Author Topic: Welcome Luke Kornet, If You're Still Here....  (Read 19290 times)

Re: welcome Luke Kornet, If your still here....
« Reply #120 on: April 16, 2021, 05:35:22 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Luke Kornet looks more like a solid pickup than Mo Wagner

definitely .... his 3 pt shooting has come down to earth a bit.  But any open 3 shot opportunity,  feels like it will go in

The way he challenges shots at the rim, is reassuring

He looks like he knows what his role is. Wagner has no idea what he's supposed to be doing on the court.

I get that Kornet 'knows his role', but Wagner is so much more fluid both offensively and defensively. Not great that he was part of the grouping that totally blew the lead last night, but I would much rather move forward with Wagner. It is painful to me watching Kornet play basketball. I guess he's tall, though.

What is it that you’ve seen from Wagner that you’ve liked?

In his time in Boston, I think he has generally looked terrible. The coaching staff is certainly treating him like an end of bencher, and his prior teams have given up on him as well.

I liked him in college, and I was interested to see what he could bring here, but has he shown himself to be anything more than a vet minimum guy? 

Kornet produces like a third-string center should.  If I had to keep just one, it would definitely be him. He seems capable of both defending the rim and being a good pick and roll defender.

Wagner has been incredibly disappointing in Boston, but he was in the rotation in Washington (15 mins a game over 25 games), led his team in Net rating, and was one of only three players to have a positive net rating.  He started 13 games for them, and Washington was 8-5 in those games compared to 6-20 in the rest of their games before he was traded.  It hasn’t worked at all here, and I don’t know why, but there was evidence that a guy in his third year had begun to figure out the NBA and could be a positive contributor off the bench.

I get it.  Presumably, Danny saw some of the same things.  But, Washington also declined his qualifying offer.  It could be its an indictment of things like Net Rating, which are really flawed estimates to begin with.

They declined his 4th year player option, not his QO, to clarify.  It wouldn't be the first time a team has declined a rookie-scale player option only to see a guy show up a bit more in year 3.  Also, it's not like the Wizards are the shrewdest front office in the land, as they seemingly can't pick a direction to go in.  At the time they declined the option, the Wizards were about $15 million below next year's tax line with only 7 other players having guaranteed salaries, so $3.8 million might have been above their price range for a guy who at the time was a third-stringer before Thomas Bryant got hurt.

I still believe in Mo as a viable NBA reserve, but I no longer believe in Mo as a viable reserve in Boston this season, and I don't think it's been helpful to him that his limited non-garbage time minutes with the C's have been primarily played at the 4, which is not his best position.  At the time of the deal, some were worried that Mo would play himself out of the $3.8 million the C's could offer him next season -- if nothing else, that concern has been ameliorated.

All really good stuff C21. Thank you for explaining everything so I don’t have to.

Of course I am still salty that we traded Theis for two 3rd string centers, when we just didn’t need to in order to stay below the tax; but that’s my own personal issue.

I just think Mo has a lot more potential to contribute in a versatile role, both offensively and defensively. He is switchable on defense, can hit the 3 on offense, and even has some moves (the play he got called for the hook was well beyond anything Kornet can do).

I also just hate big stiffs, especially when they aren’t particularly strong. Kornet always just seems to be dancing around on Defense and then happens to be tall enough to block a shot here and there because offensive players don’t respect him. Really hoping we move on from him. But, honestly, I don’t really care if we move on from Mo, too. Just a dumb trade imo.

I'm not seeing the same things out there that you are, other than the disappointment in general about downgrading the team at center as we enter the playoff stretch.  Whatever fluidity the German stiff has is negated by him playing ridiculously horribly (9x as many turnovers as blocks, for instance).  At least the American stiff has played like an NBA player.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Welcome Luke Kornet, If You're Still Here....
« Reply #121 on: April 16, 2021, 07:46:23 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Dude played himself into staying on the team. That definitely deserves respect.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #122 on: April 16, 2021, 08:21:30 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Yep.  There apparently was a competition for the third center spot, and the kid played his ass off with effort.  Wagner -- a guy known for effort -- just seemed lost. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #123 on: April 16, 2021, 08:26:51 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Yep.  There apparently was a competition for the third center spot, and the kid played his ass off with effort.  Wagner -- a guy known for effort -- just seemed lost.

Yep, Kornet has filled his role well, while Wagner clearly showed he wasn’t a fit. Congrats to Luke. Still not a huge fan, but I understand why he was kept over Wagner, and am happy we added a player at a position of need (in terms of depth) rather than carrying like 6 Centers. Our team just feels more complete - I’ll try to let the Theis thing go now lol.