Author Topic: Why Didn’t The Celts Take Covid More Seriously?  (Read 7189 times)

Why Didn’t The Celts Take Covid More Seriously?
« on: June 26, 2021, 04:15:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The Celtics led the NBA in one category this season: Games lost by players due to to Covid-19 precautions and infections. And teams around the league seemingly noticed. During a recent segment on NBC Sports Boston (captured by OMF), longtime NBA reporter Chris Mannix revealed the Washington Wizards went as far as to complain to the league office about the behavior of some Celtics players. Washington endured one of the worst Covid-19 outbreaks all season, with seven players testing positive for the virus over a four-day period in mid-January. The Wizards played the Celtics Jan. 8, and apparently blamed them. – via Audacy

“The Celtics were among the teams that I know of that didn’t take Covid seriously,” Mannix said. “They continued to go out on the road, and would find ways to skirt the rules at times when they were traveling. They didn’t take these protocols seriously — not as seriously as some other teams did. Washington, when they had all of their Covid issues back in January and early February, they blamed Boston. They complained to the league that the Celtics, because of what they had heard about players going out in Florida I believe it was, they believed they contracted their issues through the Celtics.” – via Audacy

“Most of the league knew what was going on with the Celtics, and how they weren’t really taking these Covid protocols seriously,” Mannix said. – via Audacy

I also remember seeing that the Celtics were among the worst teams in terms of percentage of players who were vaccinated.

Why risk your career / life with this?  Why didn’t management more tightly enforce protocols?

Smart, Tatum, Fournier, and Thompson all got the virus.  Tatum still has side effects.  These guys are millionaires with access to the best doctors in the world.  Why be so reckless?  And again, why weren’t they confined to their hotels?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Why Didn’t The Celts Take Covid More Seriously?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2021, 04:45:36 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
It’s on Danny. Undoubtedly his tone at the top led to this disaster. This never would have happened with analytically/scientifically-minded Brad Stevens as GM. Another reason why Danny is gone and Brad is leading everything now.

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 04:47:59 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
It’s on Danny. Undoubtedly his tone at the top led to this disaster. This never would have happened with analytically/scientifically-minded Brad Stevens as GM. Another reason why Danny is gone and Brad is leading everything now.

This!!

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2021, 05:03:44 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

I think this is more on the players more than Danny assuming this is true.

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2021, 05:05:29 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

I think this is more on the players more than Danny assuming this is true.

I think so too.  Is there a lot of verified stuff out there saying Danny wasn't taking it seriously?  What is any of this based on?

DA doesn't tuck the players in at night.

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2021, 05:13:29 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Probably because they are a bunch of 20-something year olds who thought that they were low risk of being seriously affected by the virus and they wanted to go out like 20-something year olds do.  ???
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2021, 05:36:04 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I really don't think Brad as GM would mean they would take it more seriously or get vaccinated. I mean he was the coach and I have never seen him angry at a player. So whatever "they" want is "fine" with him. Maybe the new coach will have a stronger will.

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2021, 06:13:04 PM »

Online CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 872
  • GOT IT!!!
Just a very young team that lacked leadership from the top down. Went into the season with no sense of urgency and never changed.

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2021, 07:01:26 PM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
If the reports are true (that they were lax about following protocols), it is very disappointing.

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2021, 07:13:03 PM »

Offline drooldaddy

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
The young think they are immortal . Management needed to strongly encourage them to get vaccinated.
But honestly how different were they from a lot of people. P

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2021, 07:14:56 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
The Celtics led the NBA in one category this season: Games lost by players due to to Covid-19 precautions and infections. And teams around the league seemingly noticed. During a recent segment on NBC Sports Boston (captured by OMF), longtime NBA reporter Chris Mannix revealed the Washington Wizards went as far as to complain to the league office about the behavior of some Celtics players. Washington endured one of the worst Covid-19 outbreaks all season, with seven players testing positive for the virus over a four-day period in mid-January. The Wizards played the Celtics Jan. 8, and apparently blamed them. – via Audacy

“The Celtics were among the teams that I know of that didn’t take Covid seriously,” Mannix said. “They continued to go out on the road, and would find ways to skirt the rules at times when they were traveling. They didn’t take these protocols seriously — not as seriously as some other teams did. Washington, when they had all of their Covid issues back in January and early February, they blamed Boston. They complained to the league that the Celtics, because of what they had heard about players going out in Florida I believe it was, they believed they contracted their issues through the Celtics.” – via Audacy

“Most of the league knew what was going on with the Celtics, and how they weren’t really taking these Covid protocols seriously,” Mannix said. – via Audacy

I also remember seeing that the Celtics were among the worst teams in terms of percentage of players who were vaccinated.

Why risk your career / life with this?  Why didn’t management more tightly enforce protocols?

Smart, Tatum, Fournier, and Thompson all got the virus.  Tatum still has side effects.  These guys are millionaires with access to the best doctors in the world.  Why be so reckless?  And again, why weren’t they confined to their hotels?

Saw a report the other day of a similar nature, and it was very disappointing.

I don't have a problem with the vaccination issue, I think that's something that's quite personal. But I do have a problem with skirting other protocols and exposing yourself... that's idiotic and irresponsible.

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2021, 07:19:18 PM »

Offline SDceltGuy

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49
Most of players who aren’t vaxd have had it so no need. 

OP mentioned risking their life- come on!  They had a better chance of dying driving to stadium than COVID.  Talk about fear mongering.    We know the stats- 20-30 years don’t die from COVID.

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2021, 08:00:13 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

OP mentioned risking their life- come on!  They had a better chance of dying driving to stadium than COVID.  Talk about fear mongering.    We know the stats- 20-30 years don’t die from COVID.

Tatum’s lungs were permanently affected.  Fournier’s vision was messed up weeks.  And, roughly 3000 people below age 29 died in the US.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2021, 08:33:24 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Regardless of how each individual feels about the vaccine, it wasn't even an option for most of the season. That means that players should have been limiting their exposure both on the road and at home to 1) prevent themselves from getting the virus and being quarantined and 2) prevent possible exposure to teammates. We already had reports Thompson went out often and ignored the protocols, putting himself and the team at risk. Even if you don't believe in the dangers of the virus (long haul Covid patients would have a thing to say about that), it is still selfish to put your team's goals at risk just so you can go out.

Being young is no excuse, there are plenty of young teams around the NBA. The Celtics were clearly a mess on and off the court this season and Stevens obviously had no control. I wish they had just cleaned house, but Wyc obviously is unwilling to eat Stevens' contract and also needs to save face by pretending Stevens is still the genius they believed him to be.

Half measures...

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2021, 08:57:40 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

OP mentioned risking their life- come on!  They had a better chance of dying driving to stadium than COVID. Talk about fear mongering.    We know the stats- 20-30 years don’t die from COVID.

Tatum’s lungs were permanently affected.  Fournier’s vision was messed up weeks.  And, roughly 3000 people below age 29 died in the US.
absolute stupidity.  over 600,000 dead in the US.  that's one out of every 550 Americans.  trust me, if that percentage of people going to an NBA game died driving to the stadium -- every stadium-every game, there'd be an uproar.