Author Topic: Trading J Sullinger now would be a big mistake  (Read 7087 times)

Re: Trading J Sullinger now would be a big mistake
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2012, 06:38:52 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Sullinger is almost the perfect type of player to trade, although it might be a little early to get full value for him.

Sullinger's ceiling is no more than solid, role playing starter.  If he can help bring you near all-star level talent (as a piece of a larger deal), you jump on the opportunity.

I'd even give up Bradley (reluctantly) too, for an potential all-star level big.  I'll never understand why people don't get that you have to give up something to get something.

Yea, I can't stop laughing at the posts saying that the Kings should be happy to trade us Cousins for Bass, Lee and Melo. Why the heck would they want those players for an all-star big man? Bass and Lee are career bench players who the kings would really have no use for.
This is exactly correct.

I'd be happy to trade Bradley and Sullinger, along with pieces, for Cousins and pieces.

It is a deal that simply cannot be turned down if Danny has any designs on this season - and the future. Bradley and Sullinger aren't going to anchor this franchise in three years, posters on this blog aside.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2012, 07:24:27 PM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
Sullinger is almost the perfect type of player to trade, although it might be a little early to get full value for him.

Sullinger's ceiling is no more than solid, role playing starter.  If he can help bring you near all-star level talent (as a piece of a larger deal), you jump on the opportunity.

I'd even give up Bradley (reluctantly) too, for an potential all-star level big.  I'll never understand why people don't get that you have to give up something to get something.

Yea, I can't stop laughing at the posts saying that the Kings should be happy to trade us Cousins for Bass, Lee and Melo. Why the heck would they want those players for an all-star big man? Bass and Lee are career bench players who the kings would really have no use for.
This is exactly correct.

I'd be happy to trade Bradley and Sullinger, along with pieces, for Cousins and pieces.

It is a deal that simply cannot be turned down if Danny has any designs on this season - and the future. Bradley and Sullinger aren't going to anchor this franchise in three years, posters on this blog aside.

I don't understand why people fall in love with players who have obvious flaws in their game. Trade players when their value is high, Sully's is high, Avery's will be high...but neither of these guys are going to deliver a championship this year. I seriously doubt either one will be more then a role player/fringe starter in their NBA careers. If you have a chance to trade these guys for a potential all-star in DMC you DO IT!

I don't care about the whole "knucklehead" tag, winning changes people. Look at Rasheed, JR Smith this year, Andray Blatche, Zach Randolph...ect All of those guys were deemed as "trouble makers". Now they're on winning teams and all of that chatter has stopped. Demarcus wasn't causing problems in UK, he loved Calipari, and got drafted in a frankly awful, leaderless situation. You put him on this team and he will become a All-Star within 2 years. He also is our only shot at a championship this year, not to mention a team with Rondo and Cousins is a great start for our future. Not to mention, he has to realize that if he doesn't make it work in Boston, his professional basketball career in the NBA might be cut short.

If we have to give up AB, and Sully for this kid, we do it. Because Danny chose to run it back for another shot at a chip. So if Cousin's is available, we are going to make a serious run at him and NO ONE is untouchable outside of PP, Rondo, and KG. No one.

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2012, 07:42:30 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I agree it depends who we are getting back not like we are trading Joe Larry Bird here.

Sample of rookie stats:

Bird 21 PPG 10 RPG
Pierce 16.5 PPG  6 RPG
Moses Malone 18 PPG 10 RPG
Sullinger 5 PPG 5 RPG
Mel Turpin 10 PPG   5 RPG
C. Booser 10 PPG 7.5 RPG
Charles Oakley 10 PPG  8.6 RPG
Glen Davis  4 PPG  3 RPG

Starting to see a pattern? Sullinger isn't untouchable, it's not like he is an all time great in the making.  Right now, I would not value him more than a good journeyman down the road.   All these guys killed it in college too.  College doesn't matter now folks, what he did at OSU is history.  Can he contribute and be a valuable team mate?   Yes!   Is he untradeable and heading to the Hall of Game?   My money is on no.

Got to love our fans though, they over value our guys like no one else.

Are these comparisons really fair?  Some of these players were starters and some were bench players as rookies.  You can't compare starter numbers to bench numbers.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2012, 08:37:33 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Like Danny Ainge, I'm a talent Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline., but if I have a decision to get Gortat or Cousins right now, I take Gortat.  First, he's ready to go ASAP, and considering the PP/KG window, that's a big plus.  Second, he's the safer bet. 

Even if Cousins plays good soldier the rest of the year in Boston and plays solid ball, do you want to be the team that gives him a four year max  or near max deal?

If Boston can get Gortat with Melo and Sully as the young players heading to Phoenix, and can't get Cousins without throwing in AB too, it's a no brainer to me.  I go with the safe choice in Gortat.