Author Topic: Celtics targeting Lowry?  (Read 6172 times)

Re: Celtics targeting Lowry?
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2021, 09:43:16 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
don't sign and trades need to be for at least 3 years?
Darn, had totally forgotten that S&T rule. I guess guarantees could make it look different
Roy pointed out that only the 1st year needs to be guaranteed though.  So I think it could be workable.  I think Smart going out makes a lot of sense (just from roster construction this year and in the future). 

Smart, Thompson, 23 lotto protected 1st for Lowry

Seems like a fair trade for a sign and trade

Post-Trade

PG - Lowry, Pritchard, Edwards
SG - Fournier, Langford, FA/2nd
SF - Brown, Nesmith, Semi
PF - Tatum, Parker, G. Williams
C - Horford, R. Williams, Brown

That seems like a fringe type contender if Tatum can make a jump into the top 10 type discussion and Lowry still has anything left.

That's a nice starting lineup with a noticeable improvement in overall IQ. I just wonder how many quality minutes remain in Horford and Lowry?

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2021, 09:49:48 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Darn, had totally forgotten that S&T rule. I guess guarantees could make it look different
Roy pointed out that only the 1st year needs to be guaranteed though.  So I think it could be workable.  I think Smart going out makes a lot of sense (just from roster construction this year and in the future). 

Post-Trade

That seems like a fringe type contender if Tatum can make a jump into the top 10 type discussion and Lowry still has anything left.

That's a nice starting lineup with a noticeable improvement in overall IQ. I just wonder how many quality minutes remain in Horford and Lowry?

I think that is the point regarding Horford and Lowry.  Their timeline might be fine for say the Lakers who are looking at a 2 year window but not the Celtics.  I have no concern on trading Thompson but Smart and a first for Lowry (and be hard capped)?  Doesn't make sense to me.

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2021, 10:25:27 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547

Post-Trade

I think that is the point regarding Horford and Lowry.  Their timeline might be fine for say the Lakers who are looking at a 2 year window but not the Celtics.  I have no concern on trading Thompson but Smart and a first for Lowry (and be hard capped)?  Doesn't make sense to me.
I don't think Smart or Thompson are going to be around for the prime of Tatum and Brown, so moving them for a short term improvement makes a whole lot of sense to me.  If Lowry signs for something like 3 years 75 million with a team option for the last year, that seems like a good short term investment and improves Boston over the next 2 years.  2 years from now, Horford and Lowry come off the books and Boston still has Tatum and Brown locked up with hopefully room for a max free agent (or at least close enough that you can acquire one) right when they are going to be at their peak selves. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2021, 01:30:32 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623

Post-Trade

I don't think Smart or Thompson are going to be around for the prime of Tatum and Brown, so moving them for a short term improvement makes a whole lot of sense to me.  If Lowry signs for something like 3 years 75 million with a team option for the last year, that seems like a good short term investment and improves Boston over the next 2 years.  2 years from now, Horford and Lowry come off the books and Boston still has Tatum and Brown locked up with hopefully room for a max free agent (or at least close enough that you can acquire one) right when they are going to be at their peak selves.

EXACTLY THIS!! Give a good 2 year run...and clean out expensive guys and try to sign a third max star in a few years. It is much better than kicking the can the next few years and saying oh we will give it our best shot but know we wont win so for now lets just penny pinch knowing we wont make the finals..I would much rather take a couple of cracks now..It might even be required by the Jays.
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2021, 02:11:50 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2021, 02:44:55 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I wrote in a thread a little while ago that Lowry would be an ideal signing if he decided he didn't care about money and just wanted to go contribute to something. But his deciding he didn't care about making big money anymore seems like the only way the Celtics get him.

The idea of trading Smart, a potential DPOY candidate, for a 35 year old pg seems like a terrible idea.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2021, 03:04:05 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
I wrote in a thread a little while ago that Lowry would be an ideal signing if he decided he didn't care about money and just wanted to go contribute to something. But his deciding he didn't care about making big money anymore seems like the only way the Celtics get him.

The idea of trading Smart, a potential DPOY candidate, for a 35 year old pg seems like a terrible idea.
Lowry is obviously older and there is a concern of him breaking down, but last year he averaged 17.2 p, 7.3 a, and 5.4 r shooting 48.7% from 2, 39.6% from 3, and 87.5% from the line.  Now it was only 48 games, but he doesn't appear to have a long term effects type injury and should be healthy to start the year. 

I believe he will be a better fit and more impactful player over the next 2 seasons than Smart and it isn't like Smart is a picture of health (they both played 48 games last year).  A short term improvement with very little long term cost is exactly what Boston should be looking at doing.  It shows not just the fans, but also Tatum and Brown, that the team is willing to spend and improve the team.  That will make it far more likely for those 2 to want to stay long term.   
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2021, 03:39:31 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

Lowry is obviously older and there is a concern of him breaking down, but last year he averaged 17.2 p, 7.3 a, and 5.4 r shooting 48.7% from 2, 39.6% from 3, and 87.5% from the line.  Now it was only 48 games, but he doesn't appear to have a long term effects type injury and should be healthy to start the year. 

I believe he will be a better fit and more impactful player over the next 2 seasons than Smart and it isn't like Smart is a picture of health (they both played 48 games last year).  A short term improvement with very little long term cost is exactly what Boston should be looking at doing.  It shows not just the fans, but also Tatum and Brown, that the team is willing to spend and improve the team.  That will make it far more likely for those 2 to want to stay long term.
I'm not going to pretend to know the future, and we did just witness Chris Paul at 35 have a terrific season but can't imagine Lowry is going to maintain those numbers from last season. I think it's a lot more likely he takes a step back this coming season.

As for Smart, I'm very interested to see what a new coach does for him because Smart could be poised for a DPOY season. Trading that for 1-2 years of an over-the-hill Lowry is not something I'm interested in.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2021, 04:06:47 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

I'm not going to pretend to know the future, and we did just witness Chris Paul at 35 have a terrific season but can't imagine Lowry is going to maintain those numbers from last season. I think it's a lot more likely he takes a step back this coming season.

As for Smart, I'm very interested to see what a new coach does for him because Smart could be poised for a DPOY season. Trading that for 1-2 years of an over-the-hill Lowry is not something I'm interested in.

I really hope you are right, because that would be a huge boost to the team, but if Smart does stay, I expect him to have a really tough year on defense. He's never really been able to stay in front of better point guards, and there seem to be a couple more every year. He's so much tougher on bigger players, but the team needs and personnel are all pushing him towards having to cover starting point guards much more than he ever has before.