Author Topic: Celtics waive and then resign Jabari Parker  (Read 9432 times)

Celtics waive and then resign Jabari Parker
« on: October 17, 2021, 05:47:34 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
From the Globe.

The Celtics are waiving forward Jabari Parker, according to a league source. On opening night, $1.1 million of Parker’s $2.3 million salary would have become guaranteed. Boston now has one open roster spot and one open two-way contract slot.

President of basketball operations Brad Stevens said recently the team would likely wait to see what players became available before deciding how to use the second two-way spot. The Celtics, who are operating above the luxury-tax threshold, could simply keep the 15th roster spot open. In addition to being a cost-saving measure, it could also create options for two-for-one trades.

Also, two-way contract players are now eligible to be active for up to 50 games per season, essentially serving as end-of-roster depth at a lower price.

Several notable veterans have been cut in recent days, including Dante Exum, Avery Bradley, Kris Dunn, and Jordan Bell.

The Celtics signed Parker, the No. 2 overall pick of the 2014 draft, to a two-year deal last April, but just $100,000 of this season’s salary was guaranteed. He played in 10 games with the Celtics last season, averaging 6.4 points and 3.6 rebounds per game. He started Boston’s preseason finale against the Heat on Friday, registering 4 points and three steals.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/10/17/sports/celtics-waive-forward-jabari-parker/
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 09:21:06 PM by Roy H. »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Re: Celtics to waive Jabari Parker
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 06:11:31 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Good. The guy is a dud. It has been abundantly clear for a long time now. What a waste of time and money it was keeping him around this long.

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 06:13:56 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Good. The guy is a dud. It has been abundantly clear for a long time now. What a waste of time and money it was keeping him around this long.

Yea get lost Romeo Langford

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 06:19:21 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I guess adding Juancho made Jabari expendable. G-Will was probably ahead of him in the pecking order as well.

Wouldn't be against signing Garrison Matthews on a vet minimum contract now that we have a roster spot available.

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 06:40:03 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I expected this because of the cap and the team having Juancho.

Team could use a defensive 4 doubt they can find one.

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2021, 06:51:18 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I wanted them to keep him. Probably a cost-saving move.

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2021, 08:05:37 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Good.  His selfish game is hard to watch.  He plays with no effort at all unless there are points to be had.

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 08:09:41 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
The sudden development of Nesmith and Langford might be a factor. When them getting regular rotation minutes, there would be no more room for Parker on the team.

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2021, 08:25:26 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I guess adding Juancho made Jabari expendable. G-Will was probably ahead of him in the pecking order as well.

Wouldn't be against signing Garrison Matthews on a vet minimum contract now that we have a roster spot available.

I thought Jabari outplayed him in preseason. But can’t cut Juancho contract.

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2021, 08:32:44 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
He started and played a lot during the Miami game. The Cs probably  gave him a chance to show what he could do with extended minutes. Unfortunately his performance was nothing great. He looked slow and lumbering throughout the pre season games. While it clearly is a cost cutting move by the Cs,  Jabari’s overall performance didn’t help him much as well. I’m a fan of Jabari but I guess it’s time to move on.

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2021, 08:35:41 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
This isn’t terribly surprising.  He was non-guaranteed, and at more than the minimum salary (or, more than the minimum salary they can replace him with.)  He had to win a rotation spot in camp to be kept, and not merely be in the top 12 or 15 players.

Look for the C’s to sign a player or players to a non-guaranteed 1-year deal, as needed for depth issues.  We’ve heard of a big being brought in to start the season due to depth, and I could also imagine a PG a being signed later in the year of depth issues strike there instead.

If someone they sign plays well, he might be kept past the January guarantee deadline, but I expect them to be at 14 players in mid-January, giving them trade deadline flexibility, while also making it easier to reduce or eliminate a tax bill if the level of competitiveness calls for it.

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2021, 09:38:07 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I expect them to roll with 14 guys + Hauser to begin the season. Brad can see how good the team actually looks and decide whether he wants to add someone, etc.

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2021, 09:47:01 PM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

Yeah, I was seeing things different.

Anyway, good luck to Jabari - he should go to China and make a bunch of money, still a very serviceable offensive weapon.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2021, 10:02:38 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Seemed like a good dude .  Wish him the best of luck.

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2021, 10:43:46 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Yeah, I was seeing things different.

Anyway, good luck to Jabari - he should go to China and make a bunch of money, still a very serviceable offensive weapon.

I see him as like Roy Hibbert was - too one dimensional in today's NBA, especially after the injuries. He's a one trick pony in a league where versatility and the ability to wear multiple hats, be a two way player, is more and more important.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D