Poll

POLL: Which one of the following is most likely to be on the C's roster for 2023-4 season?

W. Carter
3 (15%)
Valenchunas
0 (0%)
Vucevic
1 (5%)
Nurkic
0 (0%)
A. Davis
0 (0%)
Ayton
2 (10%)
J. Collins
6 (30%)
None of the above
8 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Who is our new frontcourt player?  (Read 1725 times)

Who is our new frontcourt player?
« on: June 21, 2023, 11:05:58 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
The choices are just a list of names I've heard (or haven't heard) mentioned in relation to the Celtics.

Re: Who is our new frontcourt player?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2023, 11:13:17 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Can you add a none of the above choice? I don't think we add any of those guys.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 11:25:17 AM by liam »

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2023, 11:31:16 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Can you add a none of the above choice? I don't think we add any of those guys.

Agreed.

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2023, 11:53:01 AM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1811
Just looking at your list, age 21-24 Collins would be a nice starting PF for the Cs.  Don't know what happened to him last season (age 25) and he may be on a slippery slope that can't be reversed.  His $26M/Y salary through 25/26 is manageable.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2023, 12:01:44 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Just looking at your list, age 21-24 Collins would be a nice starting PF for the Cs.  Don't know what happened to him last season (age 25) and he may be on a slippery slope that can't be reversed.  His $26M/Y salary through 25/26 is manageable.

How would we match that salary?

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2023, 12:36:55 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

Either Smart or Brogdon for sure would have to be included.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2023, 01:03:55 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1811

Smart and Gallinari does it I think.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2023, 01:04:53 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
I don't expect any starting caliber big. I am just hoping for a solid bench big man like Naz Reid or someone of that ability.

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2023, 01:45:26 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1765
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

If we trade Smart for Collins, it would be a major mistake. Collins basically declined at everything last year. Even trading Brogdon for Collins would be super-questionable.

Sure, it's possible we can make him improve his attitude and make him care about basketball again, but he looks a lot better on paper than he is as an actual basketball player. Can anybody actually remember anything he did against us in the Atlanta series?

I'd much rather overpay for a guy like Wendell Carter - who is on a dream contract - than acquire Collins. Gallinari at 1/4 the cost is a much better value and he actually gets other players involved.

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2023, 01:49:03 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743

If we trade Smart for Collins, it would be a major mistake. Collins basically declined at everything last year. Even trading Brogdon for Collins would be super-questionable.

Sure, it's possible we can make him improve his attitude and make him care about basketball again, but he looks a lot better on paper than he is as an actual basketball player. Can anybody actually remember anything he did against us in the Atlanta series?

I'd much rather overpay for a guy like Wendell Carter - who is on a dream contract - than acquire Collins. Gallinari at 1/4 the cost is a much better value and he actually gets other players involved.

I vaguely remember him making a big three once

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2023, 01:56:15 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Maybe Gallinari is our new front court player. 

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2023, 02:24:50 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1680
Some smoke from Shams that we're after Porzingis.  I don't listen to a lot of the speculation but he's one of the few worth taking seriously. 

I like the fit in theory.  Availability is always a concern with him. 

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2023, 02:25:07 PM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150
Apparently we are in on Porzingis which is certainly interesting. If he stays healthy, he's a fit like a glove -- interior force on defense, spreads the floor, 27 years old. Can play the 4 if he needs to next to Rob but will likely find himself more comfortable at the 5 depending on the matchup. Let's Al play the same role but on reduced minutes -- they'd be fantastic as a pairing. It's very intriguing.

That's...if he can stay healthy. 65 games last year was a good sign. Before that, 17, 34, 51, 43, 57, 0, 48. That's gross and hard to really count on. I'm not sure you can pay this guy a big contract and hold your breath that he'll be there. You can't rely on Brogdon, Williams, Porzingis, aging Horford to be healthy when it counts. You might get all four, you might get zero. You can get screwed so easily.

I wonder what type of contract he's looking for and what the Wizards would need in return. The Beal trade suggests they'll be happy with really anything but I wouldn't trade any meaningful pieces or offer this guy a huge long-term deal. I'm not sure how that comes together.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2023, 02:26:52 PM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150
Some smoke from Shams that we're after Porzingis.  I don't listen to a lot of the speculation but he's one of the few worth taking seriously. 

I like the fit in theory.  Availability is always a concern with him.

Seeing Shams' quote now that it'd be an "opt-in-and-trade." That makes more sense to me. Pay the guy this year for a rental and see how it goes. He's still young and if he can stay healthy two seasons in a row maybe you pay him then. I guess it definitionally to match contracts probably costs Brogdon but otherwise shouldn't cost very much.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2023, 03:05:15 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2959
  • On To Banner 18!
Adding Porzingis can push Horford more to the 4, but maybe also to the bench which might be the best for him and the team since he's turning 37. Less pressure on him, and a bit more flexibility in the frontcourt. If they keep Gallinari, he can also play the 4 and factor in as well. It's not just all Horford/Timelord
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller