Author Topic: If the rumblings in Minny are true, is this KAT trade doable?  (Read 8588 times)

Re: If the rumblings in Minny are true, is this KAT trade doable?
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2021, 02:46:05 PM »

Offline michigan adam

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Don’t know why ppl are down on Towns.. I take him over anyone on this team

I certainly do not take him over tatum, and likely not over brown.  I value 2 way players, and KAT is most certainly not a 2 way player.  He is heavily over valued IMHO.  He also likely has inflated stats compared to if he was playing with a couple of better players.  I also hate harden's game, so take it all with a grain of salt...

« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2021, 02:54:24 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I think KAT is one of the most talented players in the NBA. I think he has the potential with the right coach and team to be the best big man in the NBA and one of the greatest big man scorers ever.

That's not hyperbole. He's legitimately amazing. I've hoped for a while that the Celtics would offer the farm for him and get him. Obviously, I'd rather keep Brown and Tatum to do it.

All of that being said, I also see some potential parallels to a situation that happened 7 years ago with the Warriors.

At the time, they were coming off a season with Mark Jackson and a disappointing first round exit in the playoffs. At the same moment, Kevin Love was coming off a great season with the Wolves, averaging 26, 13, and 4 on good shooting splits. Then he became available and every basketball fan thought, "the Warriors need an inside presence like him. They'd be unstoppable." At the moment, there were rumblings the Wolves wanted Klay Thompson, but later, it was discovered that they asked for Barnes and Green instead.

With hindsight, everyone knows that Green was special, but at the moment, he was coming off a season where he averaged 6, 5, and 2 a game. He had promising moments, but very few really knew what he might become. The Warriors said no to the Wolves (rumors were that Jerry West was instrumental in that decision), and their homegrown talent grew together and went on to be a modern-day dynasty.

There are some uncanny similarities to the Celtics today, especially with the rise of Robert Williams. I know that some people will say that the Celtics would have to trade Brown for KAT, but I don't think that is necessarily true (agree to disagree). Robert Williams is truly becoming a very productive, exciting, young player, but the question that I am starting to have is whether his production helps the Cs win games, or whether it will in the future. Over the past 20 some games, he is average 10, 8, 3 and 3 a game on only 21 minutes, including 74% shooting from the floor, including an impressive 20-9-8 game against Christian Wood yesterday. That's unbelievably productive, but it hasn't gone past some of our notice that the rise of Robert Williams has coincided with many Ls. I don't pin all the blame on Williams, but there is something there.

As much as I love KAT, I doubt my evaluation of him because of the similarities to Kevin Love's situation with the Warriors. Part of me wonders if Robert Williams will be an All-NBA center sooner rather than later, and if Williams would be a better fit to turn us into contenders long-term next to Tatum and Brown.

The base deal sitting there is some combination of Kemba Walker and Robert Williams for Kat and another piece. That gives the Wolves a respectable scorer at guard to take some pressure off of Edwards while he develops, as well as a rising big man to take Kat's place. They can then flip Walker at the trade deadline or next off-season to a contender for some picks and another player.

Anyway, just my random rambling thoughts.

« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2021, 04:25:17 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I think KAT is one of the most talented players in the NBA. I think he has the potential with the right coach and team to be the best big man in the NBA and one of the greatest big man scorers ever.

That's not hyperbole. He's legitimately amazing. I've hoped for a while that the Celtics would offer the farm for him and get him. Obviously, I'd rather keep Brown and Tatum to do it.

All of that being said, I also see some potential parallels to a situation that happened 7 years ago with the Warriors.

At the time, they were coming off a season with Mark Jackson and a disappointing first round exit in the playoffs. At the same moment, Kevin Love was coming off a great season with the Wolves, averaging 26, 13, and 4 on good shooting splits. Then he became available and every basketball fan thought, "the Warriors need an inside presence like him. They'd be unstoppable." At the moment, there were rumblings the Wolves wanted Klay Thompson, but later, it was discovered that they asked for Barnes and Green instead.

With hindsight, everyone knows that Green was special, but at the moment, he was coming off a season where he averaged 6, 5, and 2 a game. He had promising moments, but very few really knew what he might become. The Warriors said no to the Wolves (rumors were that Jerry West was instrumental in that decision), and their homegrown talent grew together and went on to be a modern-day dynasty.

There are some uncanny similarities to the Celtics today, especially with the rise of Robert Williams. I know that some people will say that the Celtics would have to trade Brown for KAT, but I don't think that is necessarily true (agree to disagree). Robert Williams is truly becoming a very productive, exciting, young player, but the question that I am starting to have is whether his production helps the Cs win games, or whether it will in the future. Over the past 20 some games, he is average 10, 8, 3 and 3 a game on only 21 minutes, including 74% shooting from the floor, including an impressive 20-9-8 game against Christian Wood yesterday. That's unbelievably productive, but it hasn't gone past some of our notice that the rise of Robert Williams has coincided with many Ls. I don't pin all the blame on Williams, but there is something there.

As much as I love KAT, I doubt my evaluation of him because of the similarities to Kevin Love's situation with the Warriors. Part of me wonders if Robert Williams will be an All-NBA center sooner rather than later, and if Williams would be a better fit to turn us into contenders long-term next to Tatum and Brown.

The base deal sitting there is some combination of Kemba Walker and Robert Williams for Kat and another piece. That gives the Wolves a respectable scorer at guard to take some pressure off of Edwards while he develops, as well as a rising big man to take Kat's place. They can then flip Walker at the trade deadline or next off-season to a contender for some picks and another player.

I'm not particularly high on KAT given his inability to show he contributes to winning basketball.
However we're not getting KAT for Kemba, Timelord and another piece unless the other piece is Brown.  KAT has 3 more seasons on his contract after this one and is only 25.  If KAT is put on the market this offseason, his trade value will be through the roof. 

« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2021, 05:32:52 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

I'm not particularly high on KAT given his inability to show he contributes to winning basketball.
However we're not getting KAT for Kemba, Timelord and another piece unless the other piece is Brown.  KAT has 3 more seasons on his contract after this one and is only 25.  If KAT is put on the market this offseason, his trade value will be through the roof.

As I said in the post, agree to disagree.

« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2021, 06:15:26 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
I would trade Brown for KAT..Towns would be great on this team along with Tatum
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2021, 06:35:21 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I would trade Brown for KAT..Towns would be great on this team along with Tatum

Tatum / Towns / Williams would be an amazing frontcourt for years to come.