Author Topic: The newly assembled Lakers are highly overrated  (Read 4496 times)

Re: The newly assembled Lakers are highly overrated
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2019, 10:13:45 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Cousins is such a terrible signing.  He was a questionable fit with Davis when he was healthy and in his prime.  Now that he appears to no longer be the same player, and has clearly lost a lot of mobility, the Lakers will find out quickly they can't play him anything more than reserve minutes.

I haven't really looked hard enough at the rest of the roster to make an informed opinion otherwise, but it does seem like LAL is pinning all of their defensive responsibility on Davis alone.

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2019, 10:17:36 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Cousins is such a terrible signing.  He was a questionable fit with Davis when he was healthy and in his prime.  Now that he appears to no longer be the same player, and has clearly lost a lot of mobility, the Lakers will find out quickly they can't play him anything more than reserve minutes.

I haven't really looked hard enough at the rest of the roster to make an informed opinion otherwise, but it does seem like LAL is pinning all of their defensive responsibility on Davis alone.

Even if he’s a reserve, they invested barely anything.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2019, 10:18:13 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
And losing Anthony Davis in free-agency next summer is a strong possibility.

I give this a 0.000000001% chance of happening.

Davis gave up money to go to LA, and would have to give up even more money to leave (not to mention how many endorsement deals he'd lose).  Also, Davis is still young enough to outlast LeBron and potentially have a strong post-LeBron team built around him.

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2019, 10:20:45 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

Well, other than a precious roster spot they could have given to a player that isn't a net negative (on the court and off).

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2019, 10:28:25 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

Well, other than a precious roster spot they could have given to a player that isn't a net negative (on the court and off).

And time. They are wasting training camp and the early part of the season by trying this stupid two big man lineup instead of playing AD at his best position at center.

As well as failing to target the wings in free agency (with the roster spots and money used on Cousins / McGee) they need to make AD at center lineups work to their fullest potential.

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2019, 10:30:50 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
Don't think this team is built to win a ton of regular season games.

This is a get to the playoffs all healthy team.

I no longer fear LeBron lead teams. I'm not buying into he can still turn on beast mode.
Except he did in the previous playoffs taking a very mediocre Cavs team to the finals.  So unless his injury last year signaled more to come there's no reason to believe he can't do so again.  He's playing with AD who is the most talented teammate he's ever has and also a very good fit. 

Winning a lot of games in the regular season doesn't get you anything but a top seed and home court in the playoffs.  Other than the Clips and assuming good health, the Lakers should be the favorite against any West team regardless of seed. 

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2019, 10:31:40 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I've been a Celtic fan since '59 and I hate the Lakers as much as anyone. But to not acknowledge that the Lakers have assembled a legit contender is IMO misguided. Certainly, if Lebron or Davis suffer significant injuries, their chances are diminished. But you can say that about any contender who loses a #1 or #2 player. Many posters say that the Lakers don't have any outside shooting and that opponents will pack the paint. Well, Green, Lebron and others will have a ton of uncontested 3s. Also, I was hoping the Lakers wouldn't get Rondo. Rondo will have as many good passing options as he had with the '08 Celtics. Right now the Lakers are the #2 rated team behind LAC and that's how Vegas sees it.

I agree 100%. TP to you, zeitgeist.

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2019, 10:40:01 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
The Lakers are in in trouble. There was a good shot at AD next offseason when he was unrestricted. But because they're on an accelerated timetable due to LeBron's age, they overpaid to deal for him even when it wasn't clear there were any other serious bidders. They screw up the cap implications and have to dump even more guys to open up max space. However, it turns out AD was the only superstar LeBron was able to brainwash into joining the LeBron circus.

Due to his age, the most important season for LeBron is always the upcoming one now. Due to injuries in GS and Durant's injury, the field is wide open, but that may not be the case the season after next. They have no draft picks or assets left besides Kuzma and they won't be able to fit a max salary in the next few years. Basically, they are going to waste 1-2 more years of LeBron kind of playing at a high level and Davis' prime.

In two years LeBron will have a player option of 41 million which you have to think he will be motivated to decline and take a pay cut to help them sign more players. Until then, they are really hamstrung.

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2019, 10:43:47 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

And time. They are wasting training camp and the early part of the season by trying this stupid two big man lineup instead of playing AD at his best position at center.

As well as failing to target the wings in free agency (with the roster spots and money used on Cousins / McGee) they need to make AD at center lineups work to their fullest potential.
AD doesn't like playing center.  No reason to force him to do it a lot during the regular season.  Cousins and McGee can also burn minutes when AD isn't playing.  Its not like there were other good center options available. 

They got Danny Green.  What other wings are they supposed to target?  In case you didn't notice, they were hung up waiting on Kawhi's decision and most of the good 2nd and 3rd tier free agents already signed with some other team.  Now if I were them I would try to sign RHJ to give them a defensive wing option. 

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2019, 10:48:45 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
They will be GREAT at times next season.

That is the problem, though.

They will probably stumble to 50 or so wins but due to age and injuries fall in the 2nd round. You need sustained greatness to entertain championships.

Next season is more than likely their BEST shot at tieing BOS for championships but they will fall short.

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2019, 10:58:33 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

I no longer fear LeBron lead teams. I'm not buying into he can still turn on beast mode.
Except he did in the previous playoffs taking a very mediocre Cavs team to the finals.  So unless his injury last year signaled more to come there's no reason to believe he can't do so again.  He's playing with AD who is the most talented teammate he's ever has and also a very good fit. 

Winning a lot of games in the regular season doesn't get you anything but a top seed and home court in the playoffs.  Other than the Clips and assuming good health, the Lakers should be the favorite against any West team regardless of seed.

When you are 35 it is certainly not wise to assume what you did 2 years ago is easy to replicate

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2019, 11:01:40 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

They will probably stumble to 50 or so wins but due to age and injuries fall in the 2nd round. You need sustained greatness to entertain championships.

Next season is more than likely their BEST shot at tieing BOS for championships but they will fall short.
The Lakers just need to make the playoffs healthy and preferably get on the side of the bracket without the Clips.  Then they can show their greatness in the playoffs where it matters. 

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2019, 11:07:32 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

The Lakers just need to make the playoffs healthy and preferably get on the side of the bracket without the Clips.  Then they can show their greatness in the playoffs where it matters.

That's the thing, though...their best players (LeBron, AD, Rondo, Boogie) - have ALL missed chunks of time the last few years.

They are not getting younger.

They will need nothing short of a miracle to win it all and - as Charles Barkley repeatedly states - You CANNOT defeat Father Time.

Once they bow out in the playoffs next season the Hollywood glitter will wear off, trades will be made and they will be left to ponder how to rebound with NOH holding their future (a BUTTLOAD of draft picks from them).

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2019, 11:13:29 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
I see them as a 4 seed in the West.

Clippers to me are much deeper, and remember, that team took a healthy Warriors team to 6 games last April. And while they lost a few pieces (SGA, Gallinari), they added Kawhi + PG13. Plus they have the better coach. Think Houston and LAC will be the Top-2 teams in the West, and I think people are underestimating Utah. They are DEEP.

The Lakers still have a lot of wild cards in terms of not knowing how they'll thrive (Rondo, McGee, KCP, Cousins) and basically, if one of AD/Lebron goes down for some time I think that team becomes screwed.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2019, 11:22:13 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

When you are 35 it is certainly not wise to assume what you did 2 years ago is easy to replicate
You don't have to look back two years.  Even with the injury, Lebron put up 27.4pts, 8.5reb and 8.3ast on a team with a bunch of young players and limited vets.  Now he's going to be playing with another top 10 star who fits very well with him.