Poll

Now that Kawhi was a one year rental. Did the Raptors make the right decision to trade for him?

Yes.
41 (97.6%)
No.
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: considering Kawhi was a one year rental. Did the Raptors make the right decision  (Read 2683 times)

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
So, considering Kawhi bolted after one year. Do you think the Raptors still made the right decision to trade for him?

I personally think that they did.....they werent winning anything as constructed with Derozan as we saw the embarrassing playoff exits each year so they traded for Kawhi leonard and ended up with a title. Sure it was only one year of success. But now they can enter their rebuild phase which they inevitably were going to have to do with Derozan anyway.

But, my answer is totally contingent on the fact that they won the title. Had they not won the title I might have felt differently. And is why you see Danny have such trepidation about going after AD or guys who could be one year rentals. Because if they leave...you are stuck.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
They won a title so the answer is "yes" and gained a budding star in developing Siakam.

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Absolutely.

The rental didn't just bring a title... It brought the first title, the first final appearance. That is huge.

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Winning the championship is what it's all about.

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Yes

Look how cheap the rental was in terms of mortgaging the future, especially compared to the PG13 and AD 2019 hauls, or even mid-tier star rentals lately

DeRozan and.... Poeltl and a very late 1st (?), that’s it

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
It was a slam dunk trade if you ask me. Sure it only lasted a season but they brought a championship to Toronto. That was worth everything

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Absolutely...obviously! Who in Toronto even cares what happens again for the next decade? That was their 1st title ever. I am sure every NBA team and there fans are jealous of what just happened.

But, a lot of things had to go the right way. They easily could have lost to the Sixers in the ECSF and the Warriors got the injury bug at exactly the wrong. No GM should ever assume they will end up with the same good fortune. Ujiri took a chance and it worked out splendidly for the franchise. You tip your cap to them and move on.

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Any trade (overpaid or not) that leads to winning a championship is always the right decision and great decision.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I think it was the right decision whether they won or not, but winning makes it obvious.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Toronto didn't give anything of much value in the trade for Leonard all for a one chance to get a championship with a slight chance of keeping him, it was a no-brainer for them.

My concern for the trade was more on Leonard's health than anything else.

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
It was the right decision, as long as you win the title. And they won a title. A great gamble.

Titles don't grow on trees. The Celtics haven't seen one in 11 years. Chances are the Raptors won't see one in a while now, either. But it doesn't matter.

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I don't know. They won a Championship, but if Thompson and KD werent injured would they have won? And do people think Irving and Leonard would have been on the same page if we were to had gone after him.

Plus they gave up an older player who can't shoot threes, and we would have had to given up Brown, who is going to be more cost controlled over the next few years, or can be part of a bigger package near the deadline to round out the team, where if we had Leonard, we'd be out a player, and probably money.

It's always easy to say "yeah I'd make that trade for a championship" when we know the out come. But that could have been a bad trade if Leonard doesn't hit that shot, and Thompson  and KD don't go down.

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Easily YES!!!  It is not just that they won the championship.  Its that they only had to give up DeRozan to get Kawhi.  DeRozan was taking them anywhere but playoff mediocrity. 

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
I don't know. They won a Championship, but if Thompson and KD werent injured would they have won? And do people think Irving and Leonard would have been on the same page if we were to had gone after him.

Plus they gave up an older player who can't shoot threes, and we would have had to given up Brown, who is going to be more cost controlled over the next few years, or can be part of a bigger package near the deadline to round out the team, where if we had Leonard, we'd be out a player, and probably money.

It's always easy to say "yeah I'd make that trade for a championship" when we know the out come. But that could have been a bad trade if Leonard doesn't hit that shot, and Thompson  and KD don't go down.
All they gave up was DeRozen so it was never going to be a bad trade. 

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

All they gave up was DeRozen so it was never going to be a bad trade. 

Exactly, and a top 20 protected pick and also grabbed Green to help on their run. It was worth the gamble if those where the stakes.

It wasn't a difficult choice as long as they had a degree of certainty on Leonard's health.