4 (2.7%)
Someone else but not Mark Jackson or Jason Kidd
35 (23.6%)
Kara Lawson
12 (8.1%)
Rondo
8 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 147

Author Topic: Who's the New coach!  (Read 68495 times)

Re: Who's the New coach!
« Reply #525 on: June 23, 2021, 12:35:23 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Ime Udoka has interviewed "multiple times with the Celtics" according to Jeff Goodman.

I take that to mean more than a couple of times which would seem to indicate a more thorough vetting.

Some people I've read say an announcement could be forthcoming very soon (maybe today) on Udoka.

He's the guy who has experience with our players, and who has mentored on some really good staffs.  Plus he has a ring.

My only worry is that Udoka seems passive (outside looking in) and was only a role player during his time in the NBA

Tatum seems to dig the limelight/rubbing elbows with stars like Durant/Irving.   Bryant is his ultimate idol

A guy like Billups could "push" more out of him  vs  "What do you know,  you were only a sidekick and I'm already a star" 

A guy like Udoka might also be an easier relationship for Stevens Vs someone like Billups who has a bolder personality.  Override Stevens at times

What my fear is...   don't hire the "comfortable/easy going"  coach that caters to others (stars/gm etc)  ... but can push the right buttons and take this current unit to the finals

I don't know if Udoka can be all of these things.  But I would bet that Billups would be more difficult/demand more from the players.  And has the player credential to back it up

Yeah I know some dislike him due to his past.  But many of the young stars don't seem to be bothered with what Kobe did either

It is a fine line between over demanding/derail  vs extracting that extra.  This current Celtics team (from last season) ... needs to go through bootcamp imo

Some new strategic/Xs and Os won't solve much
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 12:44:35 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #526 on: June 23, 2021, 12:52:48 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Ime Udoka has interviewed "multiple times with the Celtics" according to Jeff Goodman.

I take that to mean more than a couple of times which would seem to indicate a more thorough vetting.

Some people I've read say an announcement could be forthcoming very soon (maybe today) on Udoka.

He's the guy who has experience with our players, and who has mentored on some really good staffs.  Plus he has a ring.

My only worry is that Udoka seems passive (outside looking in) and was only a role player during his time in the NBA

Tatum seems to dig the limelight/rubbing elbows with stars like Durant/Irving.   Bryant is his ultimate idol

A guy like Billups could "push" more out of him  vs  "What do you know,  you were only a sidekick and I'm already a star" 

A guy like Udoka might also be an easier relationship for Stevens Vs someone like Billups who has a bolder personality.  Override Stevens at times

What my fear is...   don't hire the "comfortable/easy going"  coach that caters to others (stars/gm etc)  ... but can push the right buttons and take this current unit to the finals

I don't know if Udoka can be all of these things.  But I would bet that Billups would be more difficult/demand more from the players.  And has the credentials to back it up

Yeah I know some dislike him due to his past.  But many of the young stars don't seem to be bothered with what Kobe did either

It is a fine line between over demanding/derail  vs extracting that extra.  This current Celtics team (from last season) ... needs to go through bootcamp imo

I agree with some of the points, but after listening to Udoka his philosophy of playing as a team, playing tough defense and being tgether on and off the court is consistent to what we have, but maybe from a different perspective.

He's helped Spurs players get better including Leonard in the off season. Now when it comes to challenging the refs and being tough on the court, don't know haven't seen him that much to know what he can and can't do coaching wise.

But Tatumn,Brown and Smart all loved him, and if he wasn't good, he wouldn't be part of team USA coaching staff. Now do they like him because of his coaching ability, or because they could push him to do what they want. 

But there were times people thought Stevens was too quite then you heard about his blow ups at half time in the locker room and then the teams came out and played. So becuase it's all peace and calm on the inside doesn't mean there isn't a fiery beast on the inside. Stevens just didn't tap into it enough.

Now when it comes to how much of a player role Udoka had, I don't think thats a huge deal, Stevens had non and his first few seasons he was really good, last season was his worst, and I tribute more of the over all issues of the past season leading up to this, than him over all.

Spoelstra was a film guy, and we thought most of his coaching was LEbum and crew, but he's proven to be pretty good. So if this is the choice, I'm in, but cautious. 

« Reply #527 on: June 23, 2021, 01:01:18 PM »

Offline $Mike$

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Udoka or Cassell

« Reply #528 on: June 23, 2021, 01:05:58 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I don't know if Udoka can be all of these things.  But I would bet that Billups would be more difficult/demand more from the players.  And has the credentials to back it up

I agree with some of the points, but after listening to Udoka his philosophy of playing as a team, playing tough defense and being tgether on and off the court is consistent to what we have, but maybe from a different perspective.

He's helped Spurs players get better including Leonard in the off season. Now when it comes to challenging the refs and being tough on the court, don't know haven't seen him that much to know what he can and can't do coaching wise.

But Tatumn,Brown and Smart all loved him, and if he wasn't good, he wouldn't be part of team USA coaching staff. Now do they like him because of his coaching ability, or because they could push him to do what they want. 

But there were times people thought Stevens was too quite then you heard about his blow ups at half time in the locker room and then the teams came out and played. So becuase it's all peace and calm on the inside doesn't mean there isn't a fiery beast on the inside. Stevens just didn't tap into it enough.

Now when it comes to how much of a player role Udoka had, I don't think thats a huge deal, Stevens had non and his first few seasons he was really good, last season was his worst, and I tribute more of the over all issues of the past season leading up to this, than him over all.

Spoelstra was a film guy, and we thought most of his coaching was LEbum and crew, but he's proven to be pretty good. So if this is the choice, I'm in, but cautious.

some good points

It will be a risk either way for Stevens.  All of these Celtics coach candidates only have assistant coaching experience

This is why I was in heavy favor to sign Juwan Howard as a head coach.  He has a strong presence about him

Leadership, presence are very important qualities from a HC

« Reply #529 on: June 23, 2021, 01:07:20 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Udoka or Cassell

Has the Celtics even interviewed Cassell yet?

Doesn't seem like Blazers have or heard that any other team has

not sure what else more Cassell has to do, to get a chance

« Reply #530 on: June 23, 2021, 01:39:37 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
I'm expecting Udoka or Ham at this point.

I don't know enough about Ham

but Udoka is a guy I like. 

The tough part is that he has been only an assistant.  Zero head coaching experience at any level

I would give Billups a leg up. Because he led the 2004 Pistons to a championship.   He was one of the key players for that team
Also a rapist

A rapist? If that is true would he still be in the NBA?

Why did Brad or Blazers setup a 2nd interview.... aren't they aware...

That he is guilty

Why is Kobe hailed as a legend?  Why is Mike Tyson an icon?  Why is Bill Clinton still revered?  Big Ben, Roman Polanski, Woody Allen.  Jeffrey Epstein.

Society is generally pretty complacent to rapists.

Roy I agree eee with your point here but why the heck is Epstein on this list? He is like a Wikipedia page picture  for
Scumbag
He wasn't until his 2nd or 3rd round of indictments. After his first conviction, he was still repeatedly seen with the elites of government, business and entertainment.

« Reply #531 on: June 23, 2021, 01:54:02 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

I don't know if Udoka can be all of these things.  But I would bet that Billups would be more difficult/demand more from the players.  And has the player credential to back it up

100.  TP.

« Reply #532 on: June 23, 2021, 02:00:40 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

100.  TP.

I don't really agree.  I don't think a guy needs to have been a star to get through to our players.  First of all, how many successful star players are head coaches in the NBA currently?  Just one, correct?  (Nash)  Having a well-respected role player as a coach is just fine.

Second, what makes anybody think that Udoka is passive, or more or less passionate than Chauncey Billups? 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #533 on: June 23, 2021, 02:31:54 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Jay Laranaga now the betting favorite? This makes little sense.

https://twitter.com/deliberatepix/status/1407763582893191169?s=20

« Reply #534 on: June 23, 2021, 02:47:46 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Jay Laranaga now the betting favorite? This makes little sense.

https://twitter.com/deliberatepix/status/1407763582893191169?s=20

I’m pretty skeptical. If you know any real sports books giving those odds, though, I’d be happy to lay some money down.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #535 on: June 23, 2021, 02:59:45 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
delete

« Reply #536 on: June 23, 2021, 03:55:00 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
hired a guy that didn't even make the initial poll
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #537 on: June 23, 2021, 04:40:27 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 89
hired a guy that didn't even make the initial poll

Watchou talking’ ‘bout Moranis?

He was the 2nd choice in the poll! “Someone else, but not Mark Jackson or Jason Kidd.” 34 votes!

Shows how much we know around here. Glad Brad is being decisive.  Not playing games. Got a guy from the Pop tree that the core respects.