Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
The Shawshank Redemption
Jaws
Goodfellas
Apocalypse Now
Singin' in the Rain`
Pulp Fiction
Fight Club

Author Topic: 500 Greatest Movies of All Time  (Read 15601 times)

Re: 500 Greatest Movies of All Time
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 11:48:16 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Also, the Last Crusade is a better movie than Raiders. And I will hijack this thread if anyone argues otherwise. Fair warning.

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 01:36:16 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Where's Bones?
Or Blankman?
Or White Chicks and/or Little Man?
Ridiculous.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 02:37:19 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Meh... I find these lists quite useless. However, I'm joining the crowd here: I love the movie brat generation - Spielberg, Coppola, Lucas et al., but this list is utterly annoying. A list that doesn't include a single Ford, Welles, Kurosawa, Bergman and Hitchcock in the top-10 does not deserve further reading. And this is not intellectualism or elitism, I find Godard pathetic and Von Trier is coming close.

If I was doing a top of the lists which list the best movies ever, this one would be a lock to be disregarded.

All those 10 are good movies. Fight Club, Shawshank and Singin' in the Rain` are not great though. I voted for Apocalypse Now but could have picked The Godfather. Those 2 would probably make my top 10, at least in some days.

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 02:57:37 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Star Wars has one vote. Dark_Lord must be lurking...

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 03:00:08 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
By the way, where was The Lost Boys on that list? I may have missed them, but that film is a cult classic and way better than a lot of what's on that list.

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2008, 03:02:27 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

It was actually me. Empire is Number 5 in my all time favorite movies and is the only one of this top 10 in mine. Also, Harrison Ford has never topped his performance in Empire.

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2008, 03:05:57 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker

It was actually me. Empire is Number 5 in my all time favorite movies and is the only one of this top 10 in mine. Also, Harrison Ford has never topped his performance in Empire.

Curious to hear your 1-4, no Godfather in your top 10? No Shawshank? No Goodfellas? :o

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2008, 03:57:31 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

Curious to hear your 1-4, no Godfather in your top 10? No Shawshank? No Goodfellas? :o

It's a list of my favorite top ten movies, not the top ten greatest. The top 5 is pretty fluid, depends on my mood and which ones I've seen recently.

1. Chasing Amy
2. The Lord of the Rings : Two Towers
3: Shakespeare in Love
4: Searching for Bobby Fischer
5: Empire Strikes Back
6: The Usual Suspects
7: Henry V (Kenneth Brannaugh's rendition)
8: American History X
9: Much Ado About Nothing ( Again, Brannaugh's version)
10: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

I'm a sucker for a good script.

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2008, 03:58:25 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Any list MUST include:

Animal House
The Sting
Midnight Run

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2008, 04:08:00 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker

It's a list of my favorite top ten movies, not the top ten greatest. The top 5 is pretty fluid, depends on my mood and which ones I've seen recently.

1. Chasing Amy
2. The Lord of the Rings : Two Towers
3: Shakespeare in Love
4: Searching for Bobby Fischer
5: Empire Strikes Back
6: The Usual Suspects
7: Henry V (Kenneth Brannaugh's rendition)
8: American History X
9: Much Ado About Nothing ( Again, Brannaugh's version)
10: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

I'm a sucker for a good script.

Those are all in my top ten, although with regards to the two towers I classify the whole trilogy as one (#2 on my list, behind the Godfather I & II - also classified as one).

Been meaning to see Chasing Amy.

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2008, 06:18:36 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Any list that doesn't have a single Bertolucci, Bergman or Almodovar film in the top 100 isn't worth the pixels it's written on.  Bertolucci's "The Conformist" and Bergman's "The Seventh Seal" are certainly in my top ten, and Almodovar's "La Mala Education" is certainly in my top 100.

Have you really seen "The Seventh Seal" and liked it? I mean, a photographic film with people slapping themselves and a chess-playing devil...meh

Iīm not talking about filmmaking skill or technology breakthrough. Would you really enjoy to watch it? Because I did not...
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2008, 02:59:11 AM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
This is kind of Clinton-esque but they need to define "greatest" for a list like this. 

Does it mean best cinematically crafted?  Most influential?  Most popular?

Because it doesn't seem to fit any of those criteria.  I think that is the problem, it's just 500 good movies in a rough order.

You would need to get a panel of cinema critics (not actors, directors, fans and dear god not executives) to decide something like this, and they would need to be established, intelligent critics.  Probably not the ones you'd ever see quoted in a trailer, for example.

My #1 of all time would have to be The Usual Suspects.  The Godfather films bore me, they are paced too slowly.  I consider myself a real cinema snob and I have never understood the near universal acceptance of the Godfather II as the "greatest" movie of all time.

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2008, 04:29:48 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Any list that doesn't have a single Bertolucci, Bergman or Almodovar film in the top 100 isn't worth the pixels it's written on.  Bertolucci's "The Conformist" and Bergman's "The Seventh Seal" are certainly in my top ten, and Almodovar's "La Mala Education" is certainly in my top 100.

Have you really seen "The Seventh Seal" and liked it? I mean, a photographic film with people slapping themselves and a chess-playing devil...meh

Iīm not talking about filmmaking skill or technology breakthrough. Would you really enjoy to watch it? Because I did not...

"The Seventh Seal" is a masterpiece. I love that film every time I see it. Very appropriate for the current times, as well. Although my favorite Bergman is "Wild Strawberries", if there's a great film about the search for meaning in a age of moral uncertainty it's "The Seventh Seal". And Max Von Sydow is brilliant, as always.

You should have questioned his other choices. The Conformist (a great book) is, like most Bertolucci films, boring and presumptuous as hell. Almodovar has directed some great films - Habla con ella, Mujeres al borde de un ataque de nervios, for example -, and some terrible ones. "Mala Educacion" falls in the later category, I'm afraid.

My #1 of all time would have to be The Usual Suspects.  The Godfather films bore me, they are paced too slowly.  I consider myself a real cinema snob and I have never understood the near universal acceptance of the Godfather II as the "greatest" movie of all time.

Hmm.. I've never noticed that universal acceptance.

Here's my top-10 (restricted to a single movie per director to make it fair):

1. The Searchers
2. Citizen Kane
3. The Leopard
4. Raging Bull
5. Yojimbo
6. Wild Strawberries
7. Sunrise
8. 2001: Space Odyssey
9. It's a Wonderful Life
10.Vertigo

Films like "La Strada", "On the Waterfront", "Unforgiven", "E.T.",  or "The Bicycle Thief" can easily make the list the next time I re-do it. Not to talk about "Stagecoach" or "The Man who Shot Liberty Valance", who got the boot because of the restriction.

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2008, 06:17:05 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
My top 10 would have to include a film directed by Christopher Nolan:

The Dark Knight (2008)
The Prestige (2006)
Batman Begins (2005)
Insomnia (2002)
Memento (2000)

Great director. Probably a toss up between Memento and The Dark Knight, maybe even The Prestige to go into my top 10.

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2008, 06:27:43 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
"The Seventh Seal" is a masterpiece. I love that film every time I see it. Very appropriate for the current times, as well. Although my favorite Bergman is "Wild Strawberries", if there's a great film about the search for meaning in a age of moral uncertainty it's "The Seventh Seal". And Max Von Sydow is brilliant, as always.

Well, I guess thatīs a question of taste. I couldnīt sit through it, and fell asleep halfway through.
Maybe Iīm too young, and the paradox` presented in "The Seventh Seal" are simply not a part of my life, yet.  ;)

At least, we can agree that Max von Sydow is a great actor.

I know what you mean, I`ve experienced this nearly universal acceptance as well. I liked the first one, although I wouldnīt put it in my top 10...or top 50, for that matter. And itīs definitly because of the pace, as you said. But I found the second one to be incredibly boring. Just because a movie has DeNiro and Pacino in it doesnīt make it great.

The Usual Suspects is another movie I did not like. The Twist in the end was forseeable, imo, the story didnīt catch me, neither did the overall mood of the movie. Itīs funny that you mentioned this movie, because Godfather II and "The Usual Suspects" go head-to-head for first place of my personal "overrated"-list.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.