Author Topic: Why Didn’t The Celts Take Covid More Seriously?  (Read 7190 times)

Re: Why Didn’t The Celts Take Covid More Seriously?
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2021, 04:14:11 PM »

Online angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 592
Most of players who aren’t vaxd have had it so no need. 

OP mentioned risking their life- come on!  They had a better chance of dying driving to stadium than COVID. Talk about fear mongering.    We know the stats- 20-30 years don’t die from COVID.

Tatum’s lungs were permanently affected.  Fournier’s vision was messed up weeks.  And, roughly 3000 people below age 29 died in the US.
absolute stupidity.  over 600,000 dead in the US.  that's one out of every 550 Americans.  trust me, if that percentage of people going to an NBA game died driving to the stadium -- every stadium-every game, there'd be an uproar.

out of the 600k there were many that died with rather than from covid.

Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2021, 04:49:43 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

OP mentioned risking their life- come on!  They had a better chance of dying driving to stadium than COVID. Talk about fear mongering.    We know the stats- 20-30 years don’t die from COVID.

Tatum’s lungs were permanently affected.  Fournier’s vision was messed up weeks.  And, roughly 3000 people below age 29 died in the US.
absolute stupidity.  over 600,000 dead in the US.  that's one out of every 550 Americans.  trust me, if that percentage of people going to an NBA game died driving to the stadium -- every stadium-every game, there'd be an uproar.

out of the 600k there were many that died with rather than from covid.

we might have a better estimate in 20-40 years when people aren't as emotionally invested in given datasets.

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2021, 04:58:36 PM »

Offline SDceltGuy

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49

Read the statistics.  20-30 years in prime health - DO NOT die from covid.  Statistically insignificant.  It is absolutely stupid to continue the nonsense that young healthy people are in mortal danger of this virus.  Some people might have some lingering affects at worst but 90%will have almost nothing but cold symptoms if anything. 

Even looking at total deaths across all ages -  1 out of 550 is 0.2% and is 10x less then they were wildly predicting at the start.  So this wasnt nearly as bad as they hyped and not worth the collateral damage to people lives caused by needless lock-downs and other security theater.  Faucci in the end has been proven a fraud and liar and if he had any decency would be embarrassed to ever show his face in public again. 

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2021, 05:14:07 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I still wonder why the United States seemed to ignore COVID for a long time , act like it was just a normal flu,   this national ignorance concerns me more … still to this day I still hear things like it was not real or was a twisted political scheme.

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2021, 07:01:08 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
Because of "needless lockdowns", masks and other "security theatre" about 450 people died of the flu this year, instead of the usual average of 36,000. I wonder what the Covid death toll would be without the counter measures?

It may be fair to look at the lack of death and long term damage done to a select age group but isn't it also fair to expect that age group to do their part in protecting those more vulnerable?

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2021, 07:59:12 PM »

Kiorrik

I still wonder why the United States seemed to ignore COVID for a long time , act like it was just a normal flu,   this national ignorance concerns me more … still to this day I still hear things like it was not real or was a twisted political scheme.

It's clearly because their main binky was a tv personality rather than someone who's made a career being good at governing people.

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2021, 08:24:46 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

It's clearly because their main binky was a tv personality rather than someone who's made a career being good at governing people.

In fairness, almost none of our politicians are good at governing people, at least to the extent that implies doing what is in the best interest of people.  That is especially true of the politicians who have truly made a career out of it.

But, America may be looking at its worst back to back presidents, obviously for different reasons.

All that said, I seriously doubt that any of our players were brainwashed by the orange man.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2021, 08:28:00 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Being young is no excuse, there are plenty of young teams around the NBA. The Celtics were clearly a mess on and off the court this season and Stevens obviously had no control. I wish they had just cleaned house, but Wyc obviously is unwilling to eat Stevens' contract and also needs to save face by pretending Stevens is still the genius they believed him to be.

Half measures...

What? How is this Stevens' fault?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 08:33:15 PM by Rondo9 »

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2021, 08:44:43 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
Over on CelticsBlog, towards the end of the season, I stated that there must have been some amount of irresponsibility going on with the team, since Boston far and away led the league in covid-related missed games, and I was vilified by several people for "pointing fingers" and "playing the blame game" when it was really "just bad luck for Boston."

I still maintain that there was a good deal of irresponsibility going on, and I think the numbers bear this out:

• Boston lost 157 player-days due to covid-19
• The "second-place" team in this category was the Dallas Mavericks with 118, which is high but still a good ways behind Boston.
• The league average was 55.3, so Boston's total was nearly 200% greater than the league average.

And that's all, or even mostly, "just bad luck"? No, I don't think so.

That's not counting the amount of injuries they got as well, sometimes it is just bad luck and just because people disagree with you doesn't mean that you're being "vilified.

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2021, 08:51:48 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

In fairness, almost none of our politicians are good at governing people, at least to the extent that implies doing what is in the best interest of people.  That is especially true of the politicians who have truly made a career out of it.

But, America may be looking at its worst back to back presidents, obviously for different reasons.

All that said, I seriously doubt that any of our players were brainwashed by the orange man.

Even then, we had the WHO lying, we had China lying, the media and opponents second guessing some of the early efforts to prevent it by calling the moves xenophobic and racist... we have Faucci being incredibly inconsistent, numerous experts second guessing, hospitals, labs, etc. playing with numbers (because they were incentivized $$$).

So for all the Trump misses, the issue became too politicized and that hurt a lot. In the end, it's a shame that when needed, we couldn't come together.

Then you see all the protests and what not (whether you supported them or not) and the media completely mute about social distancing and virus risks, so there were some double standards as well.

And sure, then you have the fight about people about the freedoms as afforded by the Constitution who felt their rights were being wronged. Businesses decimated at the whims of politicians, etc.

In all, it sucked all around particularly with a virus in which even up to now experts have trouble agreeing on what exactly it is, etc.

I mean, when you have Cuomo as the media darling of the Covid response, you know something is rotten. So you have distrust in the media, distrust from experts, we have distrust from politicians, fanatics, etc., etc. I'm surprised this wasn't worse in the US.

And I didn't mean this to seem like a pro-Trump post, far from it, but the needless antagonization didn't help at times. It was also an election year, so the conspiracies were all around. It was a perfect storm for distrust.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 09:01:17 PM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2021, 08:55:06 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
It's actually sad that any one who questions the narrative is called a conspiracy theorist or a "Pro Trump guy" it's pretty much why America struggled handling COVID because it's politically charged with people busy demonizing each other like cultists. It doesn't help that the main people who were considered model people who handled COVID properly were dubious people who may or may not fudged their COVID numbers.

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2021, 08:55:20 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Read the statistics.  20-30 years in prime health - DO NOT die from covid.  Statistically insignificant.  It is absolutely stupid to continue the nonsense that young healthy people are in mortal danger of this virus.  Some people might have some lingering affects at worst but 90%will have almost nothing but cold symptoms if anything. 

Even looking at total deaths across all ages -  1 out of 550 is 0.2% and is 10x less then they were wildly predicting at the start.  So this wasnt nearly as bad as they hyped and not worth the collateral damage to people lives caused by needless lock-downs and other security theater.  Faucci in the end has been proven a fraud and liar and if he had any decency would be embarrassed to ever show his face in public again.
Care to provide any citation whatsoever for your '90%' claim?

The death rate might not be as bad, but the infection rate, particularly of the newer variants, is even worse than they predicted. But apparently you don't give a toss if people aren't mass dying in the streets
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2021, 12:36:15 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
For perspective:

Cora is proud of how the Red Sox -- who have had zero positive COVID-19 tests since spring training -- have handled MLB protocols.

“I’ve been concerned since Day 1,” Cora said. “As long as we keep doing the things we’re supposed to do... our medical department has been outstanding, I think the players have cooperated and done an amazing job. That’s what we can control. So far, so good.”

Different timeline, but it’s also probably got something to do with organizational philosophy.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2021, 01:04:50 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I don't know that organizational philosophy / influence matters.

It is a very individualistic thing in terms of how you view COVID, vaccines, risks to your life & well-being and consequent safety protocols.

You can present them with information and/or options but two people can come away with vastly different takeaways from that information.

And in basketball, where they teams are so small in terms of numbers of players, the results can vary widely on outcomes depending on those individual players relative to teams / organizations who preach the exact same message.

I wouldn't put any of it on the Celtics organization without knowing specifics of what they did or did not do relative to others and I am far more inclined to believe it had far more to do with the individuals on the team and their views on COVID and the risks it presented (and relative to quality of life / freedom to enjoy their youth, riches and fame).

I know myself if I were in their shoes, I would not pay much attention to what my bosses were saying. They are a non-factor. Well they are a factor while I am at work but a non-factor outside of work. All they can do is present me with information but ultimately it is not their decision, it is mine.

So I would look at the individual players. Not the team.

« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2021, 01:20:08 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I don't know that organizational philosophy / influence matters.

It is a very individualistic thing in terms of how you view COVID, vaccines, risks to your life & well-being and consequent safety protocols.

You can present them with information and/or options but two people can come away with vastly different takeaways from that information.

And in basketball, where they teams are so small in terms of numbers of players, the results can vary widely on outcomes depending on those individual players relative to teams / organizations who preach the exact same message.

I wouldn't put any of it on the Celtics organization without knowing specifics of what they did or did not do relative to others and I am far more inclined to believe it had far more to do with the individuals on the team and their views on COVID and the risks it presented (and relative to quality of life / freedom to enjoy their youth, riches and fame).

I know myself if I were in their shoes, I would not pay much attention to what my bosses were saying. They are a non-factor. Well they are a factor while I am at work but a non-factor outside of work. All they can do is present me with information but ultimately it is not their decision, it is mine.

So I would look at the individual players. Not the team.

Perhaps, but if it were truly based solely on individuals, I would suspect a team like the Red Sox — with 38 players so far this year — to have been affected to some degree.  In the same city, we’ve got the team hit hardest by Covid (Celtics) and the team hit leadt hardest (Red Sox). 

And, from earlier reports, it’s not just the Celtics players but rather employees organization wide who haven’t gotten vaccinated.