Author Topic: NBC Sports Boston Kemba Ideas  (Read 10265 times)

Re: NBC Sports Boston Kemba Ideas
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2021, 06:13:28 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I get that this would get turned down but I think we need an all-around PG who can distribute the ball, another above average, big wing and Kemba off the team.

My idea is something like:

Boston gets: Malcom Brogdon, Jerami Grant, Killian Hayes

Pistons get: Marcus Smart, TJ Warren, Jrue Holiday, Romeo Langford & our 2022 1st

Pacers get: Kemba & Josh Jackson

Salaries work but again I think this would get shot down by the Pacers and Pistons pretty hard even though it's not that crazy

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yfpvpodn
no doubt that gets shot down since Jrue is playing for the Bucks

« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2021, 06:19:13 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I get that this would get turned down but I think we need an all-around PG who can distribute the ball, another above average, big wing and Kemba off the team.

Pistons get: Marcus Smart, TJ Warren, Jrue Holiday, Romeo Langford & our 2022 1st

Salaries work but again I think this would get shot down by the Pacers and Pistons pretty hard even though it's not that crazy

Ha for some reason I thought it was a different J Holiday, TP.  Not sure why he's still on there!

« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2021, 06:37:55 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I wouldn’t mind the Knick’s trade idea, if it was with only one first round pick attached. There is value in getting rid of a $36M contract next season, and potentially $37.6M in ‘22/23, and not bringing back any salary. It would give Brad a chance to reset the team by bringing in higher quality role players. I'm not sure what the salary cap situation would look like in this scenario, but I like the idea of the team having flexibility in trades down the line by having players in the $8-12M range.
Completely disagree about salary dumping Kemba, but maybe it's because I do know what the salary cap situation would look like. The Celtics wouldn't have room to sign anyone. And if you want trade flexibility, you want to keep Kemba's contract for salary matching purposes in case a major star making major money becomes available via trade.

Salary dumping Kemba only hurts this team, IMHO. If you are trading Kemba, you want a comparable or better player coming back.

The Celtics could resign Fournier  ;).

(of course they can anyway, but the potential level of the luxury tax may discourage them from doing so)

« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2021, 07:03:39 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Ha for some reason I thought it was a different J Holiday, TP.  Not sure why he's still on there!

No, you're right - Slam was just having fun with you for the typo. It is actually Justin Holiday and he's a very solid player, but obviously not Jrue.

« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2021, 08:32:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I wouldn’t mind the Knick’s trade idea, if it was with only one first round pick attached. There is value in getting rid of a $36M contract next season, and potentially $37.6M in ‘22/23, and not bringing back any salary. It would give Brad a chance to reset the team by bringing in higher quality role players. I'm not sure what the salary cap situation would look like in this scenario, but I like the idea of the team having flexibility in trades down the line by having players in the $8-12M range.
Completely disagree about salary dumping Kemba, but maybe it's because I do know what the salary cap situation would look like. The Celtics wouldn't have room to sign anyone. And if you want trade flexibility, you want to keep Kemba's contract for salary matching purposes in case a major star making major money becomes available via trade.

Salary dumping Kemba only hurts this team, IMHO. If you are trading Kemba, you want a comparable or better player coming back.

The Celtics could resign Fournier  ;).

(of course they can anyway, but the potential level of the luxury tax may discourage them from doing so)
Lol...TP Rody.

« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2021, 08:46:58 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
There seems to be some misinformation (in my opinion) regarding the cap impacts of trading Kemba.  We will be over the cap whether we trade him or not meaning it has no impact on our ability to sign general free agents (meaning those that we don't have Bird rights to like Fournier).  We are going to be over the cap unless we trade out a lot more than just Kemba.  We have the tax payer exemption and maybe some other tricks but we will not be in the FA market beyond that.

If we do trade Walker, we will get back players, TPE, or some combination.  The players we take back will still keep us over the cap and likely over the tax threshold.  But we can also add players via secondary trades with any or all of the TPE we receive.  3-way trades are also possible.  For example:

To Knicks:  Kemba
To OKC:     Knicks second
To Boston: Horford

I am not suggesting that I want to do this trade, just showing an example.  If the trade is just with the Knicks say Walker for a swap of second round picks or something like that, then we get a big TPE that we can use to bring in salary via trades.  And we can do any and all of this and still sign Fournier via Bird rights.  We will be well into the tax if we sign Fournier but there are options here.

« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2021, 02:09:38 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Kemba Walker could use the proverbial change of scenery. Reports indicate that he and the Celtics are headed for a mutual parting of ways, which is most likely to come via trade.

Unfortunately, Walker’s outsized contract – more than $73.6 million is owed to him over the next two years, and he will have a $37.6 million player option for 2022-23 – means that his suitors will be limited. But one NBA exec told A. Sherrod Blakely of the Boston Sports Journal that the New York Knicks are a possibility.

New York was involved in the rumors to sign Walker back in 2019, so they would’ve been willing to take the plunge on this kind of contract, anyway. Based on data from Spotrac, The Knicks have the NBA’s second-most “practical cap space” at more than $59.5 million, so they can certainly afford to absorb Walker’s deal for 1-2 years. Big man Julius Randle is the only other Knick that would imminently command a max contract.

As for matching the money, the Celtics and Knicks could find a way to figure that part out. The important part for Boston, in the first place, is that at least one team may be out there that is willing to take Walker and his contract off their hands.

Jaron May of 98.5 The Sports Hub mentioned the Knicks, but also the Dallas Mavericks and Oklahoma City Thunder, as potential trade partners for the Celtics and Walker in his Celtics Notebook on Monday.

I don't think the Celts will need to give up a 1st. Knicks were interested in signing Kemba in 2019

To Knicks:  Walker
To Celtics  2021 2nd round pick (32nd) and TPE

« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2021, 02:14:37 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Kemba Walker could use the proverbial change of scenery. Reports indicate that he and the Celtics are headed for a mutual parting of ways, which is most likely to come via trade.

Unfortunately, Walker’s outsized contract – more than $73.6 million is owed to him over the next two years, and he will have a $37.6 million player option for 2022-23 – means that his suitors will be limited. But one NBA exec told A. Sherrod Blakely of the Boston Sports Journal that the New York Knicks are a possibility.

New York was involved in the rumors to sign Walker back in 2019, so they would’ve been willing to take the plunge on this kind of contract, anyway. Based on data from Spotrac, The Knicks have the NBA’s second-most “practical cap space” at more than $59.5 million, so they can certainly afford to absorb Walker’s deal for 1-2 years. Big man Julius Randle is the only other Knick that would imminently command a max contract.

As for matching the money, the Celtics and Knicks could find a way to figure that part out. The important part for Boston, in the first place, is that at least one team may be out there that is willing to take Walker and his contract off their hands.

Jaron May of 98.5 The Sports Hub mentioned the Knicks, but also the Dallas Mavericks and Oklahoma City Thunder, as potential trade partners for the Celtics and Walker in his Celtics Notebook on Monday.

I don't think the Celts will need to give up a 1st. Knicks were interested in signing Kemba in 2019

You should at least get to look at a couple of Knicks bench players for Kemba. Maybe Knox and Pelle?

« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2021, 02:17:44 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

You should at least get to look at a couple of Knicks bench players for Kemba. Maybe Knox and Pelle?

Dont think you can obtain TPE with other players coming back

I guess can do separate deals. But Knicks roster looks empty next season

« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2021, 04:03:04 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Just dumping Walker for a TPE seems extreme. He still has value.

« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2021, 04:34:14 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

The only we are going to get back is a used up player just like him, I think.   Someone's else damaged goods

« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2021, 10:06:26 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
"Celtics get: Kevin Love, Larry Nance Jr., Collin Sexton
Cavaliers get: Kemba Walker, Marcus Smart, Robert Williams, 2021 first-round pick"

I saw this proposal on another site. It totally changes both teams but I'm not sure if either gets better and I would hate to see TIMELORD go!
we give up the 3 best players and a first?  was that the Cavs' site?
I've proposed something like Love and Sexton for Walker, Langford, 16.  I think that trade might have some legs and merit from both teams.  Potentially could send Walker to the Knicks, which makes even more sense.

BOS - Love, Sexton
NY - Walker, G. Williams
CLE - Knox, Langford, 16, 19

Boston would have to pay Sexton, which means a huge payroll for that 22-23 season until Love comes off the books, but that might be enough to avoid the tax this year and still keep Fournier.

I just think something like that has the chance to make Boston more cohesive next year and a lot better down the line if Sexton can learn how to reign it in a bit as he would have a chance to be a real legit 3rd star, plus Boston still keeps its two best young players in R. Williams and Nesmith as well as the veteran depth in Thompson, Smart, and Fournier.

Next year (bring back the 3 free agents, 1 open spot)

Smalls - Sexton, Pritchard, Edwards
Wings - Brown, Smart, Fournier, Nesmith
Swings - Tatum, Parker, Ojeleye
Bigs - Love, Williams, Thompson, Kornet

A lot of roster flexibility, where you can go bigger or smaller depending on matchups.  Generally a more talented team, and if Sexton can figure out, a chance to be a real contender when Tatum and Brown hit their apexes.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2021, 10:24:15 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

If the contracts are small enough,  they will fit in the other TPE that the Celtics have.

« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2021, 12:28:05 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

If the contracts are small enough,  they will fit in the other TPE that the Celtics have.

You can't add contracts to a TPE you already have to take back a higher salary player, but I'm pretty sure you can trade a higher salary player (Kemba) for a lower salaried one (Knox) and just generate a TPE for the difference of the contracts. It's basically what we just did (in reverse) with Fournier by sending ORL Teague. Personally, I'd rather just have the full TPE than use some of it on a guy like Knox. I'm not really in favor of a NYK deal unless they are sending us 1sts.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 12:37:48 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2021, 12:45:02 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
"Celtics get: Kevin Love, Larry Nance Jr., Collin Sexton
Cavaliers get: Kemba Walker, Marcus Smart, Robert Williams, 2021 first-round pick"

I saw this proposal on another site. It totally changes both teams but I'm not sure if either gets better and I would hate to see TIMELORD go!
we give up the 3 best players and a first?  was that the Cavs' site?
I've proposed something like Love and Sexton for Walker, Langford, 16.  I think that trade might have some legs and merit from both teams.  Potentially could send Walker to the Knicks, which makes even more sense.

BOS - Love, Sexton
NY - Walker, G. Williams
CLE - Knox, Langford, 16, 19

Boston would have to pay Sexton, which means a huge payroll for that 22-23 season until Love comes off the books, but that might be enough to avoid the tax this year and still keep Fournier.

I just think something like that has the chance to make Boston more cohesive next year and a lot better down the line if Sexton can learn how to reign it in a bit as he would have a chance to be a real legit 3rd star, plus Boston still keeps its two best young players in R. Williams and Nesmith as well as the veteran depth in Thompson, Smart, and Fournier.

Next year (bring back the 3 free agents, 1 open spot)

Smalls - Sexton, Pritchard, Edwards
Wings - Brown, Smart, Fournier, Nesmith
Swings - Tatum, Parker, Ojeleye
Bigs - Love, Williams, Thompson, Kornet

A lot of roster flexibility, where you can go bigger or smaller depending on matchups.  Generally a more talented team, and if Sexton can figure out, a chance to be a real contender when Tatum and Brown hit their apexes.

Collin Sexton is less of a passer than Kemba Walker, and he's not a defender either. While he is young and seems to be a more efficient scorer than Walker ever was, I don't see why we should continue to make the same mistakes over and over. We just don't need that type of point guard any more.