Author Topic: Bobby Portis: "We all knew that (Durant and Kyrie would go to Brooklyn)."  (Read 6011 times)

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

https://theathletic.com/1065467/2019/07/07/why-bobby-portis-knew-not-to-wait-on-durant-and-kyrie-and-took-the-chance-to-sign-with-the-knicks/

Bobby Portis wasn't waiting to see where KD & Kyrie were going. He'd know it'd be Brooklyn since Feb. Instead, he was in LA meeting w/ the Knicks as free agency opened.

https://twitter.com/MikeVorkunov/status/1147919131494080512

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
If they all knew that means that Danny knew as well..
Why didn’t he trade Irving at the deadline?
Was he thinking we had a shot... that’s delusional

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
you make up a hypothetical scenario, then you hold ainge responsible for it. please provide the links or evidence what you posit was the really case. Or, that portis is not simply making this up. Or, how ainge et al would know when the media didn't.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Its kind of a problem if a Celtics player knew but didn't tell Ainge

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I'm not too distraught. We replaced Kyrie with a more engaged, but an equally talented replacement. The same problem with Horford would have occurred anyway (not wanting to pay him as much as Philly).

I suppose if we were able to get expirings and a pick or two, then that would have been better than nothing, but Danny may have been clinging to the hope that a deep playoff run and a trade for AD would change everybody's minds. Instead, Kyrie put up one of the biggest clunkers of all-time. It may have been worth a shot - attempting to assemble the best team in the NBA.

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Maybe because the other GM's knew too?

My only gripe with Ainge was not seeing what Kyrie was the year before.

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Think DA always thought he could pull a rabbit out of his hat and figure out how to talk Davis into coming and the Kyrie thing would work itself out .   I guess Davis learned that Irving was bolting for sure and made it clear he would never stay . 

The house just fell in on Danny s plan.   

Durant forever being unhappy ,  unhappiness at GS is IMO started the avalanche of movement .  Hayward sucked , Davis was balking at being a celtic , the kids were whining ,  it was more than Kyrie could take .

He maybe more happy in NY  , but i believe in the long run he ll be worse off .  Durrant is a skinny mess ready to,fly apart. 

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Think DA always thought he could pull a rabbit out of his hat and figure out how to talk Davis into coming and the Kyrie thing would work itself out .   I guess Davis learned that Irving was bolting for sure and made it clear he would never stay . 

Durant forever being unhappy ,  unhappiness at GS is IMO started the avalanche of movement .  Hayward sucked , Davis was balking at being a celtic , the kids were whining ,  it was more than Kyrie could take .

He maybe more happy in NY  , but i believe in the long run he ll be worse off .  Durrant is a skinny mess ready to,fly apart.
what's funny is, if Durant came to Boston during free agency 2016, kyrie probably forces his way to Boston

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
WHEN a PLAYER commits to a team in October, then refuses to restate his commitment in February some of us suspected he was gone, some here decided not to  take a cue from his behavior and came up with all kinds of excuses to explain his failure to just recommit. Now that it is dripping out that he was gone in February those of us that were on to him feel vindicated and those that defended him cannot even admit they were wrong.

If he was gone, then his tanking the playoffs has some support. He must have been distraught about that game one win against the Bucks. He made sure Celtics did not smell another win. With that his exit to Brooklyn was secure, and not subject to the type of pressure Kawhi got to stay in Toronto.

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

I don’t care about Durant or Kyrie ... let them deal with the media in New York.
They never say anything that is definite or makes sense .. whenever they commit to something then walk it back.

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
you make up a hypothetical scenario, then you hold ainge responsible for it. please provide the links or evidence what you posit was the really case. Or, that portis is not simply making this up. Or, how ainge et al would know when the media didn't.
I am not the original poster .. I just commented based on the statement from Portis ...judging by how danny handles business he should have traded Irving ..... the only reason I can think of him not trading Kyrie is if he thought Kyrie can take us to the finals like Leonard did with Toronto

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236

Things change. He might have thought that if they worked some things out and made a deep playoff run it could have changed things.

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Whatever.

Just ready to move on at this point.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
WHEN a PLAYER commits to a team in October, then refuses to restate his commitment in February some of us suspected he was gone, some here decided not to  take a cue from his behavior and came up with all kinds of excuses to explain his failure to just recommit. Now that it is dripping out that he was gone in February those of us that were on to him feel vindicated and those that defended him cannot even admit they were wrong.

If he was gone, then his tanking the playoffs has some support. He must have been distraught about that game one win against the Bucks. He made sure Celtics did not smell another win. With that his exit to Brooklyn was secure, and not subject to the type of pressure Kawhi got to stay in Toronto.
Jeez man. I have been on these forums at least 15 years and this is up there among the most dramatic takes I have seen. We got a good replacement for Irving that fits better. We also lost cause the whole team played like crap the majority of the year. Tatum and brown showed little to no improvement, Hayward was not himself and even our favorite al showed signs of aging. Don’t blame it all on one dude (especially when we got a replacement)

Offline chiken

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 15
Danny could not Trade Irving...  That's not how you GM in today's NBA if you are serious about wanting other great players to come play...

He was forced to sit and stew in it but I am sure he knew.... You just can't do anything.. Fanbase would have gone crazy and Agents and other teams would use that against us in the Recruiting game...  (We already have enough problems as it is)

Sometimes the best thing to do is to let the Train wreck and pick up the pieces... Which Danny has masterfully done.