Author Topic: Is Len Bias really as good as Bill Simmons says he is?  (Read 14275 times)

Re: Is Len Bias really as good as Bill Simmons says he is?
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2021, 07:27:36 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3174
And the next year we drafted Reggie Lewis

Things just kept getting worse for the Celtics. Then we finally caught a break and Paul Pearce fell to us and then was stabbed and they barely missed his heart. That's what made 2008 so special. Coming back from all the bad luck from 86 onward. Bias was an absolute monster NBA player who never got to play. I believe his floor was Dominic and his ceiling was Jordan. So big and so athletic.

"NBA Board of Governors, which denied a Celtics' request for compensation in the matter of Reggie Lewis' salary cap case. At the time of his death July 27, Lewis was making $3.3 million and entering the third year of a five-year contract worth nearly $15 million."

« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2021, 07:41:55 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Also, Brad Daugherty was Cleveland’s No 1 pick in 86.  They needed or wanted a starting center. I think Daugherty was a skilled 7 footer.  He played with Jordan a UNC.
as the story goes, Red told the Cleveland rep at the draft drawing that if they didn't take Daugherty, he would which was his masterful way of getting Bias to drop to him at #2.

Color me highly skeptical. Daughtery and Bias were considered as tossups for the first pick, but with the Chief and Walton on the dominant 1986 team, Bias was the obvious pick for us to anyone looking from the outside. Daughtery was 7 feet and turned into a 5-time all-star. He would have had more if he remained healthy, but he retired at the age of 28 with a chronic bad back. He was an excellent first pick as expected except for injuries.

I was was heavily into college ball as well as the Cs back then and I and the Cs' fans I knew were ecstatic with the Bias selection and I was more sure of it than any pick we've had since including Tatum, who was my binky when he got drafted. Only Bird was a surer thing in my mind and I go back to the early 60s following the Cs.

« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2021, 07:53:56 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Also, Brad Daugherty was Cleveland’s No 1 pick in 86.  They needed or wanted a starting center. I think Daugherty was a skilled 7 footer.  He played with Jordan a UNC.
as the story goes, Red told the Cleveland rep at the draft drawing that if they didn't take Daugherty, he would which was his masterful way of getting Bias to drop to him at #2.

Color me highly skeptical. Daughtery and Bias were considered as tossups for the first pick, but with the Chief and Walton on the dominant 1986 team, Bias was the obvious pick for us to anyone looking from the outside. Daughtery was 7 feet and turned into a 5-time all-star. He would have had more if he remained healthy, but he retired at the age of 28 with a chronic bad back. He was an excellent first pick as expected except for injuries.

I was was heavily into college ball as well as the Cs back then and I and the Cs' fans I knew were ecstatic with the Bias selection and I was more sure of it than any pick we've had since including Tatum, who was my binky when he got drafted. Only Bird was a surer thing in my mind and I go back to the early 60s following the Cs.
I feel like Red might have been expecting the Chief to age like a normal human being, and not be a starting calibre big into his 40s. Could have factored into it
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2021, 07:54:19 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
And the next year we drafted Reggie Lewis

Things just kept getting worse for the Celtics. Then we finally caught a break and Paul Pearce fell to us and then was stabbed and they barely missed his heart. That's what made 2008 so special. Coming back from all the bad luck from 86 onward. Bias was an absolute monster NBA player who never got to play. I believe his floor was Dominic and his ceiling was Jordan. So big and so athletic.

"NBA Board of Governors, which denied a Celtics' request for compensation in the matter of Reggie Lewis' salary cap case. At the time of his death July 27, Lewis was making $3.3 million and entering the third year of a five-year contract worth nearly $15 million."

tP....all this about did me in with NBA .....I needed a long break , people dying is just not fun , ANd I NEEDED HAPPY wAYs to spend my youth.

« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2021, 08:27:05 PM »

Offline Bostonborn62

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Hustle like Cowens or have a seat
One of my brothers saw Len Bias at the Celtics summer camp when Len was I think a Sophomore and he came home raving about this college kid who was dominating everyone on the court. I always wished I was there with him that summer.   Such a shame .

« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2021, 11:05:21 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I feel like Red might have been expecting the Chief to age like a normal human being, and not be a starting calibre big into his 40s. Could have factored into it
agreed.  if Cleveland had taken Bias instead, no way Red would have passed on Daugherty.  you don't pass on a talent like that just because you have other good players at that position.  besides, the story about Red was mentioned by several sources

« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2021, 11:53:26 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Every time I look at that draft, I really think man that sure is the What If draft of What If drafts

Bias, Washburn, Tarpley, and Bedford all had major drug problems.

Daugherty retired at 28 because of chronic back issues.

Sabonis didn't come to the league until he was a shell of himself.

Petrovic (a 3rd rounder) obviously died tragically. 

The 3 best NBA careers were probably all 2nd round picks - Rodman, Price, Hornacek (they had the 3 highest WS).  Duckworth was also a 2nd round pick.  Those 4 all made at least 1 all star team and the only 1st rounder to do that was Daugherty. 

Just a super strange and frankly sad draft all the way around. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2021, 11:54:03 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1370
A stronger James Worthy?

Unfortunately none of us will ever know.  :(
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2021, 08:57:03 PM »

Offline IllalwayslikeHavlicek

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 7

我不会说英语(我是中国人)。 我用翻译表达自己。 如有语法问题,请见谅 ; D ; D ; D

English translation from IllalwayslikeHavlicek:

‘I don't speak English (I am Chinese). I use translation to express myself. If you (I) have any grammar problems, please forgive me’
You know Chinese? Not questioning your translation, it's correct, just curious lol.

当然,我会中文(笑)。
Of course, I can speak Chinese (haha)

« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2021, 05:53:02 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
My understanding from various interviews was that Bias was good enough to challenge Jordan for supremacy during the 90's. We would have repeated in '87 and Red would have built a team around Len Bias & Reggie Lewis for the next Celtics
era, - 60's, 70's, 80's all had their separate title groups and the 90's would have continued that pattern. We have not been the same franchise since the loss of Len Bias. Lewis' death a few years later just compounded the damage. Imagine the Lakers if James Worthy had somehow died right after being drafted and then maybe Byron Scott was lost a few years later. I view Reggie Lewis as easily better than Scott, but you get my point.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2021, 07:47:40 AM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1799
Not sure what prompted you to revive this thread, but I had this to say a while back...

Quote from: Silas on April 14, 2021, 11:33:38 AM

I don’t know what Simmons had to say about Bias.  Being a Maryland bball fan, I watched Bias his whole career at Md.  He had amazing jumping abilities but came out of high school with only a great jump shot.  At 6’8” his shot was difficult to guard or block.  Early on he wasn’t strong and had problems finishing at the rim.  By the time he was entering his final year at Md he had become an all around player and was unstoppable.  I watched Jordan at NC and always felt Bias during his last year was bigger, stronger, and had a much better shot.  If he had not been into drugs and had played with Bird and the rest, he could have been an equal to Jordan if not better.

I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2021, 11:41:15 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I went into a mild state of depression, I watched him like a hawk in college and was sky high when he was drafted by Boston. 

« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2021, 09:13:23 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If he had not been into drugs and had played with Bird and the rest, he could have been an equal to Jordan if not better.

Wasn't this a one time thing for the drugs.   I always heard it was the first time he tried cocaine.

« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2021, 09:22:22 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Not sure what prompted you to revive this thread, but I had this to say a while back...

Quote from: Silas on April 14, 2021, 11:33:38 AM

I don’t know what Simmons had to say about Bias.  Being a Maryland bball fan, I watched Bias his whole career at Md.  He had amazing jumping abilities but came out of high school with only a great jump shot.  At 6’8” his shot was difficult to guard or block.  Early on he wasn’t strong and had problems finishing at the rim.  By the time he was entering his final year at Md he had become an all around player and was unstoppable.  I watched Jordan at NC and always felt Bias during his last year was bigger, stronger, and had a much better shot.  If he had not been into drugs and had played with Bird and the rest, he could have been an equal to Jordan if not better.

You could say at that point in time that Jordan was the better slasher, faster and quicker.   It’s sad though that we never got to see how good Bias would have been.

« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2021, 10:33:08 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
If he had not been into drugs and had played with Bird and the rest, he could have been an equal to Jordan if not better.

Wasn't this a one time thing for the drugs.   I always heard it was the first time he tried cocaine.
Later reporting has basically said this was not the case.  He wasn't heavy into drugs, but it wasn't a one time thing either.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip