Author Topic: The newly assembled Lakers are highly overrated  (Read 4495 times)

The newly assembled Lakers are highly overrated
« on: July 07, 2019, 05:10:11 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
-Lebron needed durable help to carry him, he's too old to do the carrying. He got AD (who's made of glass) And no one else that is significant. Imagine what will happen if AD has to miss games for whatever injury.

- cousins does not fit well with AD. it doesn't matter how they played against us. What matters is how they played the entire season. Advanced stats showed the pelicans did better whenever cousins would sit out. Then he got injured and the pelicans went on win streaks. It was like night and day. After the  injury recovery, he's a turnstile on defense and lost explosiveness.

-rondo Looked Terrible last year for the lakers. poor defense. Poor shot selection.

-Cousins, rondo, and kuzma are all bad at switch defense and they have various other defensive flaws

I'm not convinced this is a good team. Reminds me of the 2003-2004 lakers, when Karl Malone and Gary Payton came to LA and they didn't win anything
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 05:30:17 AM by CelticsElite »

Re: The newly assembled Lakers are highly overrated
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 05:48:21 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
And losing Anthony Davis in free-agency next summer is a strong possibility.

Even Lebron can't beat Father Time.

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 06:15:16 AM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Who are you arguing with?

They’re not even favored by Vegas. Is anyone saying they have a guaranteed ring aside from some of the stupid Laker fans? No.
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 06:21:53 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Who are you arguing with?

They’re not even favored by Vegas. Is anyone saying they have a guaranteed ring aside from some of the stupid Laker fans? No.

The media are hyping them to be one of the top teams this season.

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 06:37:15 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
-Lebron needed durable help to carry him, he's too old to do the carrying. He got AD (who's made of glass) And no one else that is significant. Imagine what will happen if AD has to miss games for whatever injury.

- cousins does not fit well with AD. it doesn't matter how they played against us. What matters is how they played the entire season. Advanced stats showed the pelicans did better whenever cousins would sit out. Then he got injured and the pelicans went on win streaks. It was like night and day. After the  injury recovery, he's a turnstile on defense and lost explosiveness.

-rondo Looked Terrible last year for the lakers. poor defense. Poor shot selection.

-Cousins, rondo, and kuzma are all bad at switch defense and they have various other defensive flaws

I'm not convinced this is a good team. Reminds me of the 2003-2004 lakers, when Karl Malone and Gary Payton came to LA and they didn't win anything

they were in the finals
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 06:39:02 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
This current Lakers team reminds me of that Lakers team that featured Kobe, Nash, Howard, and Pau Gasol.

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2019, 07:03:24 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
LeBron can still carry a team on offense but he needs more help on defense. He needs young active legs next to him who will engage on defense.

One of the biggest issues with last year's Lakers was the lack of defense from the veteran role players. Guys like Rondo. Instead of recognizing this problem, the Lakers front office doubled down and brought back Rondo while adding Cousins. Kept JaVale McGee. As a result, defensively the Lakers are shambolic.

For that reason, it is impossible to see them as a high quality regular season team. They will be playing for a mid to low playoff spot depending on how many games AD & LeBron miss. They will be somewhat dangerous in the playoffs but their misfiring defense will cost them once they run up against a top team.

Not a real contender.

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2019, 07:24:02 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
Don't think this team is built to win a ton of regular season games.

This is a get to the playoffs all healthy team.

I no longer fear LeBron lead teams. I'm not buying into he can still turn on beast mode.
ok fine

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2019, 07:50:28 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
LeBron can still carry a team on offense but he needs more help on defense. He needs young active legs next to him who will engage on defense.

One of the biggest issues with last year's Lakers was the lack of defense from the veteran role players. Guys like Rondo. Instead of recognizing this problem, the Lakers front office doubled down and brought back Rondo while adding Cousins. Kept JaVale McGee. As a result, defensively the Lakers are shambolic.

For that reason, it is impossible to see them as a high quality regular season team. They will be playing for a mid to low playoff spot depending on how many games AD & LeBron miss. They will be somewhat dangerous in the playoffs but their misfiring defense will cost them once they run up against a top team.

Not a real contender.
TP.  LAL will be a terrible defensive team, and they won't be able to do 'load management' unless they are ok with a 7th or 8th seed in the West.

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2019, 08:01:02 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
They seem like a pretty easy 50 win team.  I mean before Lebron got hurt they were only slightly off that pace last year, and I think they are clearly better this year.  Health will always be an issue, but I think they have enough depth to get by.

PG - Rondo, Cook, Caruso
SG - Green, KCP, Daniels
SF - James, Dudley
PF - Davis, Kuzma
C - Cousins, McGee

Another veteran minimum or two type players and I think that team has plenty enough to win 50 games.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2019, 08:23:14 AM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
They seem like a pretty easy 50 win team.  I mean before Lebron got hurt they were only slightly off that pace last year, and I think they are clearly better this year.  Health will always be an issue, but I think they have enough depth to get by.

PG - Rondo, Cook, Caruso
SG - Green, KCP, Daniels
SF - James, Dudley
PF - Davis, Kuzma
C - Cousins, McGee

Another veteran minimum or two type players and I think that team has plenty enough to win 50 games.

IMO it's more like this:

PG - Cook, Rondo, Caruso
SG - Green, KCP, Daniels
SF - James, Dudley
PF - Davis, Kuzma
C - McGee, Cousins

Cousins and Rondo run the second unit, where as McGee and Cook can compliment James and McGee more

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2019, 08:34:02 AM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
I don't care about breaking down any advanced metrics or historical precedent - this thread title just feels right. It's like putting your feet into a comfortable pair of shoes. It's like that feeling when a film is so beautiful one is moved to tears....
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2019, 08:46:38 AM »

Offline zeitgeist49

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 19
I've been a Celtic fan since '59 and I hate the Lakers as much as anyone. But to not acknowledge that the Lakers have assembled a legit contender is IMO misguided. Certainly, if Lebron or Davis suffer significant injuries, their chances are diminished. But you can say that about any contender who loses a #1 or #2 player. Many posters say that the Lakers don't have any outside shooting and that opponents will pack the paint. Well, Green, Lebron and others will have a ton of uncontested 3s. Also, I was hoping the Lakers wouldn't get Rondo. Rondo will have as many good passing options as he had with the '08 Celtics. Right now the Lakers are the #2 rated team behind LAC and that's how Vegas sees it. 

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2019, 09:00:42 AM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
I've been a Celtic fan since '59 and I hate the Lakers as much as anyone. But to not acknowledge that the Lakers have assembled a legit contender is IMO misguided. Certainly, if Lebron or Davis suffer significant injuries, their chances are diminished. But you can say that about any contender who loses a #1 or #2 player. Many posters say that the Lakers don't have any outside shooting and that opponents will pack the paint. Well, Green, Lebron and others will have a ton of uncontested 3s. Also, I was hoping the Lakers wouldn't get Rondo. Rondo will have as many good passing options as he had with the '08 Celtics. Right now the Lakers are the #2 rated team behind LAC and that's how Vegas sees it.

Whoa! '59!!! Congrats on your Celtics Diamond Anniversary! TP!!

Yeah, you're probably right, but do ya need to say it out loud?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2019, 09:30:49 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm not convinced this is a good team.

They will be a good team.  It's unclear whether they will be a great team.  I'm betting not.

Reminds me of the 2003-2004 lakers, when Karl Malone and Gary Payton came to LA and they didn't win anything

Well, they won the Western Conference. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes