Author Topic: Jabari? UPDATE: Jabari!  (Read 33826 times)

Re: Jabari?
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2021, 08:59:15 PM »

Online tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
He will compete with Grant (and Semi) for back up minutes at the 4 slot.

I think in the short-term he's competing to show he can even stay on the court at all.  He's played 105 minutes of basketball in the last 16 months.  He's not going to compete for Grant's role any time soon.  This is as much an audition for next year, with the hope he can get into enough shape if a matchup presents itself in the postseason.

Brad has no choice.  The cs have no bench scoring.  Parker and Fournier will help tremendously.  Hopefully Brad works his magic getting the best out of players who have underperformed.

« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2021, 08:59:20 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The reactions that are going to come from a section of the fanbase when Grant Williams keeps getting consistent minutes and Parker gets very little, should make for some really angry game threads and other new threads.

I just hope that Brad uses him.  I suspect he will; he uses Edwards.  Jabari doesn't deserve 20 minutes per night, but in certain games he could be really useful.

That said, we'll be lucky if he has the impact that Teague did.
I'm not expecting a lot, but as you said, during certain games he could be useful, especially given the team's lack of players that give you consistent scoring off the bench.

Sure, a lot of that should get fixed when Fournier returns, but Jabari could add another guy that can do that. Could. Possibly. Maybe. We will see. My expectations are fairly low.

« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2021, 09:08:04 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Good low risk move by Danny.

I can't help but think that this move might not have happened if it meant that one of Danny's roster filler draftees had to be cut instead of Wagner.

« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2021, 09:08:36 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Shooting with size.

He’s shooting under 30% from three over his last three seasons (105 games).  Scoring with size, maybe, but not shooting.

I didn't say makes with size.... ;D

« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2021, 09:08:54 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
To see the #6 pick of the 2014 draft class doing so much better than the #2 pick of the 2014 class.

Now both are on the same team.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2021, 09:11:35 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
The reactions that are going to come from a section of the fanbase when Grant Williams keeps getting consistent minutes and Parker gets very little, should make for some really angry game threads and other new threads.

I just hope that Brad uses him.  I suspect he will; he uses Edwards.  Jabari doesn't deserve 20 minutes per night, but in certain games he could be really useful.

I'm not expecting a lot, but as you said, during certain games he could be useful, especially given the team's lack of players that give you consistent scoring off the bench.

Sure, a lot of that should get fixed when Fournier returns, but Jabari could add another guy that can do that. Could. Possibly. Maybe. We will see. My expectations are fairly low.

Brads a better coach than Luke Walton. Maybe coaching could add something, maybe, possibly...

« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2021, 09:13:22 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
To see the #6 pick of the 2014 draft class doing so much better than the #2 pick of the 2014 class.

Picks #8 and #9 are also free agents. 

« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2021, 09:15:03 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Maybe Brad will get the best out of him and he becomes the new Michael Beasley. All offense spark with no defense who might be able to play on some second units. Maybe give him enough value to be able to use him as trade chip.

Or....he could just sit at the end of the bench and never play.

« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2021, 09:15:07 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Picks #8 and #9 are also free agents.

Yikes, I liked both those guys coming out....

« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2021, 09:16:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Brads a better coach than Luke Walton. Maybe coaching could add something, maybe, possibly...
He has played with a lot of teams and under a bunch of coaches. It's interesting that when he changed teams his scoring efficiency went up and down, depending on the team. So you may be on to something regarding which coaches he plays for and in what systems. Unfortunately, his defense has been awful no matter where he went.

« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2021, 09:18:14 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
Really don’t know about this player. Judging from his bubble highlights, he looks overweight and totally stripped of all lateral quickness and agility. People who are remembering him from his Bucks days need to understand this is not the same guy.

Maybe he can give you some scoring punch in short bursts off the bench, but I have no more faith in that than I would in Wagner to serve as a high energy hustle guy who can be useful when your team comes out flat. I’m just not going to get excited about this until I see something that gives me cause for excitement.

« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2021, 09:18:23 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

He has played with a lot of teams and under a bunch of coaches. It's interesting that when he changed teams his scoring efficiency went up and down, depending on the team. So you may be on to something regarding which coaches he plays for and in what systems. Unfortunately, his defense has been awful no matter where he went.

Brad shows him the contracts that Kelly and Evan Turner got and maybe he busts his ass!!!  ;D

« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2021, 09:18:44 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I think in the short-term he's competing to show he can even stay on the court at all.  He's played 105 minutes of basketball in the last 16 months.  He's not going to compete for Grant's role any time soon.  This is as much an audition for next year, with the hope he can get into enough shape if a matchup presents itself in the postseason.

Exactly. I don't expect him to make a serious run for anyone's minutes this season. He just hasn't been good in the few minutes he's played. This is Danny taking a flyer on a player he liked in the draft a few years ago.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2021, 09:20:34 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Exactly. I don't expect him to make a serious run for anyone's minutes this season. He just hasn't been good in the few minutes he's played. This is Danny taking a flyer on a player he liked in the draft a few years ago.

Maybe lites a fire under bench dudes?

« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2021, 09:30:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Just remembered. He's another Dukie. Tatum must approve!!!!