Author Topic: Jaylens Floor and Ceiling  (Read 3237 times)

Jaylens Floor and Ceiling
« on: April 17, 2021, 12:00:33 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
What do you think Jaylen Browns floor/ceiling is when comparing him to current or former NBA players? Going into this season I thought his floor was Jimmy Butler and ceiling was Dwayne Wade. His play this season reminds me a lot of Wade actually...

Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Jaylens Floor and Ceiling
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 12:53:25 AM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
1% Ceiling: LeBron
Likely ceiling: Klay Thompson
Floor: 2019-2020 Jaylen Brown

Jimmy Butler is a better facilitator, defender, and slasher. But Jaylen shoots the three a lot better than Jimmy.

The Dwyane Wade comp is interesting. I can see some of it.

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 12:55:44 AM »

Kiorrik

Dunno much about ceilings and floors - but I love how crafty his game is. Methodical even.

I wish he drew more fouls. But that's not on him; he gets whacked in the face on layups all the time, without getting fouls called for him.

I feel like the refs think we already have a top player that gets fouls called easily in Tatum, and they don't wanna give it to him, or something.

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 01:45:41 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think he's going to be the best Jaylen Brown ever.

He just gets better and better. Anyone noticing the floater he has broken out since the All-Star game. He is hitting that shot at a pace I didn't think possible given it's a new shot for him.

40% from three. His next step is generating for others. He took a step this year. I expect a bigger one coming. He has top 10 player in the NBA potential and I think he gets there.

I think we fans are going to see special things out of both Jaylen and Jayson. Both are so good and have amazing upside still to reach, which I can see happening, given they still have years before they even start their prime.

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 02:08:03 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

He just gets better and better. Anyone noticing the floater he has broken out since the All-Star game. He is hitting that shot at a pace I didn't think possible given it's a new shot for him.

40% from three. His next step is generating for others. He took a step this year. I expect a bigger one coming. He has top 10 player in the NBA potential and I think he gets there.

I think we fans are going to see special things out of both Jaylen and Jayson. Both are so good and have amazing upside still to reach, which I can see happening, given they still have years before they even start their prime.

Yup, Jaylen is a great player.  And he's perfectly built to improve each year - for many years - if in good health. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2021, 02:21:04 AM »

Kiorrik

Dude, I know this is "easy to say" but; I started typing that up too. Removed it because I couldn't word it eloquently enough.

I'm looking forward to his playmaking improving. I don't wanna jinx or say anything because he's already just steadily improving in every single way. Or that's what it's feeling like.

I'm curious to see if he's going to be, ultimately, better than Tatum.

I feel like Tatum's potential is more volatile than Brown's. Brown's game just seems more certain and thought-through, whereas I feel Jason's relies a lil more on his crazy talent and instinct, if that makes sense.

That's kinda why I too believe Brown will increase in his playmaking ability.

I really really really hope we manage to keep these two guys here for their entire careers.

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2021, 03:36:03 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Homeless man's late 90s Michael Jordan who swaps better shooting for less insane physical gifts would be my prediction of his ceiling. Floor would be a more refined version of the Jaylen Brown we're seeing right now.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2021, 03:44:53 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

You didn't see his floater game coming this soon? I thought one of the ways he could improve this season is to swap some of those short midrange shots for his floater (he didn't use it as much at the start of the season, but he threw in some decent ones every now and then that had decent touch and range) to make his game more unpredictable in the second level when he couldn't shoot or finish at the rim immediately.

And yeah I think both of the Jays are going to be All-NBA calibre wings, not sure on them becoming MVP level centrepieces but I weirdly prefer Jaylen's chances of reaching that high end scenario in his development.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2021, 04:34:45 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Floor Butler, Ceiling Pippen

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2021, 05:50:14 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
1% Ceiling: LeBron
Likely ceiling: Klay Thompson
Floor: 2019-2020 Jaylen Brown

Jimmy Butler is a better facilitator, defender, and slasher. But Jaylen shoots the three a lot better than Jimmy.

The Dwyane Wade comp is interesting. I can see some of it.

People forget how could of passer Wade was. 7.5 apg at 25 years old.

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2021, 09:48:07 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Homeless man's late 90s Michael Jordan who swaps better shooting for less insane physical gifts would be my prediction of his ceiling. Floor would be a more refined version of the Jaylen Brown we're seeing right now.

Jaylen is nearly as good an athlete as Jordan was, and is almost exactly the same size. The big difference is the hands, which Jordan used to great advantage. Obviously Jordan's offensive instincts and competitiveness were several levels higher. Jaylen will never approach the level Jordan reached, but he is competitive and does show a capacity to grow.

One thing they share in common is unusually great lateral quickness for a guy that long and strong. One of the core reasons why Jordan was so successful was that he was incredible at exploiting lateral quickness inside of 15 feet of the rim. He would get into the lane and slide left or right to daylight. Even the incredible big men of that era needed to load up a bit to block his shot, and by changing directions laterally in the lane, he disabled them from doing so. He was deadly with the short shots and got them whenever he wanted. Paul Pierce also did this, but with less quickness.

Jaylen can do exactly the same thing. He has done some of this stuff this year. He has everything in his toolkit necessary to expand on that, and he can get those shots 10 feet and in whenever he wants if he continues to improve at those moves.

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2021, 09:55:24 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I think people are comparing Brown to the wrong players.

LeBron, Pippen, Wade are all elite passers, which is a skill set you don’t just ‘learn’.

For me the players Brown should be compared to are Paul George, Jimmy Butler, Gerald Wallace, Jason Richardson. I think Richardson especially is a forgotten star because he was playing in an era with Kobe Bryant, Ray Allen & Tracy McGrady at the shooting guard position.

But I guess if you were looking for an absolute best case scenario for Jaylen, perhaps Dominique Wilkins is a close comp for his natural skill set.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 10:19:22 AM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2021, 10:34:04 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Floor Butler, Ceiling Pippen

Agreed on the ceiling. As someone who followed a lot of 90s bulls due to the Celtics being ... you know, I’ve been amazed at the similarities on Jaylens good days.

I’m not sure we can assign a floor to an already proven person. Like what does that even mean ? Isn’t his floor what he currently is?

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2021, 11:07:57 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
When the trade discussions come up, the issue was always wrapped around this one element of Brown's game....

Defense...If you subtract Brown from the Celtics in favor of another player? Can this guy match Brown on defense?

Celtics are switch heavy....so Brown or Smart or whomever end up on Embiid or Doncic or Jimmy or whomever. Brown covers opposing centers all the time and he's good.

I think his ceiling is top 10 and his floor is top 20 which is where he seems to be headed now.

Watch his first two Summer Leagues. He didn't know how to dribble and his hands were worthless around the rim. I guess he cleared up this problems didn't he?

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2021, 12:35:04 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Dwayne Wade in his fifth year was a much better playmaker, defender, and got to the line twice as much as Brown.
Jaylen Brown in his 5th year is a better shooter from 2 and a much better shooter from 3 than Wade was (the major weakness of Wade's game). Brown has a TS% of 59.3 in his fifth year vs Wade's 54.9 which is a significant difference in efficiency. Because of his FT attempts and assists, Wade's PER was a point higher than Browns is.

Wade's defense would have given Wade the edge, but he was 26 and 2 years older in his fifth year and in his prime years. Brown's got two years to get to 26. Wade also was a player starting in year one and much more productive earlier than Brown, but again, he was two years older after coming into the NBA after a fine college career at Marquette.

Brown's two inches taller, but about the same weight as Wade. Wade's body type is closer to Smart's as I recall him. Also don't recall Wade as being anywhere as close as far as athleticism. Got to the line a lot though. I really don't really see that much of a resemblance based on my memories of Wade's game, but it's fun to try to figure out a comp.