Author Topic: Welcome Luke Kornet, If You're Still Here....  (Read 19479 times)

Re: welcome Luke Kornet, If your still here....
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2021, 08:32:48 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Luke Kornet looks more like a solid pickup than Mo Wagner

definitely .... his 3 pt shooting has come down to earth a bit.  But any open 3 shot opportunity,  feels like it will go in

The way he challenges shots at the rim, is reassuring

He looks like he knows what his role is. Wagner has no idea what he's supposed to be doing on the court.

I get that Kornet 'knows his role', but Wagner is so much more fluid both offensively and defensively. Not great that he was part of the grouping that totally blew the lead last night, but I would much rather move forward with Wagner. It is painful to me watching Kornet play basketball. I guess he's tall, though.

« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2021, 09:51:45 AM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
Given Kornet's performance in the few games we have seen him, including the Lakers game, I believe that he will be worth more than the vet minimum to some team as a backup center.  Can't teach height, and 7' 2" guys who can stroke the 3 don't grow on trees.

« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2021, 10:12:17 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Given Kornet's performance in the few games we have seen him, including the Lakers game, I believe that he will be worth more than the vet minimum to some team as a backup center.  Can't teach height, and 7' 2" guys who can stroke the 3 don't grow on trees.

2.5m x 3 hopefully does the trick.  He plays well with the group.  Knows what he has to do.

« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2021, 10:14:49 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

definitely .... his 3 pt shooting has come down to earth a bit.  But any open 3 shot opportunity,  feels like it will go in

He looks like he knows what his role is. Wagner has no idea what he's supposed to be doing on the court.

I get that Kornet 'knows his role', but Wagner is so much more fluid both offensively and defensively. Not great that he was part of the grouping that totally blew the lead last night, but I would much rather move forward with Wagner. It is painful to me watching Kornet play basketball. I guess he's tall, though.

What is it that you’ve seen from Wagner that you’ve liked?

In his time in Boston, I think he has generally looked terrible. The coaching staff is certainly treating him like an end of bencher, and his prior teams have given up on him as well.

I liked him in college, and I was interested to see what he could bring here, but has he shown himself to be anything more than a vet minimum guy? 

Kornet produces like a third-string center should.  If I had to keep just one, it would definitely be him. He seems capable of both defending the rim and being a good pick and roll defender.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2021, 10:20:26 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Leading candidate for the 3rd center role this and next season.
Heck I'd want him to be our backup centre if he keeps on playing like this. I'm not sure if anyone saw this besides him stuffing the stat sheet tonight, but his combination of height, awareness and decent mobility was massive for us defensively - he stifled everything in the paint. He was also excellent on offence as he did what Who was crying out for: high post passing and shooting with smart screens and rolls to the basket for layups or putbacks.
He gets himself in all the right places, which is weird because he moves like someone who is not very coordinated. I dig it
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #110 on: April 16, 2021, 10:29:28 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

In his time in Boston, I think he has generally looked terrible. The coaching staff is certainly treating him like an end of bencher, and his prior teams have given up on him as well.

I liked him in college, and I was interested to see what he could bring here, but has he shown himself to be anything more than a vet minimum guy? 

Kornet produces like a third-string center should.  If I had to keep just one, it would definitely be him. He seems capable of both defending the rim and being a good pick and roll defender.

Wagner has been incredibly disappointing in Boston, but he was in the rotation in Washington (15 mins a game over 25 games), led his team in Net rating, and was one of only three players to have a positive net rating.  He started 13 games for them, and Washington was 8-5 in those games compared to 6-20 in the rest of their games before he was traded.  It hasn’t worked at all here, and I don’t know why, but there was evidence that a guy in his third year had begun to figure out the NBA and could be a positive contributor off the bench.

« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2021, 10:32:09 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Leading candidate for the 3rd center role this and next season.
Heck I'd want him to be our backup centre if he keeps on playing like this. I'm not sure if anyone saw this besides him stuffing the stat sheet tonight, but his combination of height, awareness and decent mobility was massive for us defensively - he stifled everything in the paint. He was also excellent on offence as he did what Who was crying out for: high post passing and shooting with smart screens and rolls to the basket for layups or putbacks.
He gets himself in all the right places, which is weird because he moves like someone who is not very coordinated. I dig it

Yeah, you look at him and you think he’s got Travis Knight skills.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2021, 11:47:30 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Wagner has been incredibly disappointing in Boston, but he was in the rotation in Washington (15 mins a game over 25 games), led his team in Net rating, and was one of only three players to have a positive net rating.  He started 13 games for them, and Washington was 8-5 in those games compared to 6-20 in the rest of their games before he was traded.  It hasn’t worked at all here, and I don’t know why, but there was evidence that a guy in his third year had begun to figure out the NBA and could be a positive contributor off the bench.

Wagner has not been the same since he ran into a brick wall in his second game as a Celtic.

« Reply #113 on: April 16, 2021, 11:58:31 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I get it.  Presumably, Danny saw some of the same things.  But, Washington also declined his qualifying offer.  It could be its an indictment of things like Net Rating, which are really flawed estimates to begin with.

« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2021, 12:22:45 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

I get it.  Presumably, Danny saw some of the same things.  But, Washington also declined his qualifying offer.  It could be its an indictment of things like Net Rating, which are really flawed estimates to begin with.

They declined his 4th year player option, not his QO, to clarify.  It wouldn't be the first time a team has declined a rookie-scale player option only to see a guy show up a bit more in year 3.  Also, it's not like the Wizards are the shrewdest front office in the land, as they seemingly can't pick a direction to go in.  At the time they declined the option, the Wizards were about $15 million below next year's tax line with only 7 other players having guaranteed salaries, so $3.8 million might have been above their price range for a guy who at the time was a third-stringer before Thomas Bryant got hurt.

I still believe in Mo as a viable NBA reserve, but I no longer believe in Mo as a viable reserve in Boston this season, and I don't think it's been helpful to him that his limited non-garbage time minutes with the C's have been primarily played at the 4, which is not his best position.  At the time of the deal, some were worried that Mo would play himself out of the $3.8 million the C's could offer him next season -- if nothing else, that concern has been ameliorated.

« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2021, 12:59:49 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
At the time of the deal, some were worried that Mo would play himself out of the $3.8 million the C's could offer him next season -- if nothing else, that concern has been ameliorated.

That is true.  A lot of folks were suggesting that he'd fill a large percentage of Theis' role.  I know that my thought was it was sucked that we were capped at the $3.8 million in case he showed out.

I'd be happy to have him work out at the Celtics facilities in the off-season, and would give him a training camp invite.  At this point, though, I'm not sure I'd 100% give him a vet minimum deal, just because we should be able to find somebody better. 

Kornet, I'd like to sign him.  Something like 3 years, $10 million, years two and three non-guaranteed.

« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2021, 03:48:27 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

Wagner has not been the same since he ran into a brick wall in his second game as a Celtic.

:)  I recall that ...he may forgot HOW to play basketball after his brain bounced around inside his head like a ping pong ball in a jar. .  That looked like a setup or payback from another time.
He got Laimbeer’d

Re: Welcome Luke Kornet, If You're Still Here....
« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2021, 04:17:34 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Mo has been atrocious.  It is Mo or it is our system a lot of bigs have struggled under CBS or took a while to adapt.   I think it is Mo but the system probably does not help him.

« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2021, 05:21:25 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones

They declined his 4th year player option, not his QO, to clarify.  It wouldn't be the first time a team has declined a rookie-scale player option only to see a guy show up a bit more in year 3.  Also, it's not like the Wizards are the shrewdest front office in the land, as they seemingly can't pick a direction to go in.  At the time they declined the option, the Wizards were about $15 million below next year's tax line with only 7 other players having guaranteed salaries, so $3.8 million might have been above their price range for a guy who at the time was a third-stringer before Thomas Bryant got hurt.

I still believe in Mo as a viable NBA reserve, but I no longer believe in Mo as a viable reserve in Boston this season, and I don't think it's been helpful to him that his limited non-garbage time minutes with the C's have been primarily played at the 4, which is not his best position.  At the time of the deal, some were worried that Mo would play himself out of the $3.8 million the C's could offer him next season -- if nothing else, that concern has been ameliorated.

All really good stuff C21. Thank you for explaining everything so I don’t have to.

Of course I am still salty that we traded Theis for two 3rd string centers, when we just didn’t need to in order to stay below the tax; but that’s my own personal issue.

I just think Mo has a lot more potential to contribute in a versatile role, both offensively and defensively. He is switchable on defense, can hit the 3 on offense, and even has some moves (the play he got called for the hook was well beyond anything Kornet can do).

I also just hate big stiffs, especially when they aren’t particularly strong. Kornet always just seems to be clumsily dancing around on Defense and then happens to be tall enough to block a shot here and there because offensive players don’t respect him. Really hoping we move on from him. But, honestly, I don’t really care if we move on from Mo, too. Just a dumb trade imo.

Re: Welcome Luke Kornet, If You're Still Here....
« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2021, 05:24:20 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
I should also note that Kornet got to play with Brown and Tatum, while Mo was playing right garbage time with Waters and Edwards. I know we expect these guys to be professionals all of the time, but I can see guys not taking it seriously when they are only put in the game when it is out of reach. Not an excuse, but hard to know your role when you are playing with only G-League caliber players.