Author Topic: Could Langford be a player?  (Read 20169 times)

Re: Could Langford be a player?
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2021, 03:50:56 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
In fairness, Grant was our best defender vs Bam in last season's playoffs. I'm disappointed in his development this season, but feel short stints as small ball 5, rather than back up 4, is optimal use of his skill set.  Poor man's PJ Tucker circa 3-4 years ago. Thoughts?

I think I would like to buy what your smoking JK :)

Let's look at his stats:

Grant scored 3 points was a -6 and Bam scored 18 points and was +12  in game 1
Grant scored 0 points was a +9 and Bam scored 21 points and was +8  in game 2
Grant scored 5 points was a -11 and Bam scored 27 points and was +1  in game 3
Grant scored 0  points was a +/- 0 and Bam scored 20 points and was +8  in game 4
Grant scored 0 points was a -3 and Bam scored 15 points and was -13  in game 5
Grant scored 0 points was a +4 and Bam scored 32 points and was +/- 0   in game  6

What does all this mean?   Grant is completely dependent on his team mates how his +/- is as he adds almost nothing statistically during a game.   Oh, he has done well here or there but most of the time his contributions are nil.  He well small ball 5 one game last year against LA but most of the time when he plays C it's let's build a blowout for the other team.    Him being able to play the 5 is pretty much a myth.   Bam killed us and he killed Grant too.

Here is the head to head stats.

https://www.nba.com/stats/vs/#!/?PlayerID=1628389&VsPlayerID=1629684

Grant historcally is  holding him to 19 PPG  4.5 APG and 9.5 RPG  on 50% shooting.

This shows me he was not that good of a matchup even though the two have a long and storied history ( high schools and college rivals).  He is too small and does not have the athletic ability to guard BAM.  The same was true of Theis to a large extent.

We should be looking to move on, not experiment with him at the five,  it was and is a complete and utter fantasy that he can guards fives or even fours.  Your asking for the other center to go off.  He also can't rim protect or rebound enough at either position.   

He is ranked 452 with a PIE of 4 this year out of the whole league.  Player Impact Estimate aka PIE is a metric to gauge a player’s all-around contribution to the game. Almost all statistical categories in the box score are involved in the PIE formula.

PIE Formula=(PTS + FGM + FTM – FGA – FTA + Deff.REB + Off.REB/2 + AST + STL + BLK/2 – PF – TO) / (Game.PTS + Game.FGM + Game.FTM – Game.FGA – Game.FTA + Game.Deff.REB + Game.Off.REB/2 + Game.AST + Game.STL + Game.BLK/2 – Game.PF – Game.TO)

The reason we stink is we have low level talent on half our roster.   I believe if we upgrade the Grant Williams, Semi, Carsen  Edwards, Waters and Tacko Fall, Kornet and add Mo Wagner to the list it would help our depth considerably.  It's sad he is a good guy and a team mates but those are ok if they contribute to the team effort but cost you if they do not.  I use Grant as an example, be honest were you one of the folks who thought he could start?

I think fixing this would be the first step.   Danny has been ruthless in the past and cut throat but he seems to love these young guys.   One would think the GM who cold heartedly dealt Perk, PP and KG would still do what he has to do.

looking at raw numbers is pretty laughable. The commentators and advance stats all pointed out that the best lineup vs the heat was the one with Williams at the 5. Anyone who isn't dumb should know by now that raw +/- is pretty garbage. Also given that Bam played more minutes than GWill, there would be a lot of time he isnt guarded by Grant. He destroyed Theis whenever they matched up, even in short spurts. We realized this too late and it cost us the series.

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2021, 05:08:08 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
In fairness, Grant was our best defender vs Bam in last season's playoffs. I'm disappointed in his development this season, but feel short stints as small ball 5, rather than back up 4, is optimal use of his skill set.  Poor man's PJ Tucker circa 3-4 years ago. Thoughts?

Let's look at his stats:

Grant scored 0  points was a +/- 0 and Bam scored 20 points and was +8  in game 4
Grant scored 0 points was a +4 and Bam scored 32 points and was +/- 0   in game  6

What does all this mean?   Grant is completely dependent on his team mates how his +/- is as he adds almost nothing statistically during a game.   Oh, he has done well here or there but most of the time his contributions are nil.  He well small ball 5 one game last year against LA but most of the time when he plays C it's let's build a blowout for the other team.    Him being able to play the 5 is pretty much a myth.   Bam killed us and he killed Grant too.

Grant historcally is  holding him to 19 PPG  4.5 APG and 9.5 RPG  on 50% shooting.

This shows me he was not that good of a matchup even though the two have a long and storied history ( high schools and college rivals).  He is too small and does not have the athletic ability to guard BAM.  The same was true of Theis to a large extent.

We should be looking to move on, not experiment with him at the five,  it was and is a complete and utter fantasy that he can guards fives or even fours.  Your asking for the other center to go off.  He also can't rim protect or rebound enough at either position.   

He is ranked 452 with a PIE of 4 this year out of the whole league.  Player Impact Estimate aka PIE is a metric to gauge a player’s all-around contribution to the game. Almost all statistical categories in the box score are involved in the PIE formula.

PIE Formula=(PTS + FGM + FTM – FGA – FTA + Deff.REB + Off.REB/2 + AST + STL + BLK/2 – PF – TO) / (Game.PTS + Game.FGM + Game.FTM – Game.FGA – Game.FTA + Game.Deff.REB + Game.Off.REB/2 + Game.AST + Game.STL + Game.BLK/2 – Game.PF – Game.TO)

The reason we stink is we have low level talent on half our roster.   I believe if we upgrade the Grant Williams, Semi, Carsen  Edwards, Waters and Tacko Fall, Kornet and add Mo Wagner to the list it would help our depth considerably.  It's sad he is a good guy and a team mates but those are ok if they contribute to the team effort but cost you if they do not.  I use Grant as an example, be honest were you one of the folks who thought he could start?

I think fixing this would be the first step.   Danny has been ruthless in the past and cut throat but he seems to love these young guys.   One would think the GM who cold heartedly dealt Perk, PP and KG would still do what he has to do.

I was referring to Game 6, where he did a much better job of defending Bam than our other centers.  As soon as he came out, Bam went off  on Theis. 

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2021, 05:54:56 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
looking at raw numbers is pretty laughable. The commentators and advance stats all pointed out that the best lineup vs the heat was the one with Williams at the 5. Anyone who isn't dumb should know by now that raw +/- is pretty garbage. Also given that Bam played more minutes than GWill, there would be a lot of time he isnt guarded by Grant. He destroyed Theis whenever they matched up, even in short spurts. We realized this too late and it cost us the series.

Do you really think Grant would have done better given more minutes.   He plays a lot of minutes now and does almost nothing.

Playing Grant would have had the same result folks.

I did not use just raw +/- stats and  I posted his scoring and believe me if I posted the other stats it would be much worse for Grant.

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/bam-adebayo-stats-in-each-playoff-game-vs-boston

The commentators and advance stats all pointed out that the best lineup vs the heat was the one with Williams at the 5.

That was more an off game by Bam than Grant doing anything.  Are you even aware that Grant played 8:14 min that game, RockinRyA?  He REALLY SHOWED HIM during that time.    The same commentators that thought Grant could start this year and should be a starter.   Now that was laughable truly.

Look
https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/202009250BOS.html

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/4066218/type/nba/year/2020

Grant played 10:27 in game 6, Footey.   I honestly don't think it would have helped.  You know who could have helped more but CBS didn't play him?  Bueller?  Anyone?   Rob!

We need a better PF that player is not on the roster.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 06:17:09 PM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2021, 07:00:50 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
GWill will be out of the league in 2 years. He’s a jack of all trades and master of none.

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2021, 07:18:08 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Let's look at his stats:

Some of the most random and nonsensical statistical analysis I've seen in a while.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2021, 10:41:55 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
This kid IS going to be good, barring more injuries:

"While he didn’t post any eye-popping stat lines in his 16 minutes of floor time, Boston Celtics second-year shooting guard Romeo Langford managed to change the course of the game with some surprisingly gritty defense in the team’s 105-87 road win over the Denver Nuggets on Sunday.

That’s not to say he was a non-factor on the offensive end of the court either. The Indiana native put up 5 points including 3-for-3 from the free-throw line while pulling down 5 rebounds. But it was Langford’s defense that made a difference for the Celtics, especially in the second half. The former Hoosier drew a pair of charges and bothered a host of 3-point attempts to help hold Denver to 23.5% from beyond the arc on the night."

"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2021, 11:07:52 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
He doesn’t appear intimidated in the least

I like how he operates in the paint and is a good influence on Nesmith who seems to have similar abilities and work ethic.   I like these guys ....I think they can help the Jays .

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2021, 11:57:27 AM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Judging from what I saw of his college tape I'm really looking forward to the day we let him keep the ball in his hands for more than just spot up shooting. It's going to be hard on this team because the Jays are so ball dominant, but I hope the day comes. He's an athlete and I wouldn't be surprised if he secretly has the best handle on the team after Kemba.

EDIT: Sorry for being off topic and talking about Langford. To stay on topic I will add that it's extremely laughable that Grant Williams is some secret defensive weapon at the 5 lol You can pretend that GWill is Draymond Green or Dennis Rodman but taht doesn't make it true.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 12:09:01 PM by GreenCoffeeBean »

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2021, 09:49:41 PM »

Offline Bostonborn62

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Hustle like Cowens or have a seat
Semi and GWill shouldn't even be in the League never mind getting playing time. I hate to say it but Tacko too, nice story but he will never have the foot speed to keep up, too slow. IMO. I hope we get some good new players in the off season. Had enough of these G League scrubs.

« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2021, 10:03:15 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Semi and GWill shouldn't even be in the League never mind getting playing time. I hate to say it but Tacko too, nice story but he will never have the foot speed to keep up, too slow. IMO. I hope we get some good new players in the off season. Had enough of these G League scrubs.
Semi and GWill are as good as any team's bottom 5 on the roster. It's just injury issues have forced us into playing them more than that
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2021, 10:23:47 PM »

Kiorrik

He doesn’t appear intimidated in the least
I think that's my favourite feature of Romeo.

He seems to just be there and play hard.

To be fair;
 - imagine getting to practice your defence versus Tatum, Brown, Walker.
 - imagine having Smart to learn from

And then imagine doing pretty well in said practice.

That must be a great confidence booster for when you do get to play actual games.

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2021, 01:23:10 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

GWill will be out of the league in 2 years. He’s a jack of all trades and master of none.

I respect someone who’s willing to make a prediction. It’s your scouting I don’t respect. Nope, Grant will have a long career.

Semi and GWill shouldn't even be in the League never mind getting playing time.... Had enough of these G League scrubs.

Another one. Just consider that Brad Stevens might possibly know something you don’t. Just consider it, that’s all I’m saying.

At last we saw Celtics team defense last night. At long last. And the most impressive, truly, were Romeo and Grant Williams - especially Grant, who took Jokic out of his game and stopped him on three straight postups. Grant was a very fine defender last year, with the ugly exception of his post defense. Great to see him turning that around.

He’s physical (much in evidence last night), gets in his man’s airspace, does the little things like bumping the roll man. Great anticipation and gets a lot of blocks for his size, and above all he’s super switchable (more than any other reason, that’s why he got crunch-time minutes at 5 last year). He knows where to go and he talks.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2021, 06:24:14 AM »

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16
Agreed...a couple of undersized big men with little to no offense. There is a reason Ainge’s bench offers little scoring consistently.

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2021, 07:17:29 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Agreed...a couple of undersized big men with little to no offense. There is a reason Ainge’s bench offers little scoring consistently.

Semi and Grant are situational players, who ideally will be something like 10th-11th on your bench. They have major limitations but also can do well in spot work with certain matchups. If Fournier and Romeo stay healthy that’s where they’ll be.

Are the 10th/11th players on the contenders really better than they are? I doubt it. And if Grant can improve with a real off season next year he could earn more of a rotation spot.

Tacko is closer to the end of the bench, or really, ideally going to Europe or China. Just too slow.

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2021, 09:09:35 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
He's starting to look pretty good to me.