Author Topic: NBA trade rumors/FA signings 2021  (Read 180054 times)

Re: NBA trade rumors/FA signings 2021
« Reply #960 on: August 05, 2021, 10:37:44 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
Sixers re-sign Danny Green (2yr/20M).
Seems expensive
Definitely.  My sense is he's worth the vet min that everyone else is getting -- $2.7M.

Disagree. I feel he is well worth $10mil per year. Even with lesser powers, he is still a highly valuable glue guy.

He's definitely  no longer a 10m per year glue guy

« Reply #961 on: August 05, 2021, 10:44:34 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

The way I look at this is would you rather have Danny Green for $10M per for 2 years or Josh Richardson for 1 year at $11.6M?
Seems expensive
Definitely.  My sense is he's worth the vet min that everyone else is getting -- $2.7M.

Disagree. I feel he is well worth $10mil per year. Even with lesser powers, he is still a highly valuable glue guy.

The way I look at it is would you rather have Green at $10M for 2 years or Josh Richardson for $11.6M for 1 year?  I think we got a much better value and more flexibility.  I don't feel in any way that we missed out on anything by not getting Danny Green.

« Reply #962 on: August 05, 2021, 10:51:57 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

The way I look at this is would you rather have Danny Green for $10M per for 2 years or Josh Richardson for 1 year at $11.6M?
Seems expensive

The way I look at it is would you rather have Green at $10M for 2 years or Josh Richardson for $11.6M for 1 year?  I think we got a much better value and more flexibility.  I don't feel in any way that we missed out on anything by not getting Danny Green.
Green is getting more than Kemba, just sayin"

« Reply #963 on: August 05, 2021, 10:59:24 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
One player that is still out there and whose options are narrowing by the day is Lauri Markkanen (Suomelinen iso meis).  The reports were that SAS wanted him in the sign and trade for DeMar DeRozan but he asked for too big of a contract.  Right now, he has a qualifying offer of $9M which he could take and become a UFA in a year.

I am not sure that Chicago plans to match even a modest offer.  They have spent a ton of money this off season (Ball, DeRozan, Caruso) although they do need a PF after trading Young and Aminu.

The Celtics could send out Thompson and Grant Williams ($12.3) and I believe offer 1.25X this amount ($15M).  Not sure he would take this but should the Celtics be interested?  This would be 3 years but he could be traded in a S&T if the Celtics go after a big FA next season.

Markkanen has put up some decent production over his young career.  40% from 3 last season.  He may be better than Porzingis at this point but his ceiling is certainly in the Porzingis range.

« Reply #964 on: August 05, 2021, 11:04:31 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
One player that is still out there and whose options are narrowing by the day is Lauri Markkanen (Suomelinen iso meis).  The reports were that SAS wanted him in the sign and trade for DeMar DeRozan but he asked for too big of a contract.  Right now, he has a qualifying offer of $9M which he could take and become a UFA in a year.

I am not sure that Chicago plans to match even a modest offer.  They have spent a ton of money this off season (Ball, DeRozan, Caruso) although they do need a PF after trading Young and Aminu.

The Celtics could send out Thompson and Grant Williams ($12.3) and I believe offer 1.25X this amount ($15M).  Not sure he would take this but should the Celtics be interested?  This would be 3 years but he could be traded in a S&T if the Celtics go after a big FA next season.

Markkanen has put up some decent production over his young career.  40% from 3 last season.  He may be better than Porzingis at this point but his ceiling is certainly in the Porzingis range.

If he is at all in the Celtics’ future, it will be as a player to target next summer with cap space in case the Bradley Beal plan falls through.  We’re not signing him this year — he’s going to take his QO.

« Reply #965 on: August 05, 2021, 11:04:41 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

If the Celtics goal is to not go into the tax which I think this would do then I don’t think we would do this, unless if Richardson is possibly redirected somewhere else.

« Reply #966 on: August 05, 2021, 11:07:02 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

If he is at all in the Celtics’ future, it will be as a player to target next summer with cap space in case the Bradley Beal plan falls through.  We’re not signing him this year — he’s going to take his QO.

The best of both worlds would be trading for him after he takes the QO.  We'd have him on a one-year contract, but could maintain flexibility.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #967 on: August 05, 2021, 11:10:19 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

The best of both worlds would be trading for him after he takes the QO.  We'd have him on a one-year contract, but could maintain flexibility.

Yes, but he’d lose his Bird rights in that situation and could thus veto a trade, so that’s not terribly likely, but I’d be happy to use the Tristan Thompson TPE on that at the deadline if Markkanen agreed to it.

« Reply #968 on: August 05, 2021, 11:25:40 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Sources: Kemba Walker to join New York Knicks after guard, Oklahoma City Thunder agree to buyout

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31956879/kemba-walker-join-new-york-knicks-sources-say-guard-oklahoma-city-thunder-agree-buyout

why cant the celtics get players like this???????  what is wrong with PBS???
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #969 on: August 05, 2021, 11:29:57 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

If the Celtics goal is to not go into the tax which I think this would do then I don’t think we would do this, unless if Richardson is possibly redirected somewhere else.

If we send out Thompson and Grant Williams, for example, it is possible to sign Markkanen without impacting the tax.  He would have to agree to that number of course.  In the future, he could be sent out in a S&T for example in a deal to get Beal.  So long as the contract is at an appropriate value, he shouldn't be dead weight.  Having clear cap space is of course the most flexible but Markkanen on a fair contract should not be an obstacle.

I agree that this seems to be trending towards him taking the QO and then becoming a UFA but my question is should the Celtics be trying to get him.  It is easy why not or why it would be hard.  For example, is he better than trying to get Bagley from SAC (who is on a 1 year deal).  I feel Markkanen could be a great big to pair with Brown and Tatum even with modest development/improvement over what he has done so far.

« Reply #970 on: August 05, 2021, 11:36:21 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

If we send out Thompson and Grant Williams, for example, it is possible to sign Markkanen without impacting the tax.  He would have to agree to that number of course.  In the future, he could be sent out in a S&T for example in a deal to get Beal.  So long as the contract is at an appropriate value, he shouldn't be dead weight.  Having clear cap space is of course the most flexible but Markkanen on a fair contract should not be an obstacle.

I agree that this seems to be trending towards him taking the QO and then becoming a UFA but my question is should the Celtics be trying to get him.  It is easy why not or why it would be hard.  For example, is he better than trying to get Bagley from SAC (who is on a 1 year deal).  I feel Markkanen could be a great big to pair with Brown and Tatum even with modest development/improvement over what he has done so far.

Markanen is a nice player, but he's not the type of player who will change our championship chances much.  If we were going to keep a "very good but not great" player, it should have been Fournier.

The only way we should trade for Markanen is on a one year QO.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #971 on: August 05, 2021, 11:52:38 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468

Markkanen is a nice player, but he's not the type of player who will change our championship chances much.  If we were going to keep a "very good but not great" player, it should have been Fournier.

The only way we should trade for Markkanen is on a one year QO.

I may be in the minority but I'd much rather have a Markkanen then Fournier.  5 years younger.  Can play PF and shift Tatum to SF and Brown to SG.  Shot 40% from 3pt last year.  Has the same career 3pt shooting that Evan does.  Please better D then Evan and can rebound.  I've always liked Markkanen's game.  He'd also be cheaper then Evan unless he played out this year vs signing a new contract and blew up.  I know the C's won't get him but he'd be a great complementary player for the J's.  Add more shooting at the big spots with him and Al and moving Richardson to a bench role where he'd be much better at because he could have the ball in his hands more and that is where Richardson is effective.

PG - Smart
SG - Brown
SF - Tatum
PF - Lauri Markkanen
C - Al

PG - PPP
SG - Richardson, Nesmith/Romeo
SF - Nesmith/Romeo
PF - Parker/Williams - Need to upgrade here but Lauri/Al/Rob could soak up the majority of the PF/C minutes  leaving about 10 - 15 mpg for these two
C - Rob

« Reply #972 on: August 05, 2021, 11:57:38 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Chicago is in a similar place to us, with some volume scorers, and my guess is they will choose to move forward starting Patrick Williams and will get what they can for Markkanen. Williams is the type of player that would probably be best for us too.  Its not a great spot to leave a hole in the team's defense.

« Reply #973 on: August 05, 2021, 12:56:25 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Is anyone picking up Isaiah Hartenstein on some short money?

« Reply #974 on: August 05, 2021, 12:59:41 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Danny Greene back to the 76ers on two year deal