Author Topic: Kemba Walker out of Knicks Rotation  (Read 8152 times)

Re: Kemba Walker out of Knicks Rotation
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2021, 08:21:05 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2405
I get not starting him, but it seems kind-of odd to make a declaration to the world that he is being removed from the rotation entirely. Even if he sits for a few games, there will be injuries and other guys might have off-nights. To go from 'top 5' on a team to outside of the top 10 overnight seems like a drastic move. At the very least, he could be a very good microwave off the bench...I wish we had a Kemba-type player off of our bench.

They already have D-Rose as their backup PG, microwave scorer and 6th man of the year candidate. Rose was probably the 3rd best player on the year last year behind Randle and Barrett despite coming off the bench. Rose only comes off the bench because that is the role that suits him these days.

So there is no bench role for Kemba to easily slide into.

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2021, 08:47:00 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436
I get not starting him, but it seems kind-of odd to make a declaration to the world that he is being removed from the rotation entirely. Even if he sits for a few games, there will be injuries and other guys might have off-nights. To go from 'top 5' on a team to outside of the top 10 overnight seems like a drastic move. At the very least, he could be a very good microwave off the bench...I wish we had a Kemba-type player off of our bench.

I never understood the signing considering the kind of coach Thibs is. If you can’t hold your own defensively, you don’t play. Makes me think that maybe Dolan wanted Kemba in NY and not the coach.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2021, 09:04:37 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Kemba body could not survive CBS , who let him miss like every other game , and Tibbs is known for getting all he can get out of a player. Kemba was doomed . 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 08:21:16 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2021, 09:06:34 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Thibs never wanted Walker or Fournier.  They were both signed over his objections and he was sort of forced to play them.  Walker has been an epic disaster so Thibs can finally cut bait.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2021, 09:12:54 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436
Thibs never wanted Walker or Fournier.  They were both signed over his objections and he was sort of forced to play them.  Walker has been an epic disaster so Thibs can finally cut bait.

Sources?
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2021, 09:38:19 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Fournier is not exactly winning Thibs over either.

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2021, 09:50:34 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

The guy was getting synvisc injections……Cs are lucky they were able to dump his contract.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 03:23:27 PM by Ogaju »

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2021, 10:34:41 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

If this is true would be super interested in seeing sources also. Seems thibs had a lot of power. Is this a Dolan thing?

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2021, 11:05:01 PM »

Online tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
I applaud Danny for effort, but acquiring Kyrie then Kemba have been significant parts of the demise of all the promise this era once had.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2021, 11:24:32 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

If this is true would be super interested in seeing sources also. Seems thibs had a lot of power. Is this a Dolan thing?
Eddie Johnson said it on his radio show today.  Said it with such conviction and with no additional explanation that I just figured it must have been common knowledge. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2021, 11:48:30 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I applaud Danny for effort, but acquiring Kyrie then Kemba have been significant parts of the demise of all the promise this era once had.

In retrospect though, IT was clearly cooked, so acquiring Kyrie was still better than sticking with IT. Moving Rozier for Kemba was a mistake though.

The major factors for our franchise struggles are Hayward's injury and Ainge never choosing a direction between the all-star vet core and the young prospects core, leaving us with a mismatched roster and horrible bench each season.

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2021, 12:11:52 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Kemba went downhill fast. As recently as Kyrie's last season here he was playing at an all star level and was pretty durable throughout his career. Jordan obviously knew what he was doing in not signing him to an extension.

Brad, to his credit, made dumping Kemba his first priority when he took over Danny's job. 

I feel bad for Kemba because he can't do it anymore. But he's also had a great career and made a whole bunch of cash.

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2021, 02:26:11 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526

It’s hard to recover from major mistakes in the NBA. The other major mistake was GH - mistake meaning big expenditure diidn’t work for whatever reason.  Lakers are the only franchise where mistakes don’t really matter - they can always retool with top tier players within a few years.

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2021, 02:32:41 AM »

Online tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732

In retrospect though, IT was clearly cooked, so acquiring Kyrie was still better than sticking with IT. Moving Rozier for Kemba was a mistake though.

The major factors for our franchise struggles are Hayward's injury and Ainge never choosing a direction between the all-star vet core and the young prospects core, leaving us with a mismatched roster and horrible bench each season.

Yes, Danny tried to have his cake and eat it too - seemed possible at the time.

So, let's say instead he chooses a direction and goes with the all-star vet-core (still ridding the team of head-case Kyrie, though).
What does our first 8 look like now ??
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2021, 04:11:09 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Getting Kemba, Kyrie, & Hayward at the time look like great trades & signing..no one knew bout Walker knees, Kyrie mental state or Hayward would have a broken leg
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin