Author Topic: Jaylens Floor and Ceiling  (Read 3286 times)

Re: Jaylens Floor and Ceiling
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2021, 01:00:58 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
What do you think Jaylen Browns floor/ceiling is when comparing him to current or former NBA players? Going into this season I thought his floor was Jimmy Butler and ceiling was Dwayne Wade. His play this season reminds me a lot of Wade actually...

Brown
- Ceiling - Miami Heat Jimmy Butler with a 3 point shot
- Floor -  Minnesota Wolves Jimmy Butler

Tatum
- Ceiling - Orlando Magic Tracy McGrady
- Floor- Houston Rockets Tracy McGrady

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2021, 03:24:13 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Not a floor nor a ceiling, but in regards to historical player comps for Jaylen, Vince Carter has to be mentioned. They have their differences, but aesthetically, their strength, explosiveness, and ability to score well on all 3 levels are very similar.

We might be seeing Brown-Tatum being the answer to what-if VC and TMac stayed together.

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2021, 04:11:46 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Dwayne Wade in his fifth year was a much better playmaker, defender, and got to the line twice as much as Brown.
Jaylen Brown in his 5th year is a better shooter from 2 and a much better shooter from 3 than Wade was (the major weakness of Wade's game). Brown has a TS% of 59.3 in his fifth year vs Wade's 54.9 which is a significant difference in efficiency. Because of his FT attempts and assists, Wade's PER was a point higher than Browns is.

Wade's defense would have given Wade the edge, but he was 26 and 2 years older in his fifth year and in his prime years. Brown's got two years to get to 26. Wade also was a player starting in year one and much more productive earlier than Brown, but again, he was two years older after coming into the NBA after a fine college career at Marquette.

Brown's two inches taller, but about the same weight as Wade. Wade's body type is closer to Smart's as I recall him. Also don't recall Wade as being anywhere as close as far as athleticism. Got to the line a lot though. I really don't really see that much of a resemblance based on my memories of Wade's game, but it's fun to try to figure out a comp.

You should watch some of Wades highlights. His body type was nothing like Smart’s, he was lean and long(6’11” wingspan”) like Jaylen. Wade was also very athletic and an elite slasher.
Brown is not as good at getting to the basket yet, but he’s greatly improved and may be the best on the team. Wade was a better passer, Jaylens a better shooter. Both very good defenders.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 04:21:53 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2021, 05:02:09 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
1% Ceiling: LeBron
Likely ceiling: Klay Thompson
Floor: 2019-2020 Jaylen Brown

Jimmy Butler is a better facilitator, defender, and slasher. But Jaylen shoots the three a lot better than Jimmy.

The Dwyane Wade comp is interesting. I can see some of it.

People forget how could of passer Wade was. 7.5 apg at 25 years old.

Yep that was the major gap that stands out to me. Wade was amazing at inside-out and overall just facilitating. Not to mention that he got the line at an insane rate early in his career. It’s early but I see some of Wade’s game in Langford, he just needs the ball more and is currently only playing the role as a spot up shooter.

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2021, 05:03:53 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Paul George is probably the right comp currently. Two to three years ago the comps for Brown were Danny Green or Shane Battier. The beauty of Brown is that he keeps evolving.

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2021, 05:35:26 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Dwayne Wade in his fifth year was a much better playmaker, defender, and got to the line twice as much as Brown.

Jaylen Brown in his 5th year is a better shooter from 2 and a much better shooter from 3 than Wade was (the major weakness of Wade's game). Brown has a TS% of 59.3 in his fifth year vs Wade's 54.9 which is a significant difference in efficiency. Because of his FT attempts and assists, Wade's PER was a point higher than Browns is.

Wade's defense would have given Wade the edge, but he was 26 and 2 years older in his fifth year and in his prime years. Brown's got two years to get to 26. Wade also was a player starting in year one and much more productive earlier than Brown, but again, he was two years older after coming into the NBA after a fine college career at Marquette.

Brown's two inches taller, but about the same weight as Wade. Wade's body type is closer to Smart's as I recall him. Also don't recall Wade as being anywhere as close as far as athleticism. Got to the line a lot though. I really don't really see that much of a resemblance based on my memories of Wade's game, but it's fun to try to figure out a comp.

You should watch some of Wades highlights. His body type was nothing like Smart’s, he was lean and long(6’11” wingspan”) like Jaylen. Wade was also very athletic and an elite slasher.
Brown is not as good at getting to the basket yet, but he’s greatly improved and may be the best on the team. Wade was a better passer, Jaylens a better shooter. Both very good defenders.

I've seen way too much of Dwayne Wade. He played inside the arc, got most of his offense off the PnR, good ball handler and playmaker, finished at the rim a lot, took contact, drew far more fouls than Brown ever will, below average distance shooter, and an outstanding shot blocker. Was a very good player as a rookie and scored 24+ ppg as a sophomore.

Don’t think any of that matches Brown.

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2021, 08:07:12 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
It's tricky. Brown continues to add folds to his game. Career best marks in efficiency from everywhere, as well as career highs in points, assists and steals. Is still only 24.

His floor would have to be what he is now but probably with fewer turnovers and improved free throw shooting. His ceiling.. a more efficient 2018-19 Paul George? That dude was genuinely elite.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)