Author Topic: Ime Udoka is the new head coach (Merged)  (Read 27344 times)

Re: Ime Udoka is the new head coach (Merged)
« Reply #225 on: July 18, 2021, 02:18:05 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
I think Udoka was the correct choice.

I think the injury/covid mess that was last season needs to go away.

I think Udoka (as a Popovich guy) will use his "new sheriff in town" leverage to get the defense back on track.

Still not sure about Fournier as a 3 year deal for him might only be for his addition in a "big trade" for the mythic "third player" to join the J's in 2023/'24. It depends how Stevens is going to time the above.

Fournier is a good fit for a Spurs style offense. If you can get him on a three-year 45 million deal that's a no brainer. He'd be easy to move at that price.

« Reply #226 on: July 18, 2021, 03:55:03 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Udoka working with Tatum in the post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhu-Gm1PzXU
Love having a coach who looks like he could still suit up
why? what does that have to do with being a good coach?

I think at this particular stage for the franchise, with our pillars entering the pivotal 23-26 years (before most superstars start winning rings at 26/27), it is a big factor. For better or worse, former players command respect, and being able to get one-on-one reps with them is definitely a rapport builder.

Udoka saying, "That ain't bully ball!" is probably much more well-received than Brad "150 lb. soaking wet" Stevens saying it. It's a fun "laugh it off, do another rep" when your built, former defensive stopper coach is 1) actually defending you 2) has defended actual NBA players before 3) telling you you didn't try hard enough to succeed at game-speed. It's probably something that gets on your nerves over time when your D3 benchwarmer from DePaul coach says to do it from the sidelines as an assistant pushes you with a football pad, especially if your team is underachieving.

Additionally, when your much less talented coach who nevertheless stuck in the NBA for 7-8 years tells you to get your act together off the floor with diet/sleep/preparation, it means much more because that's the marginal edge that kept him in the league. It's not a "stats guy" analysis. That human experience tends to resonate with people, particularly young men. I'm not sure how much this affects Tatum/Brown, who have alluded to sticking to very disciplined diets/sleep schedules in collaboration with the team, but it definitely will help at the margins for more independent players that are often the difference-making role players on great teams.

It's also worth noting that Udoka has been mentioned as one of the coaches who connected best with Kawhi Leonard in San Antonio. He and Hardy, especially, have track records at the NBA level of knowing what it takes for guys to "make the leap" from good to great, great to All-NBA.

I'm probably the biggest Stevens fan on this blog, but I'm hoping Udoka brings that Kevin McHale to KG energy (as a collective staff, obviously Udoka was nowhere near McHale's level as an individual player) to the Jays and the young team as a whole. I'm hoping the Celtics have more Damon Stoudamire in Smart and Pritchard, more defensive pride via Udoka, and more GSW and Spurs team play overall (via Udoka and Hardy).

« Reply #227 on: July 18, 2021, 04:12:50 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Udoka working with Tatum in the post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhu-Gm1PzXU
Love having a coach who looks like he could still suit up
why? what does that have to do with being a good coach?

I think at this particular stage for the franchise, with our pillars entering the pivotal 23-26 years (before most superstars start winning rings at 26/27), it is a big factor. For better or worse, former players command respect, and being able to get one-on-one reps with them is definitely a rapport builder.

Udoka saying, "That ain't bully ball!" is probably much more well-received than Brad "150 lb. soaking wet" Stevens saying it. It's a fun "laugh it off, do another rep" when your built, former defensive stopper coach is 1) actually defending you 2) has defended actual NBA players before 3) telling you you didn't try hard enough to succeed at game-speed. It's probably something that gets on your nerves over time when your D3 benchwarmer from DePaul coach says to do it from the sidelines as an assistant pushes you with a football pad, especially if your team is underachieving.

Additionally, when your much less talented coach who nevertheless stuck in the NBA for 7-8 years tells you to get your act together off the floor with diet/sleep/preparation, it means much more because that's the marginal edge that kept him in the league. It's not a "stats guy" analysis. That human experience tends to resonate with people, particularly young men. I'm not sure how much this affects Tatum/Brown, who have alluded to sticking to very disciplined diets/sleep schedules in collaboration with the team, but it definitely will help at the margins for more independent players that are often the difference-making role players on great teams.

It's also worth noting that Udoka has been mentioned as one of the coaches who connected best with Kawhi Leonard in San Antonio. He and Hardy, especially, have track records at the NBA level of knowing what it takes for guys to "make the leap" from good to great, great to All-NBA.

I'm probably the biggest Stevens fan on this blog, but I'm hoping Udoka brings that Kevin McHale to KG energy (as a collective staff, obviously Udoka was nowhere near McHale's level as an individual player) to the Jays and the young team as a whole. I'm hoping the Celtics have more Damon Stoudamire in Smart and Pritchard, more defensive pride via Udoka, and more GSW and Spurs team play overall (via Udoka and Hardy).

I'm very excited about Udoka this year and I would be ecstatic if we could somehow get McHale to come in as a big man coach.

« Reply #228 on: July 18, 2021, 05:49:53 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I think Udoka was the correct choice.

I think the injury/covid mess that was last season needs to go away.

I think Udoka (as a Popovich guy) will use his "new sheriff in town" leverage to get the defense back on track.

Still not sure about Fournier as a 3 year deal for him might only be for his addition in a "big trade" for the mythic "third player" to join the J's in 2023/'24. It depends how Stevens is going to time the above.

Fournier is a good fit for a Spurs style offense. If you can get him on a three-year 45 million deal that's a no brainer. He'd be easy to move at that price.
Fournier's time in Boston has been limited and weird but I do think he's shown a knack as an off-ball mover that the team really needs. I don't know that they've had someone who does that kind of thing naturally since Avery Bradley.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #229 on: August 04, 2021, 12:17:07 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Nice to hear about Payton Pritchard's Udoka connection!

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/payton-pritchard-thinks-celtics-coach-154904432.html