Author Topic: Winning Cures All: Mea Culpa, Danny  (Read 3800 times)

Winning Cures All: Mea Culpa, Danny
« on: April 17, 2021, 11:28:08 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
These past ten games we are back to being what I thought we were: Winners who, with a few lucky bounces and/or injury bugs for others, could win it all.

I need to apologize for overreacting in constantly stating Danny is washed up and needs to retire. The addition of Fournier was an act of brilliance in that it lit a fire under the Super Jay Bros. and Kemba. The team could feel the season slipping away and has responded well, with Brad’s brilliance and Tatum’s recovery from COVID-19 leading the way.

Now let’s keep this trend up all the way to the title! Come the off-season, re-sign Fournier and make a move with the rest of the TPE. We are close!

Re: Winning Cures All: Mea Culpa, Danny
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 11:30:49 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
The fact is those including you that said moves needed to be made were right all along.

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 11:39:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The fact is those including you that said moves needed to be made were right all along.
And yet, the guys who were brought in have barely played

I always said for this team to get better the players and coaches had to perform better. That would be the fastest and best way to get better. From within.

And that's pretty much is what's happening and the major reason the team is winning. It's the core players playing more together, communicating better with each other, holding each other more accountable and giving 100% effort on both sides of the ball.

You can see this in the amazing plus minus stats the starters have had and the defensive performances the team has had overall during this stretch
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 11:49:13 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 11:45:45 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
It wasn’t the moves that made the Cs better. The Cs drastically underachieved. Yes, injuries and covid have played a large role from a continuity and rhythm stand point for this team. But, they should not have been that lackluster for this long.

Glad they are finding their footing. If they can integrate Fournier/Parker into the rotation as well, they will be able to hang and make some noise. 8-1 so far in April.

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 01:09:48 AM »

Kiorrik

It wasn’t the moves that made the Cs better. The Cs drastically underachieved. Yes, injuries and covid have played a large role from a continuity and rhythm stand point for this team. But, they should not have been that lackluster for this long.

Glad they are finding their footing. If they can integrate Fournier/Parker into the rotation as well, they will be able to hang and make some noise. 8-1 so far in April.
Saw someone say the other day that if we'd won the 6 games we lost by 3 points or less, that'd be a 12 game swing in the standings, putting us solidly second in the East?

I mean, that's only a few percentages from 3 point land difference.

Someone else said that defending against 3 is all luck. We fell from first best allowed 3pt% to 16th best in the league. But that it was all luck. So in that case; it's just been bad luck that we've been this "bad"?

I dunno - i see so many ways we can swing all these stats positively. I feel we've got a real solid team, and have just been "saving our luck" for later in the season.

And I'm 100% game for that.

(Pardon the weird post. I realise this one's a bit all over the place lol)

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 01:19:16 AM »

Offline fmbl24

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 18
They are 10-3 since the deadline. The moves made the team better because it was the only way Stevens was going to stop play Teague and give TL a bigger role. That's def a huge part of it, anyway.

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 01:28:22 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Everyone and their mother knew we had to make some moves. Most importantly Danny knew.

TP to the OP, but others here need to repent.

Oh, BTW, we're almost healthy according to CBS. We'll also add more help in the off-season

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 01:50:59 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
The roster has been stacked all along. The team is healthy now, that’s the difference. Ainge drafted some darn good talent who are all young. Tatum, Brown, Pritchard, Williams, Smart, Langford......those draftees could beat 3/4’s the teams in the league, by themselves.

All drafted by Ainge. Don’t fire him, resign him for another 10 years. He’s a bad man.

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2021, 01:59:59 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

Saw someone say the other day that if we'd won the 6 games we lost by 3 points or less, that'd be a 12 game swing in the standings, putting us solidly second in the East?

Someone else said that defending against 3 is all luck. We fell from first best allowed 3pt% to 16th best in the league. But that it was all luck. So in that case; it's just been bad luck that we've been this "bad"?

I dunno - i see so many ways we can swing all these stats positively. I feel we've got a real solid team, and have just been "saving our luck" for later in the season.

Reminds me of that Minnesota season, around 2013 or so, maybe K Love's last season, where they lost a record of games by 3 points or less - it was something crazy like 30 games.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2021, 02:34:22 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
They are 10-3 since the deadline. The moves made the team better because it was the only way Stevens was going to stop play Teague and give TL a bigger role. That's def a huge part of it, anyway.

This!

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2021, 03:39:04 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
He's added to the bench (even with Fournier missing a lot of time) and has put Stevens in a better situation, by forcing him to play more TL and PP, who complement our other guys well.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2021, 06:30:52 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I think simply having his full team available is huge too for Stevens. The Celtics have had 133 days missed due to players in COVID protocol. For comparison the Mavericks are the next highest with 111 & the Raptors with 105.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2021, 07:38:07 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
its just too bad we havent had many games at full strength yet. even last night missing time lord, brown, fournier.

hopefully we get them all back this week and can keep the run going.

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2021, 07:54:47 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Reminds me of that Minnesota season, around 2013 or so, maybe K Love's last season, where they lost a record of games by 3 points or less - it was something crazy like 30 games.
A win is a win, and a loss is a loss.  You can't pretend that close games are "almost" wins.  Good play in the last 5 minutes of most games decides the outcome, even when there is a 10-point separation.

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2021, 08:37:58 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Not a good sign that Langford played only 9 minutes last night. No Brown or Fournier. The Warriors got good scoring from Wiggins, Bazemore and Poole. The matchups called for him to play.

This is my biggest criticism of Stevens, and of team management. They just don't commit to players and they don't commit to roles. So the 6 pts and 4 rebounds in 45 minutes from Grant Williams and Semi Ojeleye will be ready for the playoffs, and Langford won't be.