Author Topic: Bobby Portis: "We all knew that (Durant and Kyrie would go to Brooklyn)."  (Read 5971 times)

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Danny could not Trade Irving...  That's not how you GM in today's NBA if you are serious about wanting other great players to come play...

He was forced to sit and stew in it but I am sure he knew.... You just can't do anything.. Fanbase would have gone crazy and Agents and other teams would use that against us in the Recruiting game...  (We already have enough problems as it is)

Sometimes the best thing to do is to let the Train wreck and pick up the pieces... Which Danny has masterfully done.

Yeah, who's trading for a player everyone knows is going to Brooklyn at the end of the year....

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Danny could not Trade Irving...  That's not how you GM in today's NBA if you are serious about wanting other great players to come play...

He was forced to sit and stew in it but I am sure he knew.... You just can't do anything.. Fanbase would have gone crazy and Agents and other teams would use that against us in the Recruiting game...  (We already have enough problems as it is)

Sometimes the best thing to do is to let the Train wreck and pick up the pieces... Which Danny has masterfully done.

Yeah, who's trading for a player everyone knows is going to Brooklyn at the end of the year....

Exactly. Nobody would have given much for him then.

Now, more then ever I would say Kyrie literally gave up in that Bucks series once things got dicey. He was probably getting texts from KD saying  don't injure yourself for that team. He literally turned the lights out as his mind was already in his future home.

Cant wait to see first time he plays in Boston. Also was thinking, how bad would that Nets team be if he went down for any significant time next year? Not like he is an iron man. In the regular season, he does play with reckless abandonment which I respect but that is not a big body that can keep taking that. Pretty sure there new center is not going to carry them far either.

Next year will be interesting.

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

You guys don't remember this?

The Los Angeles Clippers reportedly reached out to the Boston Celtics about star point guard Kyrie Irving ahead of the 2019 NBA trade deadline, but they received a "quick no."

Shams Charania of Stadium and The Athletic reported details Friday about the brief interaction between Los Angeles and Boston, which came before the Clippers made a large-scale trade in February with the Philadelphia 76ers highlighted by Tobias Harris heading to Philly and L.A. getting four future draft picks, including two first-rounders.

So, yeah, I do think that Ainge misread the Kyrie situations, as well as Rozier (since he was clearly hurting the team), and could've received assets for both. If we had been able to get SGA and Galo, even without the picks they included for George, that we would be another huge piece to either keep keep and develop or package for a star.

As for the Clippers, my thinking is that they had to know Leonard would sign there if they had a second star in place. So perhaps they would try to get out in front of it by trading away SGA. Instead, they were held over a barrel by OKC and were forced to give up a boatload of picks. That Kyrie to LAC trade would've likely changed the entire landscape of the league. George probably stays in OKC. Durant might not sign with Brooklyn.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

The Los Angeles Clippers reportedly reached out to the Boston Celtics about star point guard Kyrie Irving ahead of the 2019 NBA trade deadline, but they received a "quick no."

Shams Charania of Stadium and The Athletic reported details Friday about the brief interaction between Los Angeles and Boston, which came before the Clippers made a large-scale trade in February with the Philadelphia 76ers highlighted by Tobias Harris heading to Philly and L.A. getting four future draft picks, including two first-rounders.

So, yeah, I do think that Ainge misread the Kyrie situations, as well as Rozier (since he was clearly hurting the team), and could've received assets for both. If we had been able to get SGA and Galo, even without the picks they included for George, that we would be another huge piece to either keep keep and develop or package for a star.

But SGA and Gallo would have meant no Kemba. I can see the allure in SGA, but it's not like Danny totally crapped the bed here. We now have a more sane All-NBA PG moving forward and essentially the same team we would have had anyway.

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

But SGA and Gallo would have meant no Kemba. I can see the allure in SGA, but it's not like Danny totally crapped the bed here. We now have a more sane All-NBA PG moving forward and essentially the same team we would have had anyway.

Not necessarily. Gallo has a very moveable contract. I mean just look at his numbers and efficiency on an expiring contract.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Its kind of a problem if a Celtics player knew but didn't tell Ainge

Yeah, this is one reason why I don't believe Portis actually knew.  Given it's Bobby 'look at me' Portis, I'm guessing he just had an inclination and now wants to brag.  The guy is a loser, no one should listen to him.

If Kyrie leaving was openly known and Ainge sat on his hands he's an idiot.  I don't believe Ainge is an idiot.  A gambler that sometimes loses, sure.  But an idiot, no way.

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
Guess the "talk to me on July 1" comments in February make more sense now...

so, in October Kyrie said he planned on re-signing with the celtics...then by February a mere 4 months later he was dead set on bolting for Brooklyn. You really can trust this guy ::)

Offline crimcartel

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
Everybody in Nba circles knew it.. thats why they danny didnt trade him.. they all knew he was Brooklyn bound.. so he wasn't getting anything in return because they knew he was going to NETS regardless... RENTAL

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Its kind of a problem if a Celtics player knew but didn't tell Ainge

Yeah, this is one reason why I don't believe Portis actually knew.  Given it's Bobby 'look at me' Portis, I'm guessing he just had an inclination and now wants to brag.  The guy is a loser, no one should listen to him.

If Kyrie leaving was openly known and Ainge sat on his hands he's an idiot.  I don't believe Ainge is an idiot.  A gambler that sometimes loses, sure.  But an idiot, no way.
Why do some people call him a gambler?
When has he taken a huge risk? All I know is if he’s not clearly winning a trade and he’s not negotiating from the position of power he doesn’t do a trade...
A gambler is Ujiri and even that was a calculated risk because he was trading a low level Star that can’t really shoot or deliver in the clutch

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Everybody in Nba circles knew it.. thats why they danny didnt trade him.. they all knew he was Brooklyn bound.. so he wasn't getting anything in return because they knew he was going to NETS regardless... RENTAL
Well he could have traded him to Brooklyn for a pick and expiring .

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Saying he would re-sign here in Boston back in October.
Making a commercial with his dad saying that he'll have his jersey hung up in the Boston rafters one day.

All fake in the end.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Making a commercial with his dad saying that he'll have his jersey hung up in the Boston rafters one day.

All fake in the end.
Can we pls stop lying and being so petty?

He NEVER said he would resign, he said he "plans to" "if we want him"

plans can change and clearly we don't want him so he keeps his words

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

All fake in the end.

Pretty sure 95%-100% of the fans at the TD Garden wanted him, but mixed feelings on Celtics Strong. But of course, follow what the TD Garden wants not some internet forum site lol.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
What we had last season is a situation where star players had, to varying degrees, made their future plans known. Davis was clearly jumping to LA. Kyrie and Durant were planning on one of the NY teams. Kawhi was eager to go home to one of the teams in LA.

At that point, the soon to be cuckolded team is faced with a decision. Lose them for nothing or hold out on a slim hope they will stay. Typically, smart organizations don't risk it unless they think they can win a title. The Raptors and Warriors correctly estimated that their teams were good enough to win it all and were willing to take the risk. The Celtics did not have this burden. It's clear now that from the start, the team they had constructed simply wasn't good enough.

I would wager that half of that was misguided optimism surrounding their own roster and the other half a misread on just how good the other Eastern teams had gotten. Milwaukee made a huge leap by changing their coach and adding Lopez. The Raptors added Kawhi and Siakim jumped a tier. The Sixers made huge trades midseason to add two all-stars.

Obviously, timing is everything and hindsight is 20/20. Whether or not they should have had more foresight doesn't matter because the end result is ultimately what matters.

Where I really have questions about their judgement is, Kyrie was already by all accounts doing everything he could to ruin team chemistry. When you combine that with the reasonable assumption he already planned to leave, don't you have to consider it a lost cause?

The rationale we kept hearing was that Davis might convince Kyrie to stay, but it was crystal clear his goal to go to LA was not changing. If you already knew before the trade deadline Klutch and Davis had no intention of being more than a rental then you should have already made the decision whether to deal for him or not this offseason ahead of time.

Sure, a few things happened they couldn't predict: Lakers won the fourth pick. Demps, who along with Gayle Benson hated the Lakers for sabotaging their season, was fired and the more impartial David Griffin replaced him. However, Danny either changed his mind about how much he would offer or miscalculated what the price would be. According to reports, Ainge was only willing to offer Tatum and not much else. Meaning, he was willing to part with one, maybe two top assets but not multiple ones.

Maybe Ainge got gunshy because he learned this season it takes incredible maturity for a team to play well when they know their star is a rental. The Raptors never let Kawhi's pending free agency deter them on the court or in the locker room. The Warriors, besides one Draymond blowup, more or less ably navigated the season knowing Durant was likely gone. The Celtics' chemistry, on the other hand, went from bad to worse when it became clear Kyrie was gone. They already hated him when they thought he might stay, so why would they listen when it's clear he's gone?

Ainge loves taking risks and it's clear he was tempted to trade for Davis regardless of the risk and whether or not Kyrie stayed. But he underestimated what it would cost and probably realized he wasn't going to get the real Davis anyway. He would have been trading for the Davis who already ruined the Pelicans' 2018/19 season: the one with one foot out the door.

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

All fake in the end.

Boy or Boy, are you parsing words. Bill Clinton would be proud of you.