they got a lot better this year. Obviously they got a massive talent in Anthony Davis, but I think they got worse in terms of roster fit. Last year's team didn't have the best pieces around LeBron on offense (lol at Magic for thinking that LeBron would thrive off ball), but they at least had wings who could defend at a high level to let LeBron rest on defense. With the injury of Kuzma (who isn't even a good wing defender) the Lakers only really have Green and LeBron who can credibly guard SFs, and I don't believe that LeBron can play as a two way monster like he did in Cleveland (first stint) and Miami full time. I also don't buy that Davis and LeBron will wreck the league to the point where the Lakers can finish with a record better than the high 40s in wins, LeBron has never really managed to mesh well with a superstar big man, and Davis' skillset doesn't give me the confidence that he'll be an exception.

8-13 is far from enough to make the playoffs in the West, being "decent" doesn't really cut the mustard imo, and even if I mentally curve that record to compensate for their mid-season issues (as you have stated their locker room implosion after the trade deadline), they will have to be very significant for that record to be that of a playoff team in the West, which I don't buy.

We have seen teams with as much (arugably more) talent on paper implode due to fit issues, and I see this iteration of the Lakers in the same vein. Anyways we'll see how good they are once the season gets under way.
8-13 doesn't have Lonzo or Ingram (at least for a large portion of it).  It wasn't just the mid-season trade issues, it was the fact that their players started dropping like flies.  They were mostly healthy for the first 34 games.  They were 20-14.  Lebron gets hurt and they fell off a cliff.  By the time Lebron returned, Ball was already out for the year (last game 1/19) and Ingram and James only had 10 more games before Ingram went down for the year. 

What wing defenders did the Lakers have last year?  Lance Stephenson, Brandon Ingram?  The whole roster last year was a mess.  Both offensively and defensively.  Ball, McGee, and James (and they added Chandler) were the only credible defenders on the entire team.  That said, when they were healthy they were an upper 40's win team. 

They are a pretty deep team this year

PG - Rondo, Cook, Daniels
SG - Green, Bradley, KCP, Caruso
SF - James, Dudley
PF - Davis, Kuzma
C - Howard, McGee

That is a team that has quality shooting, quality defenders, quality rebounders, etc. at the positions needed. 

« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2019, 12:43:50 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Rajon Rondo
Danny Green
Lebron James
Anthony Davis
Dwight Howard

Avery Bradley
Kentavius Caldwell-Pope
Kyle Kuzma
Javale McGee
Jared Dudley

Smart
Theis
Ojeleye
Edwards
Williams

8-13 doesn't have Lonzo or Ingram (at least for a large portion of it).  It wasn't just the mid-season trade issues, it was the fact that their players started dropping like flies.  They were mostly healthy for the first 34 games.  They were 20-14.  Lebron gets hurt and they fell off a cliff.  By the time Lebron returned, Ball was already out for the year (last game 1/19) and Ingram and James only had 10 more games before Ingram went down for the year. 

What wing defenders did the Lakers have last year?  Lance Stephenson, Brandon Ingram?  The whole roster last year was a mess.  Both offensively and defensively.  Ball, McGee, and James (and they added Chandler) were the only credible defenders on the entire team.  That said, when they were healthy they were an upper 40's win team. 

They are a pretty deep team this year

PG - Rondo, Cook, Daniels
SG - Green, Bradley, KCP, Caruso
SF - James, Dudley
PF - Davis, Kuzma
C - Howard, McGee

That is a team that has quality shooting, quality defenders, quality rebounders, etc. at the positions needed.
Ingram was a very good defensive wing last season, he took off quite some pressure on LeBron when it came to guarding great wing players. The whole roster last year was very solid defensively, which was a decent fit for LeBron (only decent because they quite frankly sucked on offense) to just quarterback the offense and do what he does best. This team is decent, but I don't think it has everything you say it has. Their SF defense isn't great-Dudley is really more of a PF at this point and Green isn't great at guarding the bigger wings in the league ala Kawhi/PG. I will say that the shooting and rebounding look good though, but I don't think it's enough to cut it in the West.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA