17 (54.8%)
Smart for Sengun, Tate, Eason
8 (25.8%)
Smart for Jalen Smith, Isaiah Jackson, TJ McConnell
3 (9.7%)
Smart for Nurkic and Watford
3 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Best trade package for Smart  (Read 15726 times)

Re: Best trade package for Smart
« Reply #105 on: June 13, 2023, 02:58:05 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 488
Only way we could get into the realm of Scoot is if we moved Brown. Smart or whatever spare change we could move isn't worth the 3rd pick in a top heavy draft. Way too little value for that draft spot.
#JKJB

« Reply #106 on: June 13, 2023, 03:10:32 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1764
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Smart is literally my favorite player on the team and I would have to trade him for the #3 if it was a possibility.

This isn't bringing in rookie Romeo Langford. Our last #3 pick was the best player in our ECF playoff run his rookie year in 2017-18. There are a lot of reinforcements on the team to make it a smooth transition and the payoff could be immeasurable.

But I will emphasize that this is not even a remote possibility. Which means I will happily continue rooting for my favorite player.

« Reply #107 on: June 13, 2023, 06:18:38 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Wolves get: Smart
Wolves trade: Conley, McDaniels
Wolves have been reported to be after Smart for years, as a stabilizing, defensive force next to their young core. McDaniels disappointed a bit this past year and may have lost his shine as an "untouchable" guy. Smart-Edwards-Anderson-KAT-Gobert is a solid core out West.

Celtics get: Beal
Celtics trade: Smart, Brogdon, Pritchard, 2 future 1sts
The Celtics make this move to try to win a championship. I realize the 2nd apron is going to be an issue moving forward, but they can still resign their own players and develop internally. This gives them another reliable scorer in the playoffs and lets Tatum play with his friend. If they win a championship, nothing else matters. Beal-Brown-Tatum-Horford-Williams is probably the best starting lineup in the NBA. They still have White, Gallo, GWilliams, Hauser, and Muscala off the bench.

Wizards get: Conley, Brogdon, McDaniels, Pritchard, 2 future 1sts
Wizards trade: Beal
I think this is a very fair trade given Beal's production and bloated contract. With a new GM, they are likely to look to rebuild. This gets them off long-term money while still giving them some solid veteran guards. They also get two solid prospects to develop with some first round picks. They move forward with Advija-McDaniels-Kispert-Pritchard youth movement. They may even try to trade Conley and Brogdon for additional picks/prospects.
That's an interesting one. Leaves us with a pretty shallow bench, but a really hard to stop wing group. Would (again) need an improvement in the bench big area in the inevitability of further decline / injury. Very interesting. I think Beal has shown himself to be a comparable passer to Smart, and I have no doubt he can maintain (if not improve) his high shooting efficiencies of the most recent season. Less volume of shots, but I could see him becoming a 20/7/5 guy here.

Beal / White
Brown / Hauser
Tatum / G Williams
Horford / Gallinari
Williams 3 / Muscala

That being said, I probably prefer #3. Scoot is cut from that Westbrook / Rose / Francis cloth of powerful athletic PG, and would be super fun here. Like those 3 guards, I think he can make an immediate impact too.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2023, 09:22:19 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
I've got another one. The Bulls are reportedly checking the value of Lavine around the league. With Vucevic's contract out and DeRozan on an expiring, they may be looking to retool.

I'm a big fan of Lavine. I think he got a poor reputation from early in his career from things that weren't his fault. There was a time there when both he and Booker were on losing basketball teams, and pretty much every stat was identical. Then Booker got Paul and Lavine got DeRozan. He also played for team USA with Tatum, Brown, and Smart.

He's a better scorer than Beal. I think the concerns about his defense are wildly overrated. From what I've seen, he's an engaged defender that can make some plays. He's actually pretty good against quick guards, which is something we've had problems with for a few years. He's an excellent driver and shooter outside. He's also pretty good at passing the basketball.

The thing I like best about him has been his versatility. Whether he was made to play point guard, or off-guard, or off-off guard, or whether he had to play with two-big lineups, DeRozan, non-shooters, etc. He has always been able to perform and fit in.

He seems very competitive too, which I love.

I wonder if we could send Smart and Brogdon, plus a future first for Lavine.

« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2023, 10:52:43 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
I would prefer Zach LaVine to Bradley Beal, I can say that.  The proposed trade of:

Smart + Brogdon
for
LaVine

...works in terms of salary.  I think if you do this, you have to then trade Brown too.  Adding LaVine to Brown and Tatum would result in too many similar players and too much money paid to those similar player.  I do think that LaVine is a better ball handler than Brown, at least subjectively, so in that regard, maybe a better pairing with Tatum.  Statistically, they are pretty similar the last 3 seasons:

Brown    19.4 pts / 6.3 rebs / 0.549 eFG% / 0.580 TS%  / 3.4 asst / 2.8 TOV
LaVine   18.3 pts / 4.7 rebs / 0.568 eFG% / 0.615 TS% / 4.5 asst / 2.8 TOV

I like the idea, good to see fresh thoughts, but I think Smart and Brogdon is a little too rich for me.  Maybe offer Brogdon and sign/trade Grant (at about $10M would work), which isn't a package for Smart anymore, but work with me.  Offer Pritchard too if that helps, plus some picks of course.

You still then have to trade Brown so that really complicates things.

« Reply #110 on: June 16, 2023, 11:14:37 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
I would prefer Zach LaVine to Bradley Beal, I can say that.  The proposed trade of:

Smart + Brogdon
for
LaVine

...works in terms of salary.  I think if you do this, you have to then trade Brown too.  Adding LaVine to Brown and Tatum would result in too many similar players and too much money paid to those similar player.  I do think that LaVine is a better ball handler than Brown, at least subjectively, so in that regard, maybe a better pairing with Tatum.  Statistically, they are pretty similar the last 3 seasons:

Brown    19.4 pts / 6.3 rebs / 0.549 eFG% / 0.580 TS%  / 3.4 asst / 2.8 TOV
LaVine   18.3 pts / 4.7 rebs / 0.568 eFG% / 0.615 TS% / 4.5 asst / 2.8 TOV

I like the idea, good to see fresh thoughts, but I think Smart and Brogdon is a little too rich for me.  Maybe offer Brogdon and sign/trade Grant (at about $10M would work), which isn't a package for Smart anymore, but work with me.  Offer Pritchard too if that helps, plus some picks of course.

You still then have to trade Brown so that really complicates things.

I like this idea without trading Brown. I think Lavine, more so than other players, has the ability to fit in next to other guys. I think he has a very Tatum-like quality in that way.

Part of the idea of this would be for Brown to work off of Tatum and Lavine a bit more, and have Lavine take Smart/Brogdon's shots/possessions. This also allows Brown to become an all-defensive wing if he would buy into investing some energy from offense into defense. I think he has that kind of ability, but the workload can be a lot if you are doing it both ways.

Honestly, I wasn't sure that Smart/Brogdon was enough, but you may be right. I wonder if we could bring back Caruso in a deal like that.

Smart, Brogdon, future first
for
Lavine, Caruso

Given the new thoughts out there for the trade values of players in the new CBA, I think this may be close. But I would think the Bulls would want one guy with some upside, even if they aren't a future star. Maybe Pritchard? (i think it would be difficult to trade Grant Williams to them due to sign-and-trade rules).

If not, I think you'd have to get creative sending one of Smart or Brogdon to a third team for a young player (like Minny for McDaniels).

« Reply #111 on: June 16, 2023, 11:43:56 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
I like Smart for Stewart and Killian Hayes. If the Pistons are just going to let Hayes go then this is a great trade for them. Hayes has been bad but he's still only 21. This works in the trade machine.

« Reply #112 on: June 16, 2023, 11:51:44 AM »

Online Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I've been looking at Portland as a trade partner if they're really in win mow mode with Dame.

Smart would be a great partner for Dame.  Smart would take the defensive pressure off Dame.  Smart could also let Dame play off the ball a little to take some of the ball handling and playmaking responsibilities from Dame and let him take a few plays off on offense with the hope that Dame could get some in game "rest."

I was looking at the #3 pick if Henderson is still available as the primary asset from Portland but that's an big overpay for Smart when you also think about the players that the C's would get in for salary matching.

« Reply #113 on: June 16, 2023, 11:59:48 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
I like Smart for Stewart and Killian Hayes. If the Pistons are just going to let Hayes go then this is a great trade for them. Hayes has been bad but he's still only 21. This works in the trade machine.

Hayes has played 168 NBA Games, starting 114 of them and is a career 27% from 3 and 38% overall.  He is still young (turns 22 in July) but I don't see why the Celtics would want him.  Stewart is an interesting player, but I value Smart much more.  You have to calibrate Stewart's stats based on the fact that he is playing on perhaps the worst team in the league.  Think how Grant might look on a team like DET.

« Reply #114 on: June 16, 2023, 12:03:41 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
I've been looking at Portland as a trade partner if they're really in win mow mode with Dame.

Smart would be a great partner for Dame.  Smart would take the defensive pressure off Dame.  Smart could also let Dame play off the ball a little to take some of the ball handling and playmaking responsibilities from Dame and let him take a few plays off on offense with the hope that Dame could get some in game "rest."

I was looking at the #3 pick if Henderson is still available as the primary asset from Portland but that's an big overpay for Smart when you also think about the players that the C's would get in for salary matching.

I think Houston for the #4 pick is about the right value. But Portland for #3 is probably too much. This is probably the value of the prospects. If it were a two-person draft, then #3 would probably be right.

« Reply #115 on: June 16, 2023, 12:10:08 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Hayes has played 168 NBA Games, starting 114 of them and is a career 27% from 3 and 38% overall.  He is still young (turns 22 in July) but I don't see why the Celtics would want him.  Stewart is an interesting player, but I value Smart much more.  You have to calibrate Stewart's stats based on the fact that he is playing on perhaps the worst team in the league.  Think how Grant might look on a team like DET.

I think Hayes would be better as a role player and I also think he'll make a leap either this year or next. He has tools but he needs to polish them. Stewart is a big bruiser that can hit the 3. He's only 22. Smart is at his peak right now...

If the Pistons want Grant then the same trade would work.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 12:21:08 PM by liam »

« Reply #116 on: June 16, 2023, 12:22:32 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

I think Hayes would be better as a role player and I also think he'll make a leap either this year or next. He has tools but he needs to polish them. Stewart is a big bruiser that can hit the 3. He's only 22. Smart is at his peak right now...

If you have analyzed Hayes, I will defer to you on that.  I have not watched him play much so I can't make any projection on him beyond what I see in the stats.  For Stewart, he is a career 33.8% from 3 and was 33.7% last season.  Grant for perspective has been about 40% from 3 over the last two seasons.  Stewart scored about 11 pts/gm but took 8.8 attempts, Grant averaged 9 pts/gm on 6.0 shot attempts.  I see Stewart as maybe a better bench big than Grant, a little bigger (he is only 6'-8" vs. Grant at 6'-6"), better rebounder, maybe able to defend bigger players better, but his production would erode on the Celtics over what he did on DET.  I just value Smart much more.

« Reply #117 on: June 16, 2023, 01:23:28 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

If you have analyzed Hayes, I will defer to you on that.  I have not watched him play much so I can't make any projection on him beyond what I see in the stats.  For Stewart, he is a career 33.8% from 3 and was 33.7% last season.  Grant for perspective has been about 40% from 3 over the last two seasons.  Stewart scored about 11 pts/gm but took 8.8 attempts, Grant averaged 9 pts/gm on 6.0 shot attempts.  I see Stewart as maybe a better bench big than Grant, a little bigger (he is only 6'-8" vs. Grant at 6'-6"), better rebounder, maybe able to defend bigger players better, but his production would erode on the Celtics over what he did on DET.  I just value Smart much more.

Smart's inconsistency drives me crazy so that probably colors my view of his value. He would be the perfect guy for the Pistons to bring in on their young team. I think Stewart and Hayes would give us better balance.

« Reply #118 on: June 16, 2023, 07:17:17 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I've got another one. The Bulls are reportedly checking the value of Lavine around the league. With Vucevic's contract out and DeRozan on an expiring, they may be looking to retool.

I'm a big fan of Lavine. I think he got a poor reputation from early in his career from things that weren't his fault. There was a time there when both he and Booker were on losing basketball teams, and pretty much every stat was identical. Then Booker got Paul and Lavine got DeRozan. He also played for team USA with Tatum, Brown, and Smart.

He's a better scorer than Beal. I think the concerns about his defense are wildly overrated. From what I've seen, he's an engaged defender that can make some plays. He's actually pretty good against quick guards, which is something we've had problems with for a few years. He's an excellent driver and shooter outside. He's also pretty good at passing the basketball.

The thing I like best about him has been his versatility. Whether he was made to play point guard, or off-guard, or off-off guard, or whether he had to play with two-big lineups, DeRozan, non-shooters, etc. He has always been able to perform and fit in.

He seems very competitive too, which I love.

I wonder if we could send Smart and Brogdon, plus a future first for Lavine.
Lavine for Smart and Brogdon. That is a super interesting move, especially if the Bulls are rebuilding. Lavine is a more serious high volume high efficiency 3PT shooter than Beal is, which I think would help him slot in next to Brown and JT. Capable of being dangerous off-ball, as we've seen next to DeRozan.

Go small, given we would probably want White running the point.

White / Pritchard
Lavine / Hauser
Brown / G Williams
Tatum / Gallinari
Horford / R Williams
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)