Author Topic: "pre drafting" idea  (Read 1621 times)

"pre drafting" idea
« on: May 14, 2021, 12:58:39 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
https://www.prospectiveinsight.com/post/pre-drafting

https://twitter.com/NBADraftWass/status/1392836030567436288

Above is an article and podcast (I haven't been able to listen yet) they touch upon an interesting idea that could be mutually beneficial to both the NCAA and NBA. Allow players to declare, be drafted and then continue to play for their college team.

Ideally I could see the draft process changing pretty dramatically for the better.

I would...

1. Expand the G-League ignite model, create two teams that play out of an NBA academy. Like the Ignite this would be only available to the top end high-school talent. The goal would be to play 3-4 projected 1st round picks on each G-League team. That helps the players develop, gives NBA scouts access to them, but hurts the NCAA top end talent pool

2. Allow teams to draft players in the first round with the option for that player to stay in college, I would make it so any player drafted post lottery is slotted to start his rookie contract at the #14 players salary. This gives teams and players incentive to draft a project at the end of the first allow him to develop in college for 1-3 years then join the team. The player is guaranteed a lottery level contract. I would also allow upper class man (junior/seniors) who enter via this process to make 1 year of their rookie deal a player option. Cutting back the time till the players hits the coveted second contract.   Example: Last season the Cs could have drafted Franz Wagner or James Bouknight at #30 and would now add him to their roster at the salary of the #14 pick. When/If the NCAA allows player compensation the NBA could also incorporate a signing bonus to the drafted players. This would take a few drafts to even out the talent but eventually I could see it where teams are drafting young raw players and allowing them to develop/get an education in the NCAA.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet