Author Topic: Ime Udoka is the new head coach (Merged)  (Read 27448 times)

Re: Ime Udoka is the new head coach (Merged)
« Reply #210 on: June 29, 2021, 08:30:12 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25621
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Nice interview with Ime on Zolak & Bertrand.  Among other things:

1. He spoke very highly of Smart, and said that he is very much a part of the future.
2. He spoke very highly of Rob Williams, and said they had spoken a lot, and that he is not concerned with his injury history.
3. Mentioned that the Nets focused on attacking guys other than Smart and Tatum. (uh oh Fournier)
4. Said that he thinks this team with some free agents has the foundation to compete with the Nets. Also with the further development of its young guys.
5. Emphasized wanting to structure the team defensively, particularly guarding the 3 point line better.

My takeaway:  Ime may be luke warm on the Celtics trying to re-sign Fournier.  Obviously he didn't say this, but I'm extrapolating here from the info that was revealed.

Link:

https://985thesportshub.com/2021/06/29/celtics-head-coach-ime-udoka-brad-stevens-is-no-threat-to-his-coaching/

Fournier is a good defender though. Why do you assume he was referring to him? I'd think Kemba was the most obvious choice of who the Nets were attacking as a defensive weak spot.

They went at Fournier a lot, and he played almost double the minutes of Kemba.  I think Fournier is a pretty safe guess as being one of the culprits.

No way they bring him back

Ime would need a costco size aspirin by his side

Mediocre defense

So, how do you replace very good offense, mediocre defense if we let Fournier walk?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #211 on: June 29, 2021, 09:35:42 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1819

1. He spoke very highly of Smart, and said that he is very much a part of the future.
2. He spoke very highly of Rob Williams, and said they had spoken a lot, and that he is not concerned with his injury history.
3. Mentioned that the Nets focused on attacking guys other than Smart and Tatum. (uh oh Fournier)
4. Said that he thinks this team with some free agents has the foundation to compete with the Nets. Also with the further development of its young guys.
5. Emphasized wanting to structure the team defensively, particularly guarding the 3 point line better.

My takeaway:  Ime may be luke warm on the Celtics trying to re-sign Fournier.  Obviously he didn't say this, but I'm extrapolating here from the info that was revealed.

Link:

https://985thesportshub.com/2021/06/29/celtics-head-coach-ime-udoka-brad-stevens-is-no-threat-to-his-coaching/

Fournier is a good defender though. Why do you assume he was referring to him? I'd think Kemba was the most obvious choice of who the Nets were attacking as a defensive weak spot.

They went at Fournier a lot, and he played almost double the minutes of Kemba.  I think Fournier is a pretty safe guess as being one of the culprits.

Mediocre defense

So, how do you replace very good offense, mediocre defense if we let Fournier walk?

His defensive woes are greatly exaggerated.

« Reply #212 on: June 29, 2021, 09:42:07 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 989

Link:

Mediocre defense

I'm very hopeful that he finds a Western Conference team that will pay him $15-20 million a year for 3 years, who is willing to accept a 2nd round pick from us so that Fournier can be outgoing salary in a 3-way trade to bring in a major contract.  Don't think it's likely, but it's what I'm hoping.  For example, Fournier to my hypothetical team, Thompson, and one of Langford/Nesmith is enough outgoing salary to bring back Beal.

« Reply #213 on: June 30, 2021, 01:07:04 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

Link:

Mediocre defense

I'm very hopeful that he finds a Western Conference team that will pay him $15-20 million a year for 3 years, who is willing to accept a 2nd round pick from us so that Fournier can be outgoing salary in a 3-way trade to bring in a major contract.  Don't think it's likely, but it's what I'm hoping.  For example, Fournier to my hypothetical team, Thompson, and one of Langford/Nesmith is enough outgoing salary to bring back Beal.

If we get Beal back without losing Brown or Tatum, I'll drive Fournier to the airport myself!  LOL   8)

« Reply #214 on: June 30, 2021, 07:36:12 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Link:

Mediocre defense

His defensive woes are greatly exaggerated.
Agreed considering the guy came in at the trade deadline and literally played like 20 games overall for the Cs (with a battle with covid during that stretch as well).

« Reply #215 on: June 30, 2021, 12:18:20 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540

Link:

Mediocre defense

Fourner wasn't the only one guilty of mediocre defense.  Add Smart, Tatum, Jaylen, Kemba and just about everyone else on the roster save for Langford.  Smart I thought had the worst season of his career defensively.

« Reply #216 on: June 30, 2021, 09:46:50 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Link:

Mediocre defense

Fourner wasn't the only one guilty of mediocre defense.  Add Smart, Tatum, Jaylen, Kemba and just about everyone else on the roster save for Langford.  Smart I thought had the worst season of his career defensively.
It was his worst defensive season by far.

Was no longer able to make nearly as many defensive plays as before, people were scoring on him more easily, his DBPM was -0.2, his previous career-low was 0.6 in 16-17, career average before this season was 1.3, and his DRaptor was -0.1, with his previous career-low at 1.9 twice in his career, his defensive rating was a career worst (113 compared to average of 106), he was getting steals at a career-low rate

So by the eye test, basic metrics and advanced metrics it was his worst defensive season by a significant margin.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #217 on: July 15, 2021, 08:05:43 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3186
Udoka is working with Tatum already. This is good news. I wish Jaylen was there too.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/jayson-tatum-injury-gregg-popovich-215917560.html

« Reply #218 on: July 15, 2021, 08:31:06 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Udoka is working with Tatum already. This is good news. I wish Jaylen was there too.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/jayson-tatum-injury-gregg-popovich-215917560.html
This had me wondering earlier. Kept hearing about how Udoka was going to be involved in the USAB team but when the coaches were announced he wasn't on the list.

Glad he's there

« Reply #219 on: July 17, 2021, 02:44:17 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 745
Udoka working with Tatum in the post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhu-Gm1PzXU
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #220 on: July 17, 2021, 04:55:48 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I like that he is banging him and making contact.  Tatum needs to learn how to beat that and over come that but take the contact to get the FTA.

« Reply #221 on: July 17, 2021, 07:14:51 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Love having a coach who looks like he could still suit up

« Reply #222 on: July 17, 2021, 10:42:35 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2670
  • bammokja

why? what does that have to do with being a good coach?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #223 on: July 17, 2021, 10:46:19 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

why? what does that have to do with being a good coach?
Nothing at all, but we haven't had a championship coach who didn't play NBA since Bill Fitch, so maybe there's something to it ;)

« Reply #224 on: July 18, 2021, 12:44:19 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I think Udoka was the correct choice.

I think the injury/covid mess that was last season needs to go away.

I think Udoka (as a Popovich guy) will use his "new sheriff in town" leverage to get the defense back on track.

Still not sure about Fournier as a 3 year deal for him might only be for his addition in a "big trade" for the mythic "third player" to join the J's in 2023/'24. It depends how Stevens is going to time the above.