Author Topic: Your Trade Deadline Day in Hindsight  (Read 3604 times)

Your Trade Deadline Day in Hindsight
« on: March 26, 2021, 08:09:09 AM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
Trade ideas are fun...but we never really know what fair value is or if rival GMs would really go for that package. Grading is an interesting chance to critique the days moves but can be meaningles if the other options were unknown. So, using hindsight, here is your opportunity to have the best Deadline Day!

In this exercise, Be the GM of the Celtics for Deadline Day but you can only trade for players that were actually traded and you have to match our assets for comparable value that the other teams actually recieved.Build us a contender Celticstrong! Whatcha got?

Re: Your Trade Deadline Day in Hindsight
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 09:08:16 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I think DA balked at moving Smart for Gordon. And bargain shopped on the Fournier deal losing Theis instead of using a first to dump TT. So for me I'd made those deals. If Magic really wanted Hampton then I guess it's not possible for Gordon.

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 09:41:26 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
As I've said elsewhere, I would have acquired Oladipo.  Basic gist would be Oladipo, 2nd (top 55 protected) for Theis, Green, 21 1st, cash.  You'd have to do it in 2 trades to make it work, but that is totality

Post-trade (1 open roster spot for a big man in buy out market)

Starters - Walker, Oladipo, Brown, Tatum, Thompson
Main Rotation - Smart, R. Williams, Teague, Pritchard, Ojeleye
Deep Rotation - G. Williams, Nesmith, Langford
Suits - Edwards, Waters, Fall

That team is a lot better then the current team because Oladipo is a lot better than Fournier.  Gives Boston a much better shot at advancing deeper in the playoffs.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 09:44:32 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I would do the Fournier deal.

I would have offered Theis + Thompson + Nesmith + Edwards+ #1 for Gordon.  I’m not sure whether that gets it done.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 10:02:09 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

I would have offered Theis + Thompson + Nesmith + Edwards+ #1 for Gordon.  I’m not sure whether that gets it done.

At a high level, the "hindsight" question is should we have tried to outbid Denver for Gordon.  It seems to me that Thompson + Nesmith + Pick was about equal to the Denver package.  Orlando clearly did not want Theis or they would have taken him in the Fournier deal.  To me, the price got too high for Gordon.  He really is just a decent player with potential to be a little better.  He is no sure thing.

This will be a debate for the ages along with whether we should have traded Perk, should be have taken Turner from Indy, and so on.

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 10:07:00 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Kemba + Thompson   + Romeo + Nesmith + 21/23/25 pick and 22/24/26 swaps + 3 second round picks
For
Vucevich + Gordon + Fournier

I think this is a solid offer for Orlando and leaves us under the luxury tax

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 10:25:07 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Kind of upset we lost Theis, but maybe they really think he'll get overpaid somewhere else in the offseason. Either way, thanks for everything Theis!

I know this opens up more minutes for Timelord, but boy Thompson better come back and contribute consistently because after that, our depth is G-Will and Mo Wagner. Also I wonder if the goal was to trade TT but no one else really had interest.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 10:30:49 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Kemba + Thompson   + Romeo + Nesmith + 21/23/25 pick and 22/24/26 swaps + 3 second round picks
For

Breaking this down:

Carter > Langford

Two CHI picks + one DEN pick >= 3 Celtics picks

Hampton is roughly equal to Nesmith

Harris is owed substantially less than Kemba + Thompson

Do the three pick swaps and another second rounder shift things to our favor? I don’t think that they do.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2021, 11:38:14 AM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
For

Breaking this down:

Carter > Langford

Two CHI picks + one DEN pick >= 3 Celtics picks

Hampton is roughly equal to Nesmith

Harris is owed substantially less than Kemba + Thompson

Do the three pick swaps and another second rounder shift things to our favor? I don’t think that they do.

Yeah, I think to give comparable value for Vuce:
It's R.Will in place of Carter
2021 & 2023 1st rd pick
And TPE in place of Otto Porter for salary relief.

Might be a better package than what Chicago gave but I'd say it's most comparable.

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2021, 11:46:41 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I would've offered a similar deal, but would've swapped in Romeo for Nesmith. He profiles more similarly to RJ Hampton who they're supposedly high on and frankly I'd just have preferred to keep Nesmith.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2021, 12:15:29 PM »

Offline PaxtonDarcy

• NCE
  • Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 20
Im actually pretty high on our moves. Its pretty obvious what danny saw here.

Without giving up much, we replace Haywards production (dont crush me here) Fournier is really a hayward-lite type player. A bit better of a shooter, not quite as smart or as quality overall, but that was kind of the issue with Hayward, right? He knew he deserved a bigger role. Fournier seems like the right choice to replace him without the need for more responsibility. Whats more, he will probably cost us per year what we wanted to pay Hayward. I think this is best case scenario, within what was a actual possibility.

Second, losing theis sucks. But, its easy to see why danny likes Mo. Dude competes, plays super hard, and has had some observable success playing at a high level of basketball. Kind of seems like a Brad Stevens guy, I could see this move being one that maximizes the potential value here - not saying Mo has a high ceiling, but I think he could fill a similar role to Theis. He seems like a similar guy, a bit different profile in terms of defense. But, IMO its easy to see why and how Danny rationalized this one.

Overall, I think we just got better in a few areas. Its not like we were this horrible team before the trade, we were having some struggles and needed a change, for sure. I really feel like what Danny pulled off here is as good as it could be. We still get to see what Romeo and Neismith are made of, we didnt lose Smart - which again is a win - the dude is a confidence and loyalty guy. It wouldn't surprise that Danny knows this, floating his name out then having the ability to come out and say "no way, i'm not trading smart for anything other than an all star" probably means a lot to Smart. If this is calculated, it was ....smart.

Im in on these moves, I think they protect the long term plan Danny has put in place, makes us better in the now, expresses belief and loyalty in the core group, while also giving us flexibility in the future.

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2021, 12:22:13 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Getting Gordon would have been the right moment to move on from Marcus Smart. I'm clearly in the minority, but I see him as a problem for this team's chemistry long term.

He doesn't accept his role, or have a strong understanding of what he is and isn't as an offensive player. This is particularly problematic because Kemba is not a guy with game management skills either. Between them, we can't count on end of game discipline. Neither guy is a choker, but neither is efficient, and they rarely produce the end of game passing we need. They either make their shots or they don't. They make us a bad 4th quarter team.

With Fournier now, its difficult to see how the C's give minutes to Langford and Nesmith.  Given his emotional makeup, I expect Smart to be a problem over the long run, because the team will have to ask him to accept a smaller role over time, and he won't respond well.

The only way that doesn't happen is if we clear others out (Kemba/Langford/Nesmith) to protect Smart's role. That just doesn't make sense. He shouldn't be our starting point guard long term, and we need  Langford and Nesmith to become something.

So to me, not using Smart to get Gordon was a big mistake.

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2021, 12:22:32 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'm fine with the Fournier deal and, as I've said, I actually think he might be better than Gordon at a much lower price. We don't know what goes on behind closed doors, but let's hope there really is talk of an extension or it will have been a bad use of the TPE.

Javale McGee went for 2 late 2nds, while Theis was essentially traded for Wagner and salary filler. The only thing I can think of is that Ainge actually targeted Wagner as a potential low-cost replacement for Theis in lieu of a 2nd. I would have preferred even one second and any expiring salary worth less than $4.5M for the purposes of a buy-out. Wagner and decent buy-out guy is palatable for Theis, but it would have been nice to try and recoup one or two of the 4 2nds we've sent out recently and still get the buy-out player.

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2021, 12:23:55 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I'm fine with the Fournier deal and, as I've said, I actually think he might be better than Gordon at a much lower price. We don't know what goes on behind closed doors, but let's hope there really is talk of an extension or it will have been a bad use of the TPE.

Javale McGee went for 2 late 2nds, while Theis was essentially traded for Wagner and salary filler. The only thing I can think of is that Ainge actually targeted Wagner as a potential low-cost replacement for Theis in lieu of a 2nd. I would have preferred even one second and any expiring salary worth less than $4.5M for the purposes of a buy-out. Wagner and decent buy-out guy is palatable for Theis, but it would have been nice to try and recoup one or two of the 4 2nds we've sent out recently and still get the buy-out player.
Random 2nd round picks have virtually no value as you can always find one available. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2021, 12:28:21 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Getting Gordon would have been the right moment to move on from Marcus Smart. I'm clearly in the minority, but I see him as a problem for this team's chemistry long term.

He doesn't accept his role, or have a strong understanding of what he is and isn't as an offensive player. This is particularly problematic because Kemba is not a guy with game management skills either. Between them, we can't count on end of game discipline. Neither guy is a choker, but neither is efficient, and they rarely produce the end of game passing we need. They either make their shots or they don't. They make us a bad 4th quarter team.

With Fournier now, its difficult to see how the C's give minutes to Langford and Nesmith.  Given his emotional makeup, I expect Smart to be a problem over the long run, because the team will have to ask him to accept a smaller role over time, and he won't respond well.

The only way that doesn't happen is if we clear others out (Kemba/Langford/Nesmith) to protect Smart's role. That just doesn't make sense. He shouldn't be our starting point guard long term, and we need  Langford and Nesmith to become something.

So to me, not using Smart to get Gordon was a big mistake.

We'll see what happens this summer, but I assume the goal is to re-sign Fournier for at least a couple of years. That leaves Smart and Thompson on expiring contracts totaling around $24M salary. By not giving up any of our 1sts this deadline, it gives us a number of options for trades this offseason.

As reported, Smart has a good deal of value around the league; Nesmith also seems to have some buzz. If say, Beal wanted out or TOR wanted to move on from Siakam, I think it would be pretty easy to put together a solid package. I think Danny just wanted to maintain flexibility with his picks and he did so while acquiring a very good player in Fournier.