Author Topic: Unpopular Opinion: Zion is ‘tradeable’  (Read 9029 times)

Unpopular Opinion: Zion is ‘tradeable’
« on: September 29, 2021, 01:50:32 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Usually someone like Zion Williamson is untouchable. Not even an offer of LeBron James would entice an NBA franchise to trade a blue chip talent like Williamson. Zion is a marketers dream, with super human strength, verticality and team oriented.

BUT, if I were David Griffin, I would be open to an all-time offer, because although the talent is obvious, there are equal amounts of red flags.

During the Pelicans media day it was revealed that Zion Williamson has had surgery to repair a broken foot and will miss significant time. This adds to the long list of major injuries Zion has suffered from junior high school through to the NBA. Zion does have a unique build but it’s clear he struggles to keep down his weight and this must be a major contributing factor.

Although a common player comparison of Zion has been Charles Barkley, I am reminded of Blake Griffin in assessing mirroring problems. Blake was also a freak athlete who had injury issues entering the NBA, although Blake was at one time an MVP candidate his elite career was shut closed once injuries sapped him of his athleticism.

I’m sure no GM would have the go ahead from ownership nor the guts to trade Zion Williamson, but this recent injury is very worrisome for Zion and the future of NBA basketball in New Orleans.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 01:09:29 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Unpopular Opinion: Zion is ‘tradeable’
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 01:52:26 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If you're the Pelicans' GM, what package do you accept for him?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 02:09:43 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum

Honestly it’s almost impossible to find equal value, maybe you roll the dice and trade for SGA and every Thunder pick they are able to offer. Perhaps a Jalen Green swap package or Griffin does his research on the next couple of drafts and trades Zion for the first pick.

I just can’t see Zion ever having a healthy career.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 02:32:57 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 02:17:19 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I mean that is the thing, in the history of the sport there have been very few players that were untradeable (as defined herein) and frankly the only 2 that may be in the league right now are Giannis and perhaps Lebron (and Lebron has certainly been untradeable at other times in his career).  Dirk, Duncan, and Kobe all reached a point where they were untradeable.  Before them it was probably Jordan.  The simple reality is there just aren't many players in the entire history of the game that were untradeable (again as defined herein).  But there are a lot of players that have been virtually impossible to trade because how do you get the value while also not destroying the team the player went to.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 02:55:57 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119

Ben Simmons? Lol
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2021, 04:49:06 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd look at Pistons Jermi Grant, Bey, Hayes and two unprotected first for Zion, Temple and Tomas.

I'd take that deal and run if I'm the Pelicans. If Pistons struggle you could get a top 5 pick year one.

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2021, 06:52:41 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I d send him a Danny Ainge offer  :)

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2021, 06:57:47 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I'd look at Pistons Jermi Grant, Bey, Hayes and two unprotected first for Zion, Temple and Tomas.

I'd take that deal and run if I'm the Pelicans. If Pistons struggle you could get a top 5 pick year one.
Might as well move the franchise if you do that trade.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2021, 07:07:32 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Shocking. You don't move Zion unless it's for another A-grade prospect or a serious All-Star
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2021, 07:24:29 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

Shocking. You don't move Zion unless it's for another A-grade prospect or a serious All-Star
I don't believe he will hold up. The two unprotected picks could net you a better long term impact player. Zion doesn't even want to stay in New Orleans. Let the guy go now while he still has high value and people will gamble on him getting back healthy.

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2021, 07:27:05 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

They probably should. New Orleans is a dieing city. It's been on the decline the last 20 years. With climate change it looks doomed to never recover.

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2021, 09:06:29 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Usually someone like Zion Williamson is untouchable. Not even an offer of LeBron James would entice an NBA franchise to trade a blue chip talent like Williamson. Zion is a marketers dream, with super human strength, vertically and a team oriented guy.

BUT, if I were David Griffin, I would be open to an all-time offer, because although the talent is obvious, there are equal amounts of red flags.

During the Pelicans media day it was revealed that Zion Williamson has had surgery to repair a broken foot and will miss significant time. This adds to the long list of major injuries Zion has suffered from junior high school through to the NBA. Zion does have a unique build but it’s clear he struggles to keep down his weight and this must be a major contributing factor.

Although a common player comparison of Zion has been Charles Barkley, I am reminded of Blake Griffin in assessing mirroring problems. Blake was also a freak athlete who had injury issues entering the NBA, although Blake was at one time an MVP candidate his elite career was shut closed once injuries sapped him of his athleticism.

I’m sure no GM would have the go ahead from ownership nor the guts to trade Zion Williamson, but this recent injury is very worrisome for Zion and the future of NBA basketball in New Orleans.

It’s hard to imagine it ever happening but it makes the most sense to move Zion for peak value then gamble on his health. I wonder if a D Fox and Barnes for Zion, Graham, Hayes, satoransky based trade would make sense for both teams. Fox, Hart, Ingram, Barnes and Valancunus on paper is a nice fit.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2021, 09:23:39 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

They probably should. New Orleans is a dieing city. It's been on the decline the last 20 years. With climate change it looks doomed to never recover.
Quite frankly, I think it's a pretty crappy thing to say that the nba should take a team away from a fanbase.

Regardless, it's an absolutely terrible decision to trade Zion. Teams endlessly tank for a talent like Zion. There's a small chance you get anything close to Zion.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2021, 09:38:12 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
The value of trades being proposed in this thread for Zion are ridiculous.  Zion is 2nd most valuable player under 25 in the league behind only Doncic.  Straight up there are maybe 5 players you would trade Zion for (Doncic, Giannis, Jokic, Davis, and then maybe Durant and Lebron).  I don't even think Tatum and Brown together would land you Zion.  This notion that borderline all stars and draft picks gets you Zion is just crazy town. 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 09:43:57 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2021, 09:54:48 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
The value of trades being proposed in this thread for Zion are ridiculous.  Zion is 2nd most valuable player under 25 in the league behind only Doncic.  Straight up there are maybe 5 players you would trade Zion for (Doncic, Giannis, Jokic, Davis, and then maybe Durant and Lebron).  I don't even think Tatum and Brown together would land you Zion.  This notion that borderline all stars and draft picks gets you Zion is just crazy town.

It’s funny you mock other peoples proposals because Zion for soon to be 37 year old lebron would be one of the dumbest trades by pelicans in history of the nba. Come on now.