Author Topic: DeMarcus Cousins?  (Read 5336 times)

Re: DeMarcus Cousins?
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2020, 11:59:52 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
He's still probably not a guy I want in my locker room.

Which sucks because if he had made some kind of turn where he could be trusted, he had best player in the league level talent.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2020, 12:41:18 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
or Andrew Bogut maybe
Yup

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2020, 01:20:45 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132

Which sucks because if he had made some kind of turn where he could be trusted, he had best player in the league level talent.

Don't you think this is what most teams said about Dwight Howard as well? Cousins is much more talented offensively, and I think can be as impactful defensively if bought in. We're not bringing anyone in to change our team, more so to fill a specific role.

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2020, 03:05:59 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Don't you think this is what most teams said about Dwight Howard as well? Cousins is much more talented offensively, and I think can be as impactful defensively if bought in. We're not bringing anyone in to change our team, more so to fill a specific role.

It's definitely what teams said about Dwight. It's even what I said about Dwight.

But I think Cousins at his worst was more of a problem than Dwight ever was. And Cousins is still just 30. He's not 34 year old Dwight looking for his last shot.

If Cousins has seen the light and wants to work and can stay focused, then yeah, bring him in. His talent was crazy. But I remain skeptical that I want that guy around.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2020, 03:14:10 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Cousins is basically a watered-down version of Shaq 2011. You could bring him in to help dominate but his legs will give up sooner or later into the season.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2020, 03:18:04 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

It's definitely what teams said about Dwight. It's even what I said about Dwight.

But I think Cousins at his worst was more of a problem than Dwight ever was. And Cousins is still just 30. He's not 34 year old Dwight looking for his last shot.

If Cousins has seen the light and wants to work and can stay focused, then yeah, bring him in. His talent was crazy. But I remain skeptical that I want that guy around.

There's also the matter of Dwight at 34 years old most likely being more mobile and athletic than Boogie is at 30 years old. I suspect the injuries have taken too much from Boogie and he'll just get played off the court.

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2020, 04:07:40 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Only one team had Lebron to make Howard want to stay in line.  Also, nobody would look to Cousins to fill a defensive role.  I pretty much agree with Phosita's injury prone Kanter description.

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2020, 03:38:01 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Cousins is basically a watered-down version of Shaq 2011. You could bring him in to help dominate but his legs will give up sooner or later into the season.
I loved having Shaq around in 2011 to be honest. Him and Nate Robinson were so fun on that team
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2020, 07:15:29 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I loved having Shaq around in 2011 to be honest. Him and Nate Robinson were so fun on that team

Yep.  There we no major red flags that he’d break down.  If he had stayed healthy, we win a title.  Instead, he breaks down, JO breaks down and we trade Perk.

Shaq was a ton of fun to watch. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2020, 08:09:31 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Yep.  There we no major red flags that he’d break down.  If he had stayed healthy, we win a title.  Instead, he breaks down, JO breaks down and we trade Perk.

Good for 10 points, 5 rebounds and a boatload of physicality per game in limited minutes. I bet Boogie could be similar.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2020, 11:41:24 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Good for 10 points, 5 rebounds and a boatload of physicality per game in limited minutes. I bet Boogie could be similar.

Agreed.  And I don’t think that people realize that the majority of the time, he’s got that goofy, likable Shaq-like persona.  He does have an explosive temper, but that seems mostly related to losing.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2020, 12:18:32 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I don't think Shaq ever tore his achilles, and then followed that up with a torn quad while coming back from the torn achilles.

I will believe Cousins can be a reliable contributor when I see him do it over the course of a full season and in the playoffs.  I'd rather some other team roll the dice.  The Celts have enough question marks in the back half of the roster.

I would be very surprised if Cousins is much better than Kanter defensively, even if he is able to come back and be a contributor. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2020, 01:11:35 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I don't think Shaq ever tore his achilles, and then followed that up with a torn quad while coming back from the torn achilles.

I will believe Cousins can be a reliable contributor when I see him do it over the course of a full season and in the playoffs.  I'd rather some other team roll the dice.  The Celts have enough question marks in the back half of the roster.

I would be very surprised if Cousins is much better than Kanter defensively, even if he is able to come back and be a contributor.

DMC just has much better defensive instincts than Kanter.  I can’t speak to the durability, but if he’s 85% as mobile as he was before, he can easily play a Brook Lopez role in defense.

And offensively, he’s so much better as a passer and floor stretcher.

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2020, 01:15:25 PM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
Did he contribute at all last year?

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2020, 01:33:36 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Agreed.  And I don’t think that people realize that the majority of the time, he’s got that goofy, likable Shaq-like persona.  He does have an explosive temper, but that seems mostly related to losing.
That seems to be true when he's on the bench in street clothes.  On the court it's a different matter.  I've never seen an NBA player appear so miserable on the court.  He looks like he'd rather be doing anything other than playing basketball and plenty of times it's in games that his team is leading.