Author Topic: Hot take: lakers are done  (Read 5921 times)

Re: Hot take: lakers are done
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2021, 12:25:35 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
They’re not looking good.  But come the playoffs, if Lebron, Davis, and Westbrook are healthy, I suspect they’ll win.  I also think that level of health is unlikely.

I think it depends largely on Lebron and AD's health in the playoffs as you say, but also on the Lakers ability to trade Westbrook for useful pieces before then.

Yeah, it reminds me a bit of the 2018 Cavs.  That team struggled with chemistry most of the season, but made a flurry of trades that worked out and got them back to the Finals.

That could still happen, but it’s going to take some brilliant, roster-balancing trades.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2021, 01:56:09 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391
They’re not looking good.  But come the playoffs, if Lebron, Davis, and Westbrook are healthy, I suspect they’ll win.  I also think that level of health is unlikely.

I think it depends largely on Lebron and AD's health in the playoffs as you say, but also on the Lakers ability to trade Westbrook for useful pieces before then.

Yeah, it reminds me a bit of the 2018 Cavs.  That team struggled with chemistry most of the season, but made a flurry of trades that worked out and got them back to the Finals.

That could still happen, but it’s going to take some brilliant, roster-balancing trades.
I think there were easier landing spots for players like Wade, crowder, rose, shumpert and first round picks than Westbrook . How do they get rid of Westbrook? Is wall only possible target salary wise? Maybe love?

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2021, 02:10:32 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I think there were easier landing spots for players like Wade, crowder, rose, shumpert and first round picks than Westbrook . How do they get rid of Westbrook? Is wall only possible target salary wise? Maybe love?

Really hard to say.  Maybe there's a team out there with a bunch of role players on three year contracts that would be interested in dumping for a guy on a two-year deal.  But I have no idea if that team exists.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2021, 02:32:58 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
They've got lots of time to figure it out but my prediction preseason was 45 wins and a first round exit. I'm sticking with that.

Westbrook in the 4th year of his "I Didn't Deserve That MVP" tour.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2021, 04:14:46 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
They looked Old and Slow or maybe just Disinterested.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2021, 04:21:25 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Really hard to say.  Maybe there's a team out there with a bunch of role players on three year contracts that would be interested in dumping for a guy on a two-year deal.  But I have no idea if that team exists.

Wizards could trade them Harrell, Kuzma and KCP on December 15th? Could use that shooting and energy.

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2021, 04:32:03 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
They looked Old and Slow or maybe just Disinterested.

All the above

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2021, 08:52:17 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Based on recurring disappointment, I’ve learned not to count out LeBron nor the Lakers. I feel like even if their contracts becomes an albatross for them, they’ll find some way out.

Remember, the Lakers do not need to draft well or keep their picks like other teams do. There will always be a shrewd small market GM that will take on their bad contracts for draft picks... because for them, draft picks are their only way.

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2021, 08:54:44 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Based on recurring disappointment, I’ve learned not to count out LeBron nor the Lakers. I feel like even if their contracts becomes an albatross for them, they’ll find some way out.

Remember, the Lakers do not need to draft well or keep their picks like other teams do. There will always be a shrewd small market GM that will take on their bad contracts for draft picks... because for them, draft picks are their only way.
The problem for the Lakers is they already dried up their draft farm for Davis

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2021, 08:56:25 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • The voice of reason

They can afford to trade premium talent like Randle, Ingram, Ball, Kuzma for an experiment because if it fails they just unload that for the next superstar free agent who wants the amazing weather and market.

Nice to be them, eh?

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2021, 09:00:02 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

They can afford to trade premium talent like Randle, Ingram, Ball, Kuzma for an experiment because if it fails they just unload that for the next superstar free agent who wants the amazing weather and market.

Nice to be them, eh?

What does it take for them to offload westbrook to a small market team? How many picks do they even own they can trade?

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2021, 09:07:35 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • The voice of reason

Nice to be them, eh?

What does it take for them to offload westbrook to a small market team? How many picks do they even own they can trade?

I think the Westbrook contract is irrelevant as it expires in 2023, same as LeBron. I’d be pretty surprised if they deviate from the LeBron Davis Westbrook plan before end of next season. They committed to this when they extended LeBron.

In 2023 all they need to do is pair Davis with another star (or 2) and they’re right back to elite.

But yeah if they gave 2 picks I think they could easily offload Westbrook’s 1 year expiring contract next season to a team with no chance under minimum payroll... his name could help sell tickets and merchandise as well.

« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2021, 12:56:16 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Nice to be them, eh?

I think the Westbrook contract is irrelevant as it expires in 2023, same as LeBron. I’d be pretty surprised if they deviate from the LeBron Davis Westbrook plan before end of next season. They committed to this when they extended LeBron.

In 2023 all they need to do is pair Davis with another star (or 2) and they’re right back to elite.

But yeah if they gave 2 picks I think they could easily offload Westbrook’s 1 year expiring contract next season to a team with no chance under minimum payroll... his name could help sell tickets and merchandise as well.

I don't think they want to keep Westbrook this year. They have probably at most 3 more seasons with Lebron including this one, and he is going to keep slowly getting worse and consistent nagging injuries. Don't think they can ride out a whole season with this terrible fit if they can avoid it.

« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2021, 02:08:39 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Calling it right now: LeBron is not going to stay healthy enough to surpass Kareem for all-time points leader. Heck, one bad injury and he’s not even getting past the Mailman…

« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2021, 02:11:08 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Lakers should seriously consider sending Westbrook to Houston for Wall. Can’t be a worse fit.

Agree. The Westbrook move is beyond horrible. At least with Wall you’ve got less of a spotlight on the move, get out from under the contract sooner (if memory serves), etc.

If I were them, I’d seriously considering dumping Westbrook for Love considering how bad Westbrook is making AD look…