Author Topic: Shams: Jaylen out for Season (Torn Ligament in Wrist)  (Read 12974 times)

Re: Shams: Jaylen out for Season (Torn Ligament in Wrist)
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2021, 08:36:08 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
It's Tatum time.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2021, 08:45:08 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
ESPN's Pelton on the Brown injury:

Between the injuries, absences due to the NBA's health and safety protocols and the midseason trade of starter Daniel Theis, the Celtics have already used 34 different starting lineups this season. That's double their total in 2019-20 and the franchise's most in a season since starters were first tracked in 1983-84, according to Basketball-Reference.com.

As a result, Boston's absences might have been more impactful than it looks on the surface. Overall, Celtics players had missed games through last Thursday in which they would have been expected to contribute 8.5 wins above replacement player, by my WARP metric, the NBA's sixth-highest total. However, Owen Phillips' F5 newsletter has pointed out that lineups used might be a better measure of what causes teams to perform better or worse than expectations.

With the Brooklyn Nets (35 starting lineups) as a notable exception, the other teams that have been forced to change their starters as frequently as Boston have ended up lower in the standings. The Toronto Raptors, who lost to the Celtics in last year's conference semifinals, are likely headed to the lottery after using 34 starting combinations this season. The only other team to use more is the Houston Rockets (40), who have the league's worst record.

This doesn't account for the long-Covid that Tatum was playing with and may still have (I can't think of another top-tier player who has been more affected) nor the sub-optimal playing time for those working themselves back into the lineup from injuries either (Kemba and others).

« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2021, 08:51:50 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Fitting end to a bad season

« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2021, 09:07:26 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Cs need to re-sage TD Garden.

« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2021, 09:09:38 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I will guess that they knew Brown was toast some time ago, just delaying the announcement.

Maybe set up the rotations for the last games to get some gain for rooks?

I think the "end 2020 season in September" hurt the team.

From August 17, 2020 through September 27, 2020 the Celtics played 17 playoff games as the rest of the NBA got out of Orlando.

This season the young guys came on pretty good. The issue being the Celtics bench is really young.

Maybe with the pressure off this season they'll score more than 18 points in the first freaking quarter of games.

« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2021, 09:14:45 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I will guess that they knew Brown was toast some time ago, just delaying the announcement.

From August 17, 2020 through September 27, 2020 the Celtics played 17 playoff games as the rest of the NBA got out of Orlando.

This season the young guys came on pretty good. The issue being the Celtics bench is really young.

Maybe with the pressure off this season they'll score more than 18 points in the first freaking quarter of games.

Mark Murphy @Murf56
about 2 hours ago

Source said that Jaylen Brown had been dealing with a wrist issue since approximately mid-April. Though he was close to return from ankle sprain, they decided to go ahead with wrist surgery now.

So he'll be ready for the start of the 21-22 season....

« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2021, 09:17:13 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Mark Murphy @Murf56
about 2 hours ago

Source said that Jaylen Brown had been dealing with a wrist issue since approximately mid-April. Though he was close to return from ankle sprain, they decided to go ahead with wrist surgery now.

Tank

« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2021, 09:38:56 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Sean Grande
@SeanGrandePBP
·
1h

The "core four" for the Celtics, Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown, Kemba Walker and Marcus Smart ended up playing together a total of 292 minutes this year.

and thus ends one of, if not the, most unsatisfying seasons in all of celtics' history.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2021, 09:51:31 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
 Forsberg:

2020-21 Celtics in a snapshot

183 games missed. Add 4 more for Jaylen Brown. Maybe more for Rob.

And now it’s guaranteed: Zero games played with their top 7 available the entire season.

« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2021, 09:53:38 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 121
Sean Grande
@SeanGrandePBP
·
1h

The "core four" for the Celtics, Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown, Kemba Walker and Marcus Smart ended up playing together a total of 292 minutes this year.

and thus ends one of, if not the, most unsatisfying seasons in all of celtics' history.

I wouldn't call Smart part of that "core four".  He's cost this team a LOT of wins this year with his bonehead shot selection.  I actually think this team would play better and win more games without him on the roster.

« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2021, 09:53:51 PM »

Offline satch

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 136

Mark Murphy @Murf56
about 2 hours ago

Yes be ready for next year. That way he can play every other game. The new norm in the NBA.

« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2021, 09:56:15 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 983
Sean Grande
@SeanGrandePBP
·
1h

Nah.  This season still has the chance to be somewhat satisfying, as a counted out Celtics team finds their groove in the playoffs, knocking off at least one contender as they advance to the later rounds, with surprise contributions from some rookies and second-year players, leaving everyone optimistic about the future once again.

« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2021, 10:06:52 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 995
Tatum/Brown/Smart/Walker could very likely be the last time this core played together.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2021, 10:12:00 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 995
Maybe it was a big mistake to lose Gordon Hayward after all. Or not trade him to the Pacers.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2021, 10:12:02 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Oof, well I guess that’s that. Not confident we’ll survive the play-in tournament at this rate.
- LilRip