Author Topic: Warriors (28-28) at Celtics (30-26) Game #57 4/17/21  (Read 37584 times)

Re: Warriors (28-28) at Celtics (30-26) Game #57 4/17/21
« Reply #705 on: April 18, 2021, 11:17:37 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Jay King @ByJayKing

Brad Stevens suggesting it’s not rocket science why the Celtics have played better lately: “Well again, I think the number one reason for our little run here is we've been, for the most part, healthier.”

This will be a revelation to many here.

Which games have they been healthy for during this winning streak? Seems like they are always missing 1-2 key players. Tonight they were missing two starters with Jaylen and Rob as well as their best bench player in Fournier. If Tatum didn’t play like a superstar and put the team on his back, this is a loss.

He a) qualified it as “for the most part”, and more importantly b) players can be not fully healthy but still playing.  Kemba has looked much healthier the last few weeks — he’s able to penetrate again, which is huge.  Tatum has obviously had a long road back from Covid, even though he missed a minimal amount of time.  Brown’s performance took a dip in February after his injury, but has seemed to regain his explosiveness in the last month.  Smart also is now more than a month returned and likely much closer to 100%. 

All we know as fans is who sits and who doesn’t, and if we pay a little extra attention, who’s listed on injury reports.  But we don’t know how those guys are looking to the training staff, or feeling when they’re on the court.  An extra 5-10% of energy/ability makes a world of difference in games that are decided in the final minutes, which we’ve recently started to go from losing to winning.

Right, but doesn’t this describe the majority of teams in the NBA? No ones completely healthy. All teams have to deal with issues caused by Covid.

No one has been hit harder by COVID than the Cs and it hasn't been close according to the number of player games lost. Before EF got hit I read we had a 20 lost player game lead on the next closest team and more than the ten least affected teams combined. Load in all the normal injuries and managing rotations becomes impossible except for armchair coaches.

« Reply #706 on: April 18, 2021, 11:20:23 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Jay King @ByJayKing

Brad Stevens suggesting it’s not rocket science why the Celtics have played better lately: “Well again, I think the number one reason for our little run here is we've been, for the most part, healthier.”

Which games have they been healthy for during this winning streak? Seems like they are always missing 1-2 key players. Tonight they were missing two starters with Jaylen and Rob as well as their best bench player in Fournier. If Tatum didn’t play like a superstar and put the team on his back, this is a loss.

He a) qualified it as “for the most part”, and more importantly b) players can be not fully healthy but still playing.  Kemba has looked much healthier the last few weeks — he’s able to penetrate again, which is huge.  Tatum has obviously had a long road back from Covid, even though he missed a minimal amount of time.  Brown’s performance took a dip in February after his injury, but has seemed to regain his explosiveness in the last month.  Smart also is now more than a month returned and likely much closer to 100%. 

All we know as fans is who sits and who doesn’t, and if we pay a little extra attention, who’s listed on injury reports.  But we don’t know how those guys are looking to the training staff, or feeling when they’re on the court.  An extra 5-10% of energy/ability makes a world of difference in games that are decided in the final minutes, which we’ve recently started to go from losing to winning.

Right, but doesn’t this describe the majority of teams in the NBA? No ones completely healthy. All teams have to deal with issues caused by Covid.

The Celtics have lost something like 30% more player days to Covid than the next most-affected team, so no, no one has had to deal with Covid like the Celtics.  And if you look at the teams ahead of the Celtics in the standings, and the other presumed contenders, the Celtics have absolutely had to deal with more injuries than practically all of them.  They've had 16 different players start, and 25 starting lineups in 57 games.  Their most-used starting lineup has only played 10 games (and it had Theis, so it's not even relevant any more.  Our most-frequent starting lineup with players still on the roster is Walker-Smart-Brown-Tatum-Timelord, which has been seen 7 times and resulted in a 6-1 record).  Compare that to Philly (24 games with its most-common starting lineup, 20-4 record), Milwaukee (32 games, 22-10 record), Utah (41 games, 29-12), Phoenix (34 G, 25-9), Clippers (19 G, 14-5), Lakers (20 G, 15-5).  Only Brooklyn is really in the same conversation as the C's in terms of rotating starting lineups (their most frequent lineup has started 12 times together, but doesn't include all of Kyrie, Harden, and KD.)

« Reply #707 on: April 18, 2021, 11:28:25 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436
Jay King @ByJayKing

No one has been hit harder by COVID than the Cs and it hasn't been close according to the number of player games lost. Before EF got hit I read we had a 20 lost player game lead on the next closest team and more than the ten least affected teams combined. Load in all the normal injuries and managing rotations becomes impossible except for armchair coaches.

Sure, but some teams have been hit harder by injuries than the C’s. Whether players are missing due to Covid or Injury doesn’t really matter. The players are still missing those games.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #708 on: April 18, 2021, 12:20:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Mangameslost.com have the Celtics having around the 7th highest amount of games lost this year due to injury and the C's have the 5th most wins lost due to injury with over 6 games.

Spotrac confirms the position at 7th.

« Reply #709 on: April 18, 2021, 12:29:22 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Mangameslost.com have the Celtics having around the 7th highest amount of games lost this year due to injury and the C's have the 5th most wins lost due to injury with over 6 games.

Does the mangameslost data include Covid? What teams have been more affected?

In any case, even if it does we won't know who other than Tatum and Nunn who have been affected by long-Covid and Tatum's a top-10 player.

« Reply #710 on: April 18, 2021, 12:50:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

In any case, even if it does we won't know who other than Tatum and Nunn who have been affected by long-Covid and Tatum's a top-10 player.
I believe the numbers include Covid.

But you have to remember, some teams have last huge amount of player games due to injury. Like Orlando has missed the most player games by far but they have had like Issac and Fultz miss the whole season due to injury and Anthony, Bamba, Aminu,and Carter-Williams all miss 24 or more games due to injury.

Boston by comparison, other than Covid, haven't missed a ton of games due only to injury. Yes there is Kemba and Smart, but other than that, most guys haven't had bad injuries forcing them out for long periods. It's mostly been Covid.

« Reply #711 on: April 18, 2021, 01:51:05 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Jay King @ByJayKing

yeah, I dont get that comment from Stevens. we legit were missing 3 top guys last night and have been missing at least someone for the past week or two.

I think if anything its better defenive/offensive effort from the players. Guys are engaged on defense, and are moving the ball on offense to get better shots.

Easier for the coach to blame injuries rather than admit his own shortcomings.

« Reply #712 on: April 18, 2021, 02:19:28 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

I believe the numbers include Covid.

But you have to remember, some teams have last huge amount of player games due to injury. Like Orlando has missed the most player games by far but they have had like Issac and Fultz miss the whole season due to injury and Anthony, Bamba, Aminu,and Carter-Williams all miss 24 or more games due to injury.

Boston by comparison, other than Covid, haven't missed a ton of games due only to injury. Yes there is Kemba and Smart, but other than that, most guys haven't had bad injuries forcing them out for long periods. It's mostly been Covid.

Yes, but ORL was at best a play-in candidate. What about the other top teams from 2019-20 if you don't mind sharing the team names only (I didn't want to spend the $59 being a Scot.)

« Reply #713 on: April 18, 2021, 04:53:25 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
I don't think you can deny that COVID and injuries have certainly hurt Boston this season. And yeah, I don't expect everything to just get fixed by the playoffs. But I think last night showed that as long as they can stay healthy and the guys get back to their identity (which is hustle plays), they could still be capable of a deep run. PHI and BKN have injury issues to sort out which will be interesting to monitor. And I still think Fournier will be a huge addition for our bench.

To essentially match red-hot Curry last night was impressive from Tatum, and boy did they need that. Kemba doesn't have to be a superstar, but if he can play like last night and just hit some shots, we're good.

Don't be fooled, Golden State is still a good team (not elite, but good), and they were desperate last night as they fight for a playoff spot. That was a good win and a good one to continue to build off of.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #714 on: April 18, 2021, 05:02:14 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I don't think you can deny that COVID and injuries have certainly hurt Boston this season. And yeah, I don't expect everything to just get fixed by the playoffs. But I think last night showed that as long as they can stay healthy and the guys get back to their identity (which is hustle plays), they could still be capable of a deep run. PHI and BKN have injury issues to sort out which will be interesting to monitor. And I still think Fournier will be a huge addition for our bench.

To essentially match red-hot Curry last night was impressive from Tatum, and boy did they need that. Kemba doesn't have to be a superstar, but if he can play like last night and just hit some shots, we're good.

Don't be fooled, Golden State is still a good team (not elite, but good), and they were desperate last night as they fight for a playoff spot. That was a good win and a good one to continue to build off of.

They had two starters and a lead bench guy out..if injury was the issue they should have lost yesterday. Injury was not the issue. The bench sucked before the deadline.

« Reply #715 on: April 18, 2021, 05:42:40 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436

They had two starters and a lead bench guy out..if injury was the issue they should have lost yesterday. Injury was not the issue. The bench sucked before the deadline.

Exactly. If Tatum had an average game yesterday and scored 26 points, C’s lose by double digits. Luckily for Boston, Jayson has taken his game to another level and over the last 5 games he is averaging 34.2ppg.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #716 on: April 18, 2021, 06:44:30 PM »

Kiorrik

You guys see Steve Kerr's postgame?

Kinda enjoyed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftnjw-jJ7xI

« Reply #717 on: April 18, 2021, 06:48:34 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
My only contribution to the injury/lineup discussion is:

Walker
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Robert

Fournier
Thompson

With adjustments I'm sure, the above is essentially the Celtic's playoff rotation.

That is a very tough lineup in a playoff game and, for a dozen reasons including Fournier getting here a few weeks ago, they haven't played together as a complete group for more than a game or two.

Things are happening now and, I think beating the GS'ers without Brown, Fournier, "smart" Marcus Smart and Robert is an indication of the Celtic's "improved depth."

I was despondent, as we all were, when they just went back to being awful after the all star break as it was the same bunch that played lights out in the bubble. It wasn't like the big three didn't know how to play together.

We had started to talk about draft picks. we already spent a decade on draft picks.

Finally as announced by fellow posters?

It is the dawn of the Jabari Parker era in Boston.