Author Topic: Winning Cures All: Mea Culpa, Danny  (Read 3826 times)

Re: Winning Cures All: Mea Culpa, Danny
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2021, 08:42:19 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
Not a good sign that Langford played only 9 minutes last night. No Brown or Fournier. The Warriors got good scoring from Wiggins, Bazemore and Poole. The matchups called for him to play.

This is my biggest criticism of Stevens, and of team management. They just don't commit to players and they don't commit to roles. So the 6 pts and 4 rebounds in 45 minutes from Grant Williams and Semi Ojeleye will be ready for the playoffs, and Langford won't be.

I think Parker is taking his place. it is disappointing though that he barely had any time as I and many others thought he could be a contributer this year. maybe around what Prichard gives.

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2021, 09:20:13 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Not a good sign that Langford played only 9 minutes last night. No Brown or Fournier. The Warriors got good scoring from Wiggins, Bazemore and Poole. The matchups called for him to play.

This is my biggest criticism of Stevens, and of team management. They just don't commit to players and they don't commit to roles. So the 6 pts and 4 rebounds in 45 minutes from Grant Williams and Semi Ojeleye will be ready for the playoffs, and Langford won't be.

I think Parker is taking his place. it is disappointing though that he barely had any time as I and many others thought he could be a contributer this year. maybe around what Prichard gives.

I think it is more about offense and shooting to help with the lack of Brown and Fournier.   

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2021, 09:36:36 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Just think last night they looked for offense over defense because they needed it with JB/Fournier out. I think Langford will still get minutes for his defense. Brad has a little more flexibility now to mix and match his bench depending on what he needs (more offense with Parker/Fournier) or maybe a little more defense with (Langford/Williams).

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2021, 09:36:45 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Jay King @ByJayKing

Brad Stevens suggesting it’s not rocket science why the Celtics have played better lately: “Well again, I think the number one reason for our little run here is we've been, for the most part, healthier.”

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2021, 09:53:52 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Hats off to DA for dumping clueless Wagner and getting somebody else who can score and has a  decent basketball head on his shoulders.

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2021, 10:02:26 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365

I think it is more about offense and shooting to help with the lack of Brown and Fournier.

yeah, that makes sense. we are missing alot of offense without Brown/Fournier 24.6PPG from brown and 19.7PPG average this year from fournier.

grant willisams and Semi dont exactly strike fear in the hearts of opposing defenders.

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2021, 10:07:06 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

I love the new ball movement and the commitment to defense.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2021, 10:10:54 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
It wasn’t the moves that made the Cs better. The Cs drastically underachieved. Yes, injuries and covid have played a large role from a continuity and rhythm stand point for this team. But, they should not have been that lackluster for this long.

Glad they are finding their footing. If they can integrate Fournier/Parker into the rotation as well, they will be able to hang and make some noise. 8-1 so far in April.
Saw someone say the other day that if we'd won the 6 games we lost by 3 points or less, that'd be a 12 game swing in the standings, putting us solidly second in the East?

I mean, that's only a few percentages from 3 point land difference.

Someone else said that defending against 3 is all luck. We fell from first best allowed 3pt% to 16th best in the league. But that it was all luck. So in that case; it's just been bad luck that we've been this "bad"?

I dunno - i see so many ways we can swing all these stats positively. I feel we've got a real solid team, and have just been "saving our luck" for later in the season.

And I'm 100% game for that.

(Pardon the weird post. I realise this one's a bit all over the place lol)
Absolutely, but I think we had issues that caused us to consistently lose close games (eg. clunky crunch time offence, inability to get players other than Tatum consistently involved, erratic defensive effort, etc). What we've done recently is to create our luck by solving or mitigating most of these issues and the results are showing up in our performances.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2021, 12:03:24 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Just think last night they looked for offense over defense because they needed it with JB/Fournier out. I think Langford will still get minutes for his defense. Brad has a little more flexibility now to mix and match his bench depending on what he needs (more offense with Parker/Fournier) or maybe a little more defense with (Langford/Williams).
i don't understand the analysis that Stevens chose offense over defense. The Warriors had scoring from Curry and 3 guys that Langford was far better suited to covering than Grant Williams or Semi Ojeleye were. Why not have Parker take their minutes? They give you zero on offense. The Warriors don't have anything inside to worry about.

This team needs Langford to be a legit two way player. If you are rolling out someone who defends but doesn't contribute on offense, it is insane to choose the players who have no upside. Williams or Semi Ojeleye do not give us any significant boost size wise. Unlocking Langford's potential is critical. He can become a good offensive player. Semi and Grant will never be.

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2021, 01:43:48 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
You need to play defense no doubt, but when you run into a hot unstoppable Curry you better be ready to slow down the game, and score points.

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2021, 06:48:51 PM »

Kiorrik

It wasn’t the moves that made the Cs better. The Cs drastically underachieved. Yes, injuries and covid have played a large role from a continuity and rhythm stand point for this team. But, they should not have been that lackluster for this long.

Glad they are finding their footing. If they can integrate Fournier/Parker into the rotation as well, they will be able to hang and make some noise. 8-1 so far in April.
Saw someone say the other day that if we'd won the 6 games we lost by 3 points or less, that'd be a 12 game swing in the standings, putting us solidly second in the East?

I mean, that's only a few percentages from 3 point land difference.

Someone else said that defending against 3 is all luck. We fell from first best allowed 3pt% to 16th best in the league. But that it was all luck. So in that case; it's just been bad luck that we've been this "bad"?

I dunno - i see so many ways we can swing all these stats positively. I feel we've got a real solid team, and have just been "saving our luck" for later in the season.

And I'm 100% game for that.

(Pardon the weird post. I realise this one's a bit all over the place lol)
Absolutely, but I think we had issues that caused us to consistently lose close games (eg. clunky crunch time offence, inability to get players other than Tatum consistently involved, erratic defensive effort, etc). What we've done recently is to create our luck by solving or mitigating most of these issues and the results are showing up in our performances.
Yeah that's fair! Point remains similar though; couple of bounces fall differently and that whole situation changes :)

I'm cool with the way the season is panning out. We're rounding into form now. Added some pieces.

Couple important games coming up too, so perfect with that timing.