Author Topic: 2-way players.  (Read 4672 times)

2-way players.
« on: July 18, 2021, 02:15:26 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
We need to have a couple of 2-way players that can actually play. If coach Udoka has no faith in playing Tacko they shouldn't bring him back. I wouldn't bring Waters back. I'd sign Marcus Garrett, Javonte Smart, or Mitch Ballock. Others may fall out of the second round that could be helpful players during the regular season.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-nba-keep-most-relaxed-140051368.html

Re: 2-way players.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 03:59:41 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
We need to have a couple of 2-way players that can actually play. If coach Udoka has no faith in playing Tacko they shouldn't bring him back. I wouldn't bring Waters back. I'd sign Marcus Garrett, Javonte Smart, or Mitch Ballock. Others may fall out of the second round that could be helpful players during the regular season.

Completely agree. Waters, Tacko, and Edwards are a waste of roster spots. There are plenty of late 2nd round picks and undrafted players in the NBA contributing to their teams in a meaningful ways. Some are even starters. These guys just have no upside. I don’t think Grant has much upside either, just too short and un-athletic .
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 04:15:18 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Completely agree. Waters, Tacko, and Edwards are a waste of roster spots. There are plenty of late 2nd round picks and undrafted players in the NBA contributing to their teams in a meaningful ways. Some are even starters. These guys just have no upside. I don’t think Grant has much upside either, just too short and un-athletic .

I like Tacko and think he could be something on a young team where he could get some playing time but he does us no good if you aren't going to play him now or in the future. I would love a 3pt shooter and a point guard defender in those 2-way spots.

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 06:01:33 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Technically Waters and Tacko don't take up roster spots, this would be the final year they could be signed to two-way contracts nonetheless... if we choose them as our candidates.

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2021, 06:10:21 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Technically Waters and Tacko don't take up roster spots, this would be the final year they could be signed to two-way contracts nonetheless... if we choose them as our candidates.

Those two spots can be taken by guys that can play if needed.

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2021, 07:16:41 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Those two spots can be taken by guys that can play if needed.

The pool of players that can fit there and accept that type of contract (and that can actually play) is quite slim. It's not worth putting too much thought into it.

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2021, 08:47:28 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
This might qualify as an easier said then done statement but I feel that 2-way contracts should be given to players who are generally average physical projections of NBA players. What I mean by this is players who are at least average sized for their position with at least average positional athletic ability. Waters and Tacko where both outside the parameters  of the average physical profile for their positions and made them difficult plug and play options. Players like Pons, Garrett, Lawson, Lewis, or Duke all at least fit the profile of nba role players.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2021, 11:11:16 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
I'm actually willing to continue to see Tacko develop. I think Waters (my early binky to become Mugsy 2.0) has reached his ceiling though...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2021, 11:13:53 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Waters has actually shown a pretty nice shooting touch.  39.5% from 3 on 1.5 attempts a game.  94.1% from the line.  He seems like the exact type of player you'd want on a 2-way contract i.e. situationally he has a high value because he has an elite skill.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2021, 08:09:33 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Hope Tacko stays cause I think he could be a 3rd string center..just keep developing him
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2021, 08:19:47 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Gimme Nico Mannion. Played 30 games for the Warriors this season while on a 2-way contract. Wouldn't be against making him our 3rd string PG either. The C's run a PnR-heavy offense. Mannion is a heady PnR ball handler. If you have the right players, PnR is quite possibly the most unstoppable move in basketball.

Fwiw, Mannion will be the starting PG of the italian national team in the upcoming Olympics. He led Italy in both scoring and assists in the Final of the Olympic qualifying tournament against Serbia.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 09:09:18 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2021, 08:53:22 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Waters has actually shown a pretty nice shooting touch.  39.5% from 3 on 1.5 attempts a game.  94.1% from the line.  He seems like the exact type of player you'd want on a 2-way contract i.e. situationally he has a high value because he has an elite skill.

Given our current situation at point guard, I'm not so certain he wouldn't be better than Smart as a starter. It would be worth a try early in the year to see. He's can shoot and can beat guys off the dribble, but more importantly, he provides better pace and movement. He's also somehow able to be a plus defender out there, which is pretty amazing.

He may never be able to get over the top and be a real starter or even a rotation player, but we don't have a great solution in Smart. I'd want to try out both Pritchard and Waters before giving up anyone.

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2021, 09:56:31 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435

Given our current situation at point guard, I'm not so certain he wouldn't be better than Smart as a starter. It would be worth a try early in the year to see. He's can shoot and can beat guys off the dribble, but more importantly, he provides better pace and movement. He's also somehow able to be a plus defender out there, which is pretty amazing.

He may never be able to get over the top and be a real starter or even a rotation player, but we don't have a great solution in Smart. I'd want to try out both Pritchard and Waters before giving up anyone.

Waters started several games this season and he did not look very good. I think Smart will be a good fit as the starting PG now that Kemba is gone. Would  at least give him until the trade deadline to see how he does with a new role and coach. The only consistent problem that I had with Smart was his 3pt shooting. If he can limit his total  shot attempts to 6-8 per game and focus on passing, I feel like he will be solid.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2021, 10:19:02 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Waters started several games this season and he did not look very good. I think Smart will be a good fit as the starting PG now that Kemba is gone. Would  at least give him until the trade deadline to see how he does with a new role and coach. The only consistent problem that I had with Smart was his 3pt shooting. If he can limit his total  shot attempts to 6-8 per game and focus on passing, I feel like he will be solid.

Waters played 20 minutes or more only 6 times last year, topping out at 25 only once. He had a couple of quality games, and a couple of shaky ones. He had 31 assists in those 6 games.

That is what should be expected of any player who doesn't get any kind of reliable minutes. You only can reliably judge a player when they get consistent minutes over at least 10 games.

As for Smart, I could live with his shooting. To me his biggest flaws are that he slows the pace down, he pounds the rock, and he doesn't make good offensive decisions under pressure.

This team needs to play faster and pass more. Smart is part of that problem.

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2021, 10:19:48 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Smart can't shoot only 6 to 8 times a game or he would have done so already. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip