Author Topic: Idea: Kelly Olynyk back for the MLE in the offseason?  (Read 6503 times)

Re: Idea: Kelly Olynyk back for the MLE in the offseason?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2021, 04:47:32 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
If Olynyk keeps on playing like this he's getting way more than the MLE in the offseason.

Kelly will get paid by someone. 10-12 million per. Bigs that can shoot and pass are too valuable.
Who is giving KO more than the MLE?  He doesn't do much for non-contending type teams and the contenders don't have cap space.  I mean is a bad team really going to pay KO more than MLE to basically not improve them at all.  I guess he'd make sense on the Pelicans, but I suspect they are spending their money on other things.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2021, 05:00:00 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
If Olynyk keeps on playing like this he's getting way more than the MLE in the offseason.

Kelly will get paid by someone. 10-12 million per. Bigs that can shoot and pass are too valuable.
Who is giving KO more than the MLE?  He doesn't do much for non-contending type teams and the contenders don't have cap space.  I mean is a bad team really going to pay KO more than MLE to basically not improve them at all.  I guess he'd make sense on the Pelicans, but I suspect they are spending their money on other things.

Miami gave him 12, right?

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2021, 05:16:53 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

When he was 26 and all teams had a bunch of cap room because of the cap spikes.  And of course Miami was a playoff team and figured it had the pieces to become a contender. 

I'm not saying it won't happen, I'm just saying I think it is unlikely he gets more than the MLE this time.  All it takes is one team though, so who knows.

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2021, 05:19:58 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

When he was 26 and all teams had a bunch of cap room because of the cap spikes.  And of course Miami was a playoff team and figured it had the pieces to become a contender. 

I'm not saying it won't happen, I'm just saying I think it is unlikely he gets more than the MLE this time.  All it takes is one team though, so who knows.

The only team that I could see you doing it is Houston, giving him a one year deal over the MLE.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2021, 06:27:48 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Hopefully not on Celtics

SOFT ......called him

Mr Charmin

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2021, 07:09:43 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Kelly's only 29 now. Someone will pay him. Gordon Hayward is a 31 year old injury prone player who got a max contract for 4 years. I never thought that would happen.

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2021, 07:20:00 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Kelly's only 29 now. Someone will pay him. Gordon Hayward is a 31 year old injury prone player who got a max contract for 4 years. I never thought that would happen.
Hayward is a significantly better player than Olynyk though.  Not even close.  KO is a back-up big man.  He is useful and has a role, but he isn't the type of guy you give big money to because he doesn't do anything at an elite level, isn't young, etc.  Every team in the league could use KO, but I really don't think anyone is going to pay him a lot of money because he isn't going to move a team up a tier (i.e. no one is advancing further in the playoffs, winning appreciably more games, etc. with KO than without him) and basically none of the contenders will have more than the MLE (and the contenders really are the teams that could use him).

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2021, 10:10:09 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Hayward is a significantly better player than Olynyk though.  Not even close.  KO is a back-up big man.  He is useful and has a role, but he isn't the type of guy you give big money to because he doesn't do anything at an elite level, isn't young, etc.  Every team in the league could use KO, but I really don't think anyone is going to pay him a lot of money because he isn't going to move a team up a tier (i.e. no one is advancing further in the playoffs, winning appreciably more games, etc. with KO than without him) and basically none of the contenders will have more than the MLE (and the contenders really are the teams that could use him).

Hayward is way better than Kelly no doubt but the best ability is availability. I wouldn't give Hayward the Max and expect him to play most of his game for that contract but my point was someone will almost always over pay.

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2021, 10:28:44 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

True... If H*yw*rd can essentially take 3 seasons off and get the max Olynyk is likely going to get overpaid as well.

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2021, 11:15:16 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Hayward is way better than Kelly no doubt but the best ability is availability. I wouldn't give Hayward the Max and expect him to play most of his game for that contract but my point was someone will almost always over pay.
Who with cap space is going to pay KO more than the MLE?  That is always the question. 

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2021, 01:07:37 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

The only team that I could see you doing it is Houston, giving him a one year deal over the MLE.
Charlotte? I see them handing a big short term deal to Olynyk to help boost their FA stock so they can pair a star next to LaMelo/Rozier/Hayward in a year or two.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2021, 05:19:32 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He'd be an upgrade over some of our but still has the same problems, slow and can't always stay in front of his man and not much of a rim protector. 

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2021, 05:43:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
My problem with Olynyk is the same problem I have with tons of 7 footers(I know Kelly is 6'11" now due to barefoot measurements), lack of rebounding ability. I'm sorry, but if you are 7 feet tall or taller and can't average over 10 rebounds per 36 minutes or have a rebound percentage over 16%, I am not a fan of your game.

That said, if the Cs can land him for the taxpayer MLE and give him Semi's or Wagner/Kornet's roster slot, that would be a really nice upgrade.

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2021, 12:22:40 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Charlotte? I see them handing a big short term deal to Olynyk to help boost their FA stock so they can pair a star next to LaMelo/Rozier/Hayward in a year or two.
The more ex-Celtics Charlotte nabs the better!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2021, 01:42:45 AM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
My problem with Olynyk is the same problem I have with tons of 7 footers(I know Kelly is 6'11" now due to barefoot measurements), lack of rebounding ability. I'm sorry, but if you are 7 feet tall or taller and can't average over 10 rebounds per 36 minutes or have a rebound percentage over 16%, I am not a fan of your game.

That said, if the Cs can land him for the taxpayer MLE and give him Semi's or Wagner/Kornet's roster slot, that would be a really nice upgrade.

His rebounding has improved since he left the Celtics and with more time on the court. Since joining the Rockets he’s averaging 30 min/game instead of his usual 18-22 min/game. As a result he’s averaging over 8 rebounds/game, or 9.72/36 minutes. That’s about as close to 10 as KO is ever going to get, but it’s just a slight round up to get there.