Author Topic: 2020 Red Sox Thread  (Read 82214 times)

Re: 2019 Red Sox Thread
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2019, 04:05:22 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Wow Sale getting pounded by the tanking Rays. Anyone miss Sandy's defense behind the plate yet?

Sale doesn't look right. If I'm Dombrowski, I am considering Dallas Keuchel and the heck with the luxury tax. Will be a long year if the ace isn't pitching well.

« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2019, 04:10:58 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 995
The opening ceremony was awesome. Two Boston teams hoisting their 2018 trophies together in the same stadium.

Too bad the game itself has been looking bleak. Might be the season for the Red Sox. World Series hangover, one-hit wonders?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2019, 06:32:51 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The opening ceremony was awesome. Two Boston teams hoisting their 2018 trophies together in the same stadium.

Too bad the game itself has been looking bleak. Might be the season for the Red Sox. World Series hangover, one-hit wonders?

I am not counting them out, but I also wouldn't be all that devastated. It is hard to win a World Series. Just going with basic math, you are only supposed to win one every 30 years.

I know, I know - the curse, but 4 in the last 15 years should make fans happy enough for a year or two. The only issue is we just re-signed several guys to big money contracts. It sure would be disappointing if they all started playing horrribly!

« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2019, 06:58:22 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
Am I the only one who doesn't think extending Sale was smart?  He's fragile and costing them games because they are babying him now.  Is that worth 5 years $150 million or whatever they are paying him?

« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2019, 07:08:05 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

I am not counting them out, but I also wouldn't be all that devastated. It is hard to win a World Series. Just going with basic math, you are only supposed to win one every 30 years.

I know, I know - the curse, but 4 in the last 15 years should make fans happy enough for a year or two. The only issue is we just re-signed several guys to big money contracts. It sure would be disappointing if they all started playing horrribly!

Come on, you know Boston fans better than that! If we'd won the last FIVE World Series, we'd be complaining just as much about this terrible (so far) season. ;D
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2019, 08:59:53 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Come on, you know Boston fans better than that! If we'd won the last FIVE World Series, we'd be complaining just as much about this terrible (so far) season. ;D

I prefer fans (like myself) that are passionate and want to see the team win every year as opposed to fans who are apathetic and don't care if they win or lose because they won last season.

Believe me, I know it's VERY hard to repeat (especially in baseball.) But as fans, we should always demand the best from our teams. Otherwise, what's the point of even having a season?

And I am sorry, but a 3-9 start is totally unacceptable.

« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2019, 09:01:28 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Am I the only one who doesn't think extending Sale was smart?  He's fragile and costing them games because they are babying him now.  Is that worth 5 years $150 million or whatever they are paying him?

Certainly seems that way.

I'll never understand the Red Sox decision making.

I also want to see Sale in Boston 'til he retires, but not if he's pitching like this!

« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2019, 09:05:08 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Lol...how did you come up with that?

« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2019, 09:21:04 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

30 teams, one per team. I realize it doesn't even come close to working out that way, but that just means some franchises will never win (especially with no salary cap). Imagine what a bummer it is to be a fan of a team that will never have a chance at a WS.

Oh, totally :laugh: I am already freaking out about post-Brady/Belichick. At least the Sox can just outspend everybody, the Pats actually have to spend within a very specific framework.

« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2019, 09:26:56 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

30 teams, one per team. I realize it doesn't even come close to working out that way, but that just means some franchises will never win (especially with no salary cap). Imagine what a bummer it is to be a fan of a team that will never have a chance at a WS.

Oh, totally :laugh: I am already freaking out about post-Brady/Belichick. At least the Sox can just outspend everybody, the Pats actually have to spend within a very specific framework.

If you look though at the competitive landscape of the MLB, most of the teams are more concerned with tanking than they are of competing.

Seriously...the new thinking seems to be rather than spend a boatload of money on free agents, I can simply lose 100 games a season and draft the next Mike Trout (pretty pathetic.)  That way, I have that player under team friendly control for many years.

So, that really only leaves a handful of teams left to compete (BoSox, Yanks, Dodgers, Astros and Indians)

« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2019, 01:51:12 PM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
The pitching is NOT good.

Sale is DONE.

Thought Porcello and Price would be better.

Oh and we have no closer.

Hitting can only get you so far.

« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2019, 03:47:24 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1370

I don't think many of us would have said it was a bad decision at the time. Hindsight, of course, is 20/20.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2019, 04:12:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I don't think many of us would have said it was a bad decision at the time. Hindsight, of course, is 20/20.
And of course calling a 5 year extension a failure 3 games into the year before the extension kicks in is a bit of doomsday mentality.

« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2019, 04:25:56 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376

And of course calling a 5 year extension a failure 3 games into the year before the extension kicks in is a bit of doomsday mentality.
I’m not calling it a failure because of these 3 games. It’s been two years in a row where his durability has been a concern. I personally just think it will end up being a bad contract due to his slight body type and propensity to break down.

« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2019, 11:54:39 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Sox with a much needed (walk-off) win tonight, spearheaded by a huge RBI double by Moreland in the 9th inning to tie the game.

Hard to believe that Mitch Moreland of all people is largely responsible for the 3 of the 4 wins we have so far (3 run homer in Seattle, solo HR in Arizona and RBI double in the 9th tonight.)

Starting pitching is still a major issue though. Eovaldi roughed up for 5 runs in 5 innings including 2 home runs. The starting pitching NEEDS to come around.