Author Topic: Who was Danny’s worst draft pick?  (Read 14292 times)

Re: Who was Danny’s worst draft pick?
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2021, 10:49:28 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Everyone seems to be pulling the total busts, of which there have been quite a few.

But the worst pick was trading up to take Olynyk over Giannis, who was taken one pick ahead of their intended slot. This is not to mention a number of guys who have turned out to be much better NBA players than Kelly -- including Rudy Gobert (who should be discussed as an MVP candidate more than he is).

I can't see how this is even a remotely debatable choice. Taking Giddens or Young or Yabu were dents in the car. The Olynyk choice totaled it.

If Ainge had made the right choice in 2013, we'd probably have at least one title by now, and would be a perennial Top 2-3 team. That Danny traded up to put himself in position to take Giannis adds insult to injury.
A little bit more astute drafting and trading / non trading and we could be looking at a Celtics team right now of:
Smart / Doncic / Brown / Tatum / Giannis
😄

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2021, 10:55:33 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
Everyone seems to be pulling the total busts, of which there have been quite a few.

But the worst pick was trading up to take Olynyk over Giannis, who was taken one pick ahead of their intended slot. This is not to mention a number of guys who have turned out to be much better NBA players than Kelly -- including Rudy Gobert (who should be discussed as an MVP candidate more than he is).

I can't see how this is even a remotely debatable choice. Taking Giddens or Young or Yabu were dents in the car. The Olynyk choice totaled it.

If Ainge had made the right choice in 2013, we'd probably have at least one title by now, and would be a perennial Top 2-3 team. That Danny traded up to put himself in position to take Giannis adds insult to injury.

KO was a good pick.  There just happened to be a future MVP taken after him.  However, how many GM’s saw that coming?  Zero.

I completely disagree with this POV, as you know. Olynyk was not a "good" pick. He wasn't even close to the best player available any way you look at it.

And I don't think you can simply speak for the more-than-half of NBA GMs who didn't pick at 14 or better in '13 Draft.

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2021, 10:57:25 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton

A little bit more astute drafting and trading / non trading and we could be looking at a Celtics team right now of:
Smart / Doncic / Brown / Tatum / Giannis
😄

I'm not going down the Doncic route. But literally the ONLY thing Ainge had to do differently to have the other 4 on this team right now was say Giannis' name over Kelly's. That's it.

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2021, 10:58:01 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The clear answer is Fab Melo.

That said, trading up for Marcus Banks was pretty bad.  Especially when he could have just stood pat and taken David West.  That said, Perkins was the other player we ended up with in the draft day trade so it worked out pretty well in that regard and Banks was in the Wally trade that landed us the Minny pick we used for KG, so it worked out ok in the end, but Ainge clearly missed on his assessment of Banks. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2021, 11:00:49 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton

Why? Ainge has taken a number of total busts earlier in the 1st round than Melo.

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2021, 11:05:16 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Why? Ainge has taken a number of total busts earlier in the 1st round than Melo.
Fab Melo played 36 minutes and in just 6 games in his entire career.  No one else even comes close to that.  And I get you don't necessarily think you are going to strike gold with the 22nd pick, but you should at least get guys to make it through the 1st contract.  Even Yabu played 486 minutes in 74 games.  There is no contest.  Melo was an indefensible horrible pick.  It isn't close.  Worst pick by a mile.  I mean only the 4 2nd rounders that never played in the NBA have less games or impact than Melo.  When basically the entire 2nd round outperforms you, you are a horrid pick.

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2021, 11:09:46 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton

Fab Melo played 36 minutes and in just 6 games in his entire career.  No one else even comes close to that.  And I get you don't necessarily think you are going to strike gold with the 22nd pick, but you should at least get guys to make it through the 1st contract.  Even Yabu played 486 minutes in 74 games.  There is no contest.  Melo was an indefensible horrible pick.  It isn't close.  Worst pick by a mile.  I mean only the 4 2nd rounders that never played in the NBA have less games or impact than Melo.  When basically the entire 2nd round outperforms you, you are a horrid pick.

I'm not defending the pick! My point was more: why is Melo clearly worse than Yabu or James Young? They all stink to high heaven.

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2021, 11:11:26 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I'm not defending the pick! My point was more: why is Melo clearly worse than Yabu or James Young? They all stink to high heaven.
6 games, 36 minutes. 

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2021, 11:14:08 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

KO was a good pick.  There just happened to be a future MVP taken after him.  However, how many GM’s saw that coming?  Zero.

Plus, he’s like a 7’ tall Forward. Danny would never draft one of those...The C’s wouldn’t be able to small ball.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2021, 11:14:37 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

This criteria was met by only one of the 8 1st rounders selected after Fab.

« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2021, 11:17:07 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton

6 games, 36 minutes.

Any here I thought Yabu was a bad pick. Dude played 500+ minutes in his career! Impressive.

« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2021, 11:19:21 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

That said, trading up for Marcus Banks was pretty bad.  Especially when he could have just stood pat and taken David West.  That said, Perkins was the other player we ended up with in the draft day trade so it worked out pretty well in that regard and Banks was in the Wally trade that landed us the Minny pick we used for KG, so it worked out ok in the end, but Ainge clearly missed on his assessment of Banks.

I forgive him a bit for Banks, as he was new to the job and didn’t have a full season of scouting.  Banks at least hung around in the league for a while.

Fab Melo may be the worst player that Danny has drafted.  I don’t know if he was necessarily the worst pick, just because the talent left on the board was pretty sparse.

It does make me wonder though, why take fab over a guy like Festus Ezeli?  Ezeli was more athletic, had a bigger wing span, and performed better in college.  He also wasn’t as intellectually challenged as Fab, one of the least intelligent players I can remember.

At the time, though, the big angst from fans was that we did not take Perry Jones III. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 11:32:54 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2021, 11:20:47 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
James young. Isn’t that right bill simmons :-X

« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2021, 11:24:00 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
There's a few ways to answer this question.

Fab Melo's certainly the least productive NBA player drafted by Ainge.

He may not qualify as the worst draft pick if you are comparing picks against the players left on the board when the pick was made (that's probably Kelly Olynyk [edit: or James Young, I forgot his contemporaries]).
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2021, 11:36:50 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
One name I dont think has been mentioned is Gerald Green. He ended up becoming a serviceable player later in his career after a stint overseas, but that doesn’t negate the fact that he was horrible in his first stint with the team. And there were some pretty good players taken after him - David Lee, Lou Williams, Monta Ellis, Ersan Ilyasova, Marcin Gortat, Amir Johnson, Brandon Bass. 2005 was deep.