Author Topic: Useless bench players  (Read 7214 times)

Re: Useless bench players
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2021, 05:53:32 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I really hate watching Grant Williams. Please get him off the team this summer.

The last 12 games G-League Williams is putting up these numbers per 36 minutes:

4.6 PPG / 4.2 REB / 1.6 ASS / 1.8 TOV / 1.0 STL / 0.3 BLK / 5.0 PF at a whooping league-worst 28% FG% !!!!!

« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2021, 12:34:01 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I’ve been a Grant defender, because I think his detractors ignore his good plays to focus on the bad. But I have to say he’s testing me. There was a lot of bad last night. Going to reserve judgment until he has a real off season with training camp, but my sights are lower.

To me, the issue isn’t his physical limitations; it’s that he seems to lose confidence and focus. He looks afraid to shoot and doesn’t know what play to make. Maybe he can clean that up, maybe not.

« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2021, 01:26:55 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I’ve been a Grant defender, because I think his detractors ignore his good plays to focus on the bad. But I have to say he’s testing me. There was a lot of bad last night. Going to reserve judgment until he has a real off season with training camp, but my sights are lower.

To me, the issue isn’t his physical limitations; it’s that he seems to lose confidence and focus. He looks afraid to shoot and doesn’t know what play to make. Maybe he can clean that up, maybe not.

Please rewatch the highlights for Chicago.  Start at the 5:56 Mark.  He is involved in 50% of their scores.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjTEtd9LonA

I would add his physical limitations are a factor whether you think it or not.   He is a short 6-6 and if you watch the video you can see Markannen blow by him like  he is not even moving.

In the last two games here are some stats to make you think

Grant  46 min  9 pts and 4rebounds on 3-14 shooting FG  1-7 from the three

Parker  32 min  19 pts. and 5 rebounds 9-13 shooting FG  0-2 from the three

Now what is interesting is Jabari seems to be on a 16 minute limitation in terms of minutes and maybe that is by design or maybe not.   But the production is far superior.

Grant is playing harder too in terms of effort.  That may make him even more mistake prone as he is pressing because of Parker.    He is a smart guy and knows what it means when the team brings a veteran at your position it means they do not like the depth there.  Trying to be what you are not rarely works well in sports.  More often it decreases value rather than builds it.  This is the same thing that gets Marcus in trouble when he over shoots the ball.