Poll

Who has been most disappointing team so far?

Atlanta hawks
14 (35%)
Portland trailblazers
0 (0%)
LA Lakers
6 (15%)
New Orleans Pelicans
2 (5%)
Milwaukee Bucks
5 (12.5%)
Boston Celtics
13 (32.5%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: most disappointing team so far?  (Read 5866 times)

most disappointing team so far?
« on: November 13, 2021, 03:12:06 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Was curious what others thought. I would have to say Hawks coming off ECF. All the other teams on here except blazers have had injury issues. That being said the Lakers have had some pretty bad loses (okc twice, twolves home tonight). I included the celtics just cause I somebody would say them but 6-6 without brown for a few games.

Re: most disappointing team so far?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 08:07:45 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Disappointment is based on expectation.  IMO, Atlanta over-achieved last playoffs.  I did not have an expectation that LAL would come together quickly with their geriatric roster.

So, I voted for the current NBA champions.

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2021, 12:19:44 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
It is interesting that some find the Laker start disappointing. They have a bunch of old players they put together with hopes that they could make it work. That team has always been a hit or miss. It still is.

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2021, 01:13:58 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Atlanta most disappointed..Washington most surprising
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2021, 01:40:41 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Disappointment is based on expectation.  IMO, Atlanta over-achieved last playoffs.  I did not have an expectation that LAL would come together quickly with their geriatric roster.

So, I voted for the current NBA champions.

Even if you think the Hawks overachieved last year, did you expect them to be one of the worst teams in the East?

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2021, 02:23:05 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
 The Hawks are 3-1 at home and 1-8 on the road. Boston is the worst team record wise they have lost to.  The Hawks start give their schedule should have been absolutely expected as their schedule has been brutal.

The Bucks is the correct answer to this even with Holiday and Middleton having injuries because Giannis has played every game except the last one to Boston.  With a healthy Giannis they should not be .500
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2021, 02:34:59 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
It is interesting that some find the Laker start disappointing. They have a bunch of old players they put together with hopes that they could make it work. That team has always been a hit or miss. It still is.
I'm also surprised to see that. I pegged them as a 45-win team before the season started and now they're 7-6 so I don't know what everyone else thought they were going to do.

I thought Atlanta had figured something out last season and was going to come out strong but they're looking terrible so far.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2021, 02:35:52 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
The Hawks are 3-1 at home and 1-8 on the road. Boston is the worst team record wise they have lost to.  The Hawks start give their schedule should have been absolutely expected as their schedule has been brutal.

The Bucks is the correct answer to this even with Holiday and Middleton having injuries because Giannis has played every game except the last one to Boston.  With a healthy Giannis they should not be .500

This is a surprising take on the hawks two of their wins are against pistons and pelicans at home. They also haven’t been close in many of their games with 5 double digit losses and 2 more 9 point losses. Don’t think anyone would serious say this was “expected.”

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2021, 02:45:28 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Its got to be ether LAL or ATL.

MIL has just been injured/endured Covid absences. They will be fine.

NOP is without Zion, but also I wouldn't say they were expected to actually be good anyway.

BOS is coming around.

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2021, 04:08:50 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I would say for most people it will be LA, but for me it's Atlanta. Thought McMillan would have them playing  lot better than they have been thus far
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2021, 05:43:03 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Didn’t CP3 at 36 take the previously playoff drought Suns to 2nd seed and the Finals?

Veterans win in the NBA, always have. The problem is that these veterans were never above average defenders, are worse at it in the present, and are being exposed for their deficiencies. Westbrook and Melo are playing in mud, they’re poor perimeter defenders with poor lateral movement on a team that had the #1 defense last season

Vogel’s going to have to change his entire approach with this team to get them to be Championship level. They were penciled in as #1 in the West before the season, Bucks #2 in the East, and Hawks bottom of the East playoff bracket. it’s too early in the season to count any of these teams out of it, but their poor start has been disappointing.

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2021, 05:57:12 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Isn't the answers ALWAYS the Celtics? Hmm...

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2021, 06:36:56 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
Its got to be ether LAL or ATL.

MIL has just been injured/endured Covid absences. They will be fine.

NOP is without Zion, but also I wouldn't say they were expected to actually be good anyway.

BOS is coming around.
Anyone with good enough basketball knowledge that Lakers will implode due to bad fit and aging roster. Only mainstream media hype them up as legit contenders.

Hawks is reasonable though, especially after that ECF run and upset of the Sixers

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2021, 06:43:49 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I'm also surprised to see that. I pegged them as a 45-win team before the season started and now they're 7-6 so I don't know what everyone else thought they were going to do.

I thought Atlanta had figured something out last season and was going to come out strong but they're looking terrible so far.

They’ve had a very easy schedule which when factored in renders their start underachieving.

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2021, 06:50:58 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

This is a surprising take on the hawks two of their wins are against pistons and pelicans at home. They also haven’t been close in many of their games with 5 double digit losses and 2 more 9 point losses. Don’t think anyone would serious say this was “expected.”
those 2 wins are the only 2 teams they have played that are below .500.  So they've played 75% of their games on the road and 85% of their games against winning teams.  Their schedule has been absolutely brutal. Their next 15 games are MUCH MUCH easier.  If they are still struggling after that, then there should be cause for concern.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip