Author Topic: Can Tatum play PF?  (Read 6040 times)

Can Tatum play PF?
« on: July 23, 2021, 02:43:58 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
The 4 spot is a glaring gap right now. But in this 3-ball era, with a lot of teams going for perimeter play, does it make sense to play Tatum at the 4? Can he get the lions share of his minutes there and thrive?

I assume the standard starting lineup would be Smart-Fournier-Brown-Tatum-Horford. Or if we can get a more natural playmaker, it’s Fournier off the bench (assuming we resign him). Then only when facing bigger lineups (like the Bucks, Pelicans, etc) do we slide Tatum to the 3 and go with Horford at the 4, with either Timelord or TT at the 5.
- LilRip

Re: Can Tatum play PF?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 03:37:07 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
The 4 spot is a glaring gap right now. But in this 3-ball era, with a lot of teams going for perimeter play, does it make sense to play Tatum at the 4? Can he get the lions share of his minutes there and thrive?

I assume the standard starting lineup would be Smart-Fournier-Brown-Tatum-Horford. Or if we can get a more natural playmaker, it’s Fournier off the bench (assuming we resign him). Then only when facing bigger lineups (like the Bucks, Pelicans, etc) do we slide Tatum to the 3 and go with Horford at the 4, with either Timelord or TT at the 5.

This has been debated and there is a wide variance in opinion.  In my opinion, I feel you are asking the wrong question.  Tatum is a wing or SF, that is his natural position.  He is not a PF or big and cannot play the role of a big.  The question is how far can the Celtics go if their principal core line up is built around playing with only 1 big, 3 wings, and a PG.  I know this may be nit picking but just because a team decides to play with only one big on the floor, it does not mean that one of the wings is a PF.

What I don't like about our current roster is that our only realistic or viable line up is to play with one big.  We are forced to play with one big because we don't have anyone on the entire roster who can play PF at a starter's level.  To me, that is the limitation.  It is one thing to go with a one big line up because you like the match up or whatever.  It is another thing when you are forced to because you don't have a PF.

Our 1 big line up will be a really good line up but there will be times when it is not the right line up.  Teams will throw big line ups at us and try to wear down Tatum (if he is covering the PF) and try to get fouls.  As it stands, it will be our weakness.  Teams will exploit it.  We will become too reliant on the 3.  Some nights that will work out, other nights not so much.  Even a decent swing (Marcus Morris or Jae Crowder type) would help a lot.

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 03:42:29 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
In today's NBA, of course.

He's bigger than either of the forwards that started for Phoenix.

There was a pic of him standing next to Bam Adebayo on team USA and Tatum was basically the same size. He's always been tall but now he's filled out as well.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 03:55:30 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
The only time Tatum hasn't played the 4 is when they went with the two big line up everyone loved so much. 

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 05:36:50 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Tatum is 6’9” with a 7’ wingspan. He should continue to put on muscle and has the frame to do so. Broad shoulders and strong legs. JT can play the 2,3, and 4 spot.  If you look at teams throughout the league, 90% don’t have a traditional PF. For example:

Teams starting PF:
Nets: KD
Raptors: Siakam
Knicks: Randle
76ers: Harris
Bucks: Giannis
Bulls: Thad Young
Pistons: Jerami Grant
Hornets: Bridges
Heat: Bam
Wizards: Hachimura

Feel like Tatum can match up with any of those guys, other than Giannis(no one can).

Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 05:55:10 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
No

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2021, 06:25:38 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
That's where he's mostly played so far
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2021, 06:44:48 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
I think he can and has. You can probably play him at multiple positions.

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2021, 09:15:26 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
He is totally fine at the 4 but I still would prefer I bigger wing capable of playing small ball 5 in the starting lineup. Tatum and Brown as the starting 2 and 3 are a major size advantage in today’s NBA. Couple that with Smart at PG and the Cs are really big 1-3, adding a 6’8+ 225+ wing with length to those 3 gives the Cs the potential to be a special defensive until.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2021, 09:22:46 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Yeah, I'm a bit confused by the question.  Of course he can; it's where he's been playing, and at a very high level.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2021, 09:27:53 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Yeah, I'm a bit confused by the question.  Of course he can; it's where he's been playing, and at a very high level.
I'm fairly sure that's where he lined up in his debut game against Cleveland, between Al and Hayward. Always been slated as a 4, and is an All-NBA calibre one at that

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2021, 09:41:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I'm fairly sure that's where he lined up in his debut game against Cleveland, between Al and Hayward. Always been slated as a 4, and is an All-NBA calibre one at that
Agree with you gentlemen. He's played a ton of his career at the 4.

When he is done growing he'll probably play at 6'8--6'10" and when the man muscle fills him out he'll probably play at lot of years at 220-225.

That is prototypical PF size. And yet, he is the definition of the new big wing position that PF has transformed into. He will be the PF and Brown of SF going forward and Brown will always take on the tougher opponent defensively, freeing up Tatum to save energy to be that #1 guy on the other end....as a stretch, point power forward big wing.

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2021, 09:44:38 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

When he is done growing he'll probably play at 6'8--6'10" and when the man muscle fills him out he'll probably play at lot of years at 220-225.

That is prototypical PF size. And yet, he is the definition of the new big wing position that PF has transformed into. He will be the PF and Brown of SF going forward and Brown will always take on the tougher opponent defensively, freeing up Tatum to save energy to be that #1 guy on the other end....as a stretch, point power forward big wing.
SPPFBW doesn't quite have the same ring as PF,  but I like it ;D

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2021, 10:06:20 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

SPPFBW doesn't quite have the same ring as PF,  but I like it ;D
🤣TP ..well played.

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2021, 10:12:14 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Only when they Cs go small. Don’t think he can cope with the rigors or guarding bigger/stronger guys and continue shouldering the offensive burden.

When Hayward was here, he strictly played wing. Hayward always got the assignment for guarding the bigger guys. Last year, they never were able to replace Hayward so they started playing two big lineups with TT or G Williams to help preserve Tatum.

Getting a legit swing should be priority #1 this offseason.