Author Topic: Which of these Jaylen trades, if any, do you make?  (Read 10973 times)

Re: Which of these Jaylen trades, if any, do you make?
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2021, 10:55:27 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
I'd love to add Beal to our roster but not at the cost of Brown. If it was a direct swap, our team wouldn't improve at all. The Celtics would be a plus for Beal's scoring and perhaps passing, but a major minus in defence and a backcourt of Kemba & Beal would be a defensive train wreck. Brown is 3 years Beal's junior, taller and much stronger, thus you can assume his game will age very well in comparison to a 6'3" (something people forget) Bradley Beal.

Opinions vary on Walker (I think he's a negative asset) and I don't want to start that discussion here, but it makes sense that Walker goes out in a trade for Beal, because of defense and salary purposes. So that is a factor in valuing a deal for Beal.

But on a basic level I really don't think the Celtics would be required to offer Brown to get Beal (assuming he wants out to a better team). It's not what fair that's terribly important, but the market. Look at what Houston received for a superstar like Harden. Very underwhelming, but they had to trade him anyway since otherwise they'd be worse off.

Beal has a player option, so he's on a one-year-deal. The Wizard have to trade him this offseason if Beal doesn't want to extend his contract. And who will be in pursuit? 76ers, Heat, Hawks, Knicks, Raptors, Pacers? Lakers, Mavericks, Clippers, Nuggets, Pelicans, Grizzlies?

I don't think any of these teams are going to offer an All Star in return (expect Simmons, Adebayo, Young, Randle, Siakam, Sabonis, Murray, Ingram to be off the table). A few teams have more picks to offer, but aren't in a great position to compete (examples: Knicks, Pelicans).

The Hawks and Pelicans are the teams who could easily come up with a formidable package. Just not sure these are destinations Beal would be excited about.
The only Beal trade that makes sense is Walker and a ton of 1st rounders and/or young players for Beal.  Probably need a 3rd team to take Walker. 

I think something like this makes a lot of sense where you reach the agreement on the trade before the draft but finalize it after so Boston can trade the 21 and 22 picks

Celtics - Beal, Morris, Beverley
Clippers - Walker, Thompson
Wizards - Rondo, Zubac, Langford, Nesmith, BOS 21 1st, BOS 22 1st, BOS 24 1st (they would likely cut Rondo or find another team for him)

I think that is pretty reasonable value for all 3 teams.

So Boston post trade

Starters - Beverley, Beal, Brown, Tatum, R. Williams
Rotation - Morris, Smart, Fournier, Pritchard, F.A. big man
Deep bench - G. Williams, Ojeleye, Wagner, Edwards, 2nd Round Rookie or Kornet
TW - Waters, Fall (or whomever)
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2021, 01:08:06 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
If theres one thing I am absolutely certain of it's that the c'sarent trading Brown for some package of a lesser player ( even if younger) and pucks. It makes ZERO sense given where the celtics are. Trading for a prospect and a puck just means burning a couple years of Tatum while those players develop. Not happening.

Maybe you could make a case for Brown in exchange for KAT or Beal, but those deals are not gigantic upgrades anymore and that kind of exchange doesnt really make you good enough. Personally I think Beal is pretty substantially overated.

No, what may need to happen is an all- in type move based around Kemba contract and all the first rounders, swaps and young guys you can get for a guard or big upgrade. Adding a third star shod be the goal.

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2021, 02:27:12 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
A mi no me gusta ninguna de tus ideas, mi amigo
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2021, 08:19:22 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 123
The Beal trade is the only one there that I might pull the trigger on.

The others I have not even the slightest hint of interest in.

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2021, 06:47:03 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I think nailing down Brown's value is super difficult.  Here are the more interesting players who I think might be available for Brown:

Players that I think would help us
Kawhi
KAT
SGA (maybe?)
Donovan Mitchell (if they lose in the 1st round this is who I would target)
Michael Porter Jr (sort of lateral though)
DeAndre Ayton
Haliburton (I doubt they'd trade him straight up for Brown but Brown is probably more valuable, so it's unlikely)

Players that have recognition that I'm not really interested in but have to mention
Bradley Beal (I don't think he makes us that much better in practice)
Gobert
De'Aaron Fox
CJ McCollum
Sabonis
Christian Wood
James Wiseman + the Warriors likely top 7 pick

Thoughts?  Anyone else?

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2021, 07:12:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think nailing down Brown's value is super difficult.  Here are the more interesting players who I think might be available for Brown:

Kawhi
KAT
SGA (maybe?)
DeAndre Ayton
Haliburton (I doubt they'd trade him straight up for Brown but Brown is probably more valuable, so it's unlikely)

Players that have recognition that I'm not really interested in but have to mention
Gobert
De'Aaron Fox
CJ McCollum
Sabonis
Christian Wood

Thoughts?  Anyone else?
I think you are massively underselling Brown's value.

As LeBron said: "Jaylen 'UnderAppreciated' Brown"

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2021, 07:56:43 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Kawhi
KAT
SGA (maybe?)
DeAndre Ayton

Gobert
De'Aaron Fox
CJ McCollum
Sabonis
Christian Wood

Thoughts?  Anyone else?

Besides the bolded I don't really think any of those are packages to scoff at. They're all either All-NBA level (Kawhi, Gobert, KAT), All-Star level (Mitchell, Sabonis, SGA) or really promising young players.

I would, from that list, only trade Brown for Kawhi, KAT, Gobert, Sabonis and maybe Mitchell / SGA (I view those three as basically inseparable talent-wise, would be dependent on other moves), but those are all elite players.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2021, 08:32:15 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

Not really crazy about trading Brown unless ... Kemba goes too for a home run trade deal for Celtics

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2021, 08:33:46 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
I say no to all those trades, even the Beal one.  Yeah Beal is better on offense than Jaylen right now, but the gap is closing, and Jaylen is a better more versatile defender.   Beal's production will drop if you throw him in with Tatum in this offense.  Throw in Nesmith and a 1st, no way would I do that.

So, just like all the other trade brown or trade tatum threads the answer is no.  We keep Tatum, we keep Brown, we keep Timelord.  Anyone else is probably on the block at this point.

Ageed. Wouldn't we want to make a trade that makes us better?

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2021, 08:54:05 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
JBs ceiling is definitely 27ppg...note that he is already almost 24 ppg now with some additional 3 points coming from the FT line and we are set.

I wouldnt trade him for Beal since he will start his decline and will be a 25 ppg next to Tatum so in essnce no change.

I would prioritize moving Kemba first..no odea how as god knows we may never find takers for an undesized PG who prioritises scoring but does not move the needle on a max contract and could not even outplay Joe Harris in terms of shooting.

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2021, 10:44:59 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
To be honest and not being just another homer overvaluing Brown?

He will get a little better. He's too smart and hard working not to and his age is correct.

Brown is about as valuable as any young player in the NBA....his defense is quite good which you add to his offense and just who the heck should you trade for?

Beal isn't as good a defender etc.

Anthony Davis isn't available, but, the value is there if you add an asset.

Go on down the line....you can offer Brown to every freaking team for their best player...right and every GM would look at the deal for a long time.

I prefer building around the J's over the next 2-3 seasons. Just what top NBA player, when offered the chance to start next to the J's is going to say no? Sure plenty will say no for some reason, but, not because the J's aren't outstanding talents who can win it all.

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2021, 10:47:44 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Kawhi
KAT
SGA (maybe?)
DeAndre Ayton

Gobert
De'Aaron Fox
CJ McCollum
Sabonis
Christian Wood

Thoughts?  Anyone else?

Besides the bolded I don't really think any of those are packages to scoff at. They're all either All-NBA level (Kawhi, Gobert, KAT), All-Star level (Mitchell, Sabonis, SGA) or really promising young players.

I would, from that list, only trade Brown for Kawhi, KAT, Gobert, Sabonis and maybe Mitchell / SGA (I view those three as basically inseparable talent-wise, would be dependent on other moves), but those are all elite players.
Wouldn't trade Brown for Mitchell, Sabonis or SGA. Skillset and player prototype matters in these things and Brown is by far the best out of the four in this regard.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2021, 11:21:25 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Kawhi
KAT
SGA (maybe?)
DeAndre Ayton

Gobert
De'Aaron Fox
CJ McCollum
Sabonis
Christian Wood

Thoughts?  Anyone else?

Wouldn't trade Brown for Mitchell, Sabonis or SGA. Skillset and player prototype matters in these things and Brown is by far the best out of the four in this regard.
Yeah, especially given continuity I wouldn’t do SGA or Brown. But I’d think long and hard about Sabonis because of how much Brad thrives with playmaking bigs.

However, who knows how much JB might flourish with someone other than Brad? ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2021, 11:37:44 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Kawhi
KAT
SGA (maybe?)
DeAndre Ayton

Gobert
De'Aaron Fox
CJ McCollum
Sabonis
Christian Wood

Thoughts?  Anyone else?

Yeah, especially given continuity I wouldn’t do SGA or Brown. But I’d think long and hard about Sabonis because of how much Brad thrives with playmaking bigs.

However, who knows how much JB might flourish with someone other than Brad? ;D
:laugh: my exact same thoughts regarding the bolded.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2021, 11:41:56 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
None of those
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain