Author Topic: Drummond?  (Read 12552 times)

Re: Drummond?
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2021, 02:32:46 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Sign me up, bring it on.

« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2021, 02:35:37 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If you add Drummond, you’ll probably see more threes, because the opposing team’s center is going to shade wayyyy back toward
the basket, closing the driving lanes for Tatum and Brown.

How does he provide less space than Timelord or Thompson?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2021, 02:38:12 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
I got one day where I wasn't frustrated by the center rotation and now they're going to add another center to re-complicate things?

Is Williams better than Drummond right now? Despite Drummond's size and athleticism, he's never actually been a great defender. He's huge but he doesn't do that well against Embiid, which is something on everyone's mind. It feels like Williams has earned his starting role. Bringing someone in and immediately taking it away from him wouldn't sit right with me.

If Drummond is going to come in to come off the bench and split time with Williams, that works but then Thompson is left out and is he going to be okay with that?

Drummond has a ton of talent but this feels like creating a problem that they just solved.
I don't think Drummond would even consider coming here unless he was likely to get immediate minutes. Timelord is clearly the starter now so I'd assume if Drummond signs it would be to back up Timelord.

If Thompson were coming back then I think he's a solid back up center. To go after Drummond to me signals that Thompson isn't going to be playing regular minutes for the C's again.

If Drummond picks us I have to believe he was promised the starting role to “prove he’s still one of the best centers in the league” before free agency even though he isn’t. He’d be a rental.

This is one reason I’m not sure how I’d feel about getting him. I’d be fine with him taking TT’s minutes but I really don’t want him to take minutes from Timelord.

The perk to him is since Stevens’s teams insist on bombing 3s he’s the perfect big to clean up the misses. That’s the extent of his value in my view, beyond just being an upgrade over TT. But under no circumstances should he be taking minutes from Timelord.

Boston is 20th in the league in 3-point attempts - and that’s after bombing away the last three games. https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/three-pointers-attempted-per-game

If you add Drummond, you’ll probably see more threes, because the opposing team’s center is going to shade wayyyy back toward

Also, Drummond has had terrible scoring efficiency his whole career. His career TS% is 54% - below league average, and this year before Cleveland shut him down he was having an atrocious year - 47%z for comparison, Tristan Thompson is at 53.4% this year. I don’t really want someone like that taking shots from the Js. And think of how bad that really is, for a guy who gets as many offensive rebounds as he does. He gets a few easy putbacks every game, almost always shoots right near the basket, and still lands under 50%?

Maybe, if the start of this year was a fluke and he was demotivated, he’ll rise to the level of TT: a second/third string center.

I’ll admit that stat surprises me, because it feels like this team lives and dies by the 3.

That said, if Drummond is on this team the only time I hope he ever tries to score is in the pick and roll or easy put-back. Outside of that every offensive rebound should be passed back out. That should be the extent of his role.

« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2021, 02:57:14 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
The Boston #Celtics have put a full-court press on signing Andre Drummond. He is leaning towards #Lakers, but Boston has made up a lot of ground the last 24 hours.

https://twitter.com/massey_evan/status/1375858033285345280?s=21

PS: do Twitter links not auto embed anymore?

« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2021, 03:02:22 PM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
Drummond is clearly better than Tristan Thompson, but he only comes here is if he's promised a starting role. Which would mean fewer minutes for Robert Williams, which is bad for the team.

« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2021, 03:26:41 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
If he don’t go to Lakers, I be shock
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2021, 03:39:27 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
If he don’t go to Lakers, I be shock

He'd be a good fit with the Knicks next to Randle but I don't see a good fit on the Lakers.

« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2021, 03:45:06 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
The Boston #Celtics have put a full-court press on signing Andre Drummond. He is leaning towards #Lakers, but Boston has made up a lot of ground the last 24 hours.

oh man, this is just another silly distraction.  I have 0% confidence that Drummond will sign with us.
but what do I know? lol

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2021, 03:56:15 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I love the annual buyout excitement on here.  It’s died down recently, but remember the excitement waiting on guys like Troy Murphy back in the day?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2021, 03:57:29 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
It feels like this Drummond to Boston talk is just a tease but I feel he is a much better player than either Thompson or RWilliams so playing time or not for them is the least of my worries.  It would be unfortunate that we would end up with 3 centers and no real PF but we are still better with Drummond than without.

Why so quiet on Demarcus Cousins?  Now that the trade deadline is over, it seems like he will end up somewhere.

« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2021, 03:59:39 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468

oh man, this is just another silly distraction.  I have 0% confidence that Drummond will sign with us.
but what do I know? lol

Still think its the Lakers.  Ton of PT now and best chance at a ring.  Won't play much when AD is back though.  Does he view himself as a difference maker for the Cs?  If he does he may sign here if he was promised 28mpg and the starting role.  If not he will ride AD and LBJs cost tails to win a ring.  Not a bad decision.  If I were Drummond I'd be in LA. 

« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2021, 04:53:33 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

I think Thompson does gum up the spacing, and Drummond is even slower. Rob plays pretty far from the basket for handoffs, screens, and rolls. Would Drummond go out there? Maybe, but then don’t count on his rebounding. Rob isn’t AD, but for a center who hasn’t yet proven he’s a jump shooter he’s pretty good.

« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2021, 05:40:24 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587

I think Thompson does gum up the spacing, and Drummond is even slower. Rob plays pretty far from the basket for handoffs, screens, and rolls. Would Drummond go out there? Maybe, but then don’t count on his rebounding. Rob isn’t AD, but for a center who hasn’t yet proven he’s a jump shooter he’s pretty good.

I’m kind of surprised they’re aren’t going after Dieng (maybe they are and it’s just not being reported), seems like a better fit especially with his ability to space the floor.

« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2021, 06:01:50 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I love the annual buyout excitement on here.  It’s died down recently, but remember the excitement waiting on guys like Troy Murphy back in the day?

Might be PJ Brown
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2021, 06:02:46 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I just don't see much of a role for Drummond on the Lakers. AD is their most important player, moreso than Lebron, and you can't play AD and Drummond together much.