Author Topic: Who was Danny’s worst draft pick?  (Read 14285 times)

Re: Who was Danny’s worst draft pick?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2021, 09:53:55 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think looking back in a few years Nesmith will be the unanimous selection.

I don’t think so. I think he is going to be a good player. Some of the great shooters in NBA history had rough starts. Go look at the rookie numbers for Redick, Korver, Joe Harris, etc.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2021, 09:58:41 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
On second thought, I would like to nominate James Young. Incredible that he’s still only 25 years old.

Players drafted after him:

Nikola Jokic
Clint Capela
Garry Harris
Bogdan Bagdonavic
Joe Harris
Spencer Dinwiddie
Jeremiah Grant
Jordan Clarkson.

Kinda wish you didn’t start this thread. It’s depressing.

Yeah, that was such a weird draft.  Picks 21 and after were probably better than #1 through 20.

When I saw the title of this thread I immediately googled to see where he was picked, because my memory was telling me 2nd round.  17th pick...YIKES!
Yup

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2021, 10:02:28 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Danny’s worst pick is yet to come and that’s depressing lol
One of these years he’s gonna strike out bad in the 7-12 range

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2021, 10:02:44 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
I think looking back in a few years Nesmith will be the unanimous selection.

I don’t think so. I think he is going to be a good player. Some of the great shooters in NBA history had rough starts. Go look at the rookie numbers for Redick, Korver, Joe Harris, etc.

I hope you’re right, but from the little I’ve seen (and I admit I’ve only seen a little), he is years away from being years away. At best I think he can carve out a place for himself in the league as a Wayne Ellington/Reggie Bullock type player. Even if he reaches that point I think he will be labeled a bust based on how good I think some of the players taken after him will be. I’m incredibly high on Cole Anthony, Saddiq Bey, Tyrese Maxey, and Precious Achiuwa. Hell, I even heard a rumor (unconfirmed) yesterday that a potential Lowry to the Heat deal didn’t happen because Miami wouldn’t include Achiuwa. That shows you how high Pat Riley - who has been a pretty good evaluator of talent I’d say - is on the kid.

Again, I hope I’m wrong because it would be huge for the offense going forward if Nesmith ever turns in to an elite spot up shooter. I just don’t see much in him.

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2021, 10:09:10 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
On second thought, I would like to nominate James Young. Incredible that he’s still only 25 years old.

Players drafted after him:

Nikola Jokic
Clint Capela
Garry Harris
Bogdan Bagdonavic
Joe Harris
Spencer Dinwiddie
Jeremiah Grant
Jordan Clarkson.

Kinda wish you didn’t start this thread. It’s depressing.

Yeah, that was such a weird draft.  Picks 21 and after were probably better than #1 through 20.

When I saw the title of this thread I immediately googled to see where he was picked, because my memory was telling me 2nd round.  17th pick...YIKES!

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2021, 10:09:22 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
The good news about this thread is that the answer isn’t Tatum, Brown, or Smart.  Those were the picks that he had to nail, and he acquitted himself well.  Imagine keeping #1 and picking Fultz, or picking Josh Jackson?  Bender instead of Jaylen?  Stauskas or Vonleh ahead of Smart?  Those were all real options.

James Young stunk, but if you look at the next 5 picks, they were Tyler Ennis (out of the league), Gary Harris (his play has cratered the last three years), Bruno Caboclo (somehow still given NBA deals, but he’s still two years away), Mitch McGary (out of the league and awaiting suspension should he ever decide to return), and Jordan Adams (out of the league).  Same with Fab Melo — terrible result, but only one of the next 8 guys picked after him (Miles, not Mason, Plumlee) made it all the way through his rookie deal.  It’s awesome to find the guy 12 spots before another team, and I admit to loving Draymond Green at draft time myself, but it’s not a big failure to miss a guy a dozen other teams also passed on.  It’s just not a success.

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2021, 10:11:39 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
JR Giddens was no prize. There were players available - Jordan, Dragic, Pekovic, Chalmers, Asik, who could have really helped in extending that current teams title window.

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2021, 10:13:06 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
The worst pick he wanted to take:

1.  Robert Swift over Al Jefferson;

or

2.  Four #1s (including a Brooklyn pick) for Justice Winslow

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2021, 10:17:45 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
JR Giddens was no prize. There were players available - Jordan, Dragic, Pekovic, Chalmers, Asik, who could have really helped in extending that current teams title window.

Yeah, he wasn’t anybody’s favorite.  I think there were three main targets among fans:  Jordan, Chalmers or Chris Douglas-Roberts.  But almost anybody taken over the next ten picks was better than Giddens.

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2021, 10:34:56 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
The worst pick he wanted to take:

1.  Robert Swift over Al Jefferson;

or

2.  Four #1s (including a Brooklyn pick) for Justice Winslow

Well, I guess if you go butterfly effect, if Ainge takes Swift then they probably don't have the assets to pull off the KG trade. 

No KG.  No title in '08.   And who knows how things play out in the late 2000s/2010s.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2021, 10:42:32 AM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
Obviously, everybody is going to have their own criteria here. For me, it is selecting a guy who completely couldn’t play, mixed with there being clearly better options in the draft.

I’m going to say Yabusele.  He had to horrible years here, and was so bad that no other NBA team even took a flyer on him.

And, he was a reach at the time.  There were no superstars available, but LaVert, Beasley, Siakim, Brogdon and Murray were all on the board.

The kicker is that we had to “stretch” him, meaning he has counted $1+ million on our books for the past few years. 

I expect the consensus here might be KO, but he could play and has had a good career.

Other options:  Marcus Banks, James Young, Fab Melo, J.R. Giddens

I would agree with this. Worst part is, the Celtics even had a private workout with Siakam prior to the draft.  Danny loves his “Tweeners” and undersized scrappy players though. He’s terrible at drafting mid to late first and forget about the second round. When is the last time Danny drafted a player in the 2nd round that worked out? I can’t think of any. Fortunately, he hit on Jaylen and Jayson big time, so all is forgiven.
I would argue that some of Ainge's best picks were in the mid to late first round:
Al Jefferson
Delonte West was not a terrible pick
Tony Allen
The trade for Rondo at 21
Avery Bradley
Sullinger was not a bad pick
Timelord
Payton Pritchard

(I forget if Ainge drafted Perkins as well)

It is very easy to remember the failures, but I am curious what his actual hit rate is from picks 15-30.  If you find a rotational player with those picks, it is about as good as you can get.  All the guys above were contributors on the team.

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2021, 10:43:56 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
Everyone seems to be pulling the total busts, of which there have been quite a few.

But the worst pick was trading up to take Olynyk over Giannis, who was taken one pick ahead of their intended slot. This is not to mention a number of guys who have turned out to be much better NBA players than Kelly -- including Rudy Gobert (who should be discussed as an MVP candidate more than he is).

I can't see how this is even a remotely debatable choice. Taking Giddens or Young or Yabu were dents in the car. The Olynyk choice totaled it.

If Ainge had made the right choice in 2013, we'd probably have at least one title by now, and would be a perennial Top 2-3 team. That Danny traded up to put himself in position to take Giannis adds insult to injury.

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2021, 10:45:28 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Sooooo many to chose from but James Young..I’m a UK fan and knock on him he was lazy..didn’t want them to get him but Ainge did
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2021, 10:48:01 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
When is the last time Danny drafted a player in the 2nd round that worked out? I can’t think of any.

E’twaun Moore was a good pick.  Semi is at least a rotation player.  If you go way back, Gomes, BBD and Powe all were contributors.

I don’t recall Moore being a rotation player and semi has quite a few DNP’s this year. Those are probably the best two, though.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2021, 10:49:08 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Everyone seems to be pulling the total busts, of which there have been quite a few.

But the worst pick was trading up to take Olynyk over Giannis, who was taken one pick ahead of their intended slot. This is not to mention a number of guys who have turned out to be much better NBA players than Kelly -- including Rudy Gobert (who should be discussed as an MVP candidate more than he is).

I can't see how this is even a remotely debatable choice. Taking Giddens or Young or Yabu were dents in the car. The Olynyk choice totaled it.

If Ainge had made the right choice in 2013, we'd probably have at least one title by now, and would be a perennial Top 2-3 team. That Danny traded up to put himself in position to take Giannis adds insult to injury.

KO was a good pick.  There just happened to be a future MVP taken after him.  However, how many GM’s saw that coming?  Zero.