Author Topic: Jabari? UPDATE: Jabari!  (Read 33801 times)

Re: Jabari?
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2021, 01:23:36 AM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
2 year deal and Wagner was released

Knowing Danny it's one of those 2 year deals where the 2nd year isn't guaranteed and so can be used in trade during the summer as a contract someone can take on and cut to save cap space.

They actually changed the rule about non-guaranteed salary.  Now, only guaranteed salary counts for trade matching purposes.

I’m glad we made this move.  Jabari is a legit NBA scorer.

^^ This ^^
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2021, 01:43:48 AM »

Kiorrik

For those of you wanting a quick overview of Jabari Parker's history, here a  Youtube vid :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo90Qg6bxfg

« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2021, 02:37:21 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Low-risk, high-reward type player. He just never got real minutes by the teams he's played for.

If he can put up points and grab rebounds, then he'll be a solid pickup even if he's a player #9 or #10 on your team. Much better than the trash like Edwards, Ojeleye, Waters, or Wagner.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2021, 02:53:27 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I can’t imagine him getting PT under CBS. The guy can’t/doesn’t want to play defense.

From a roster construction though, I think it’s a really good pick up. Benches need role players and this guy strikes me as someone who can get buckets in limited minutes. Fournier is another guy who can do that and this should only help the team.
- LilRip

« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2021, 03:01:56 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2021, 03:53:42 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Love it.. got to shake up this bench.. get rid of Carson, Waters and Grant also

You forgot to add Tacko to that list. Why couldn’t they have cut one of those Bums who have no upside and kept Wagner to see if he developed into a useful NBA players. He’s 6’11” 245 lbs and is just 23 years old.

Tacko and Waters are two way players and occupy no roster spot

« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2021, 04:11:58 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Love it.. got to shake up this bench.. get rid of Carson, Waters and Grant also

Posts like this make it hard to take you seriously.

Yeah. Esp since there's no reason to get rid of Waters because he is a 2 way player. Shows extreme lack of knowledge here

« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2021, 05:01:05 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
He should push Semi and Grant down the rotation but not out completely. I see a solid 15 min player. He could feel it certain games and you play him 22 minutes etc. I'd slot him behind Tatum next year. If I was BS I'd try to get him a lot of time next 4 games to see if he can contribute now and pick up the system before playoffs. If he can than Id move him behind Tatum now. Just don't expect BS to make the move this year unless he shines in his first four games.

« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2021, 06:19:44 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Fournier, Langford, Kornet, and Parker have been added to TT, PP, GW and Semi.   All will see minutes in the playoffs as either rotation guys or injury/foul coverage or situations. To me every one is an NBA player - I think the G-league hyperbole isn’t necessary.  1 is legit starter quality.   3 (PP, RL, TT) are decent backups capable of being consistent contributors.  The rest (outside of Parker) have made occasional contributions this year and can play situational roles without costing the team (presuming those roles don’t require significant minutes). 

All in all, if the starters can accomplish not falling behind by double-digits, I think the bench is OK.   I wish JP could shoot the 3 better, but he possibly adds some value to this bench.

Would be great if someone could post a bench to bench comparison with the top teams in the East and West. 

« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2021, 07:46:36 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 572
Now sign IT and waive Edwards and maybe you got a bench

« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2021, 07:59:06 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
A worthy read from... Celtics Blog

https://www.celticsblog.com/2021/4/16/22388722/what-jabari-parker-might-bring-to-the-boston-celtics

Good read. I almost forgot how CBS has this magic touch to rehab guys who look like busts, like an Evan Turner (or even Jordan Crawford). Hopefully he can have the same impact on Jabari. The talent is there, but he just has never been able to put things together.

- LilRip

« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2021, 08:09:21 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The rest (outside of Parker) have made occasional contributions this year and can play situational roles without costing the team (presuming those roles don’t require significant minutes).

This is true occasional contributions and they have hurt us frequently too.  But your right about situational minutes.   It's not their fault they were thrust into roles above their talent level.

He should push Semi and Grant down the rotation but not out completely.

I hope this happens and the talent is there to do this but is the will? If he is better then  I feel that guys like Semi and Grant don't hold a claim on minutes.  Their production is so low in the minutes played they should be replaced completely and we don't owe them any minutes.   You want to play get better.  It is too early to say how he will help us.

« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2021, 08:11:10 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
Time management and strategic usage are crucial for him to be efficient and healthy. I hope he stays away from getting too eager of forcing shots above the rim.

« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2021, 08:50:46 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Most of us are probably thinking of peak Jabari, which he hasn't been for a number of seasons now. Don't expect too much.

He's just been ravaged by injury, two ACLs, and an assortment of other ones. He hasn't been able to get on the court the last few seasons so his best years are definitely behind him. But given all we had to do was give up Wagner, it's definitely a good gamble to make. If Jabari doesn't work out we don't really lose anything. And all he has to do is be better than Wagner who was worse than useless so it's an easy bar to meet. He'll be able to fill a role, just not the one that people might be envisioning from him based on his peak history.

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2021, 09:35:18 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
It’s worth noting that he looked pretty good in the bubble. I don’t have too high of expectations. I do hope that he could be a garbage time guy that keeps leads and keeps the starters off the court.